Thread: Day Of Infamy

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,508 Times in 52,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I find fivethirtyeight’s numbers to be most accurate, they average the polls and have him at 43%
    I also like their analysis of various issues as well. They strive to be nonpartisan and factual.

Here's an example:

"Rebalancing the courts was always going to be a challenge for President Biden. When he took over, 30 percent of active federal judges had been appointed by Trump. He also had just 49 federal court vacancies to fill at that point — less than half the number that Trump started with. But Biden campaigned on offsetting Trump’s conservative stamp by nominating judges from diverse backgrounds, and he’s gotten more judicial nominees confirmed through the Senate than any president at this point in his first term in decades. Almost half of the 61 judges he’s nominated to the lower courts have been confirmed — a larger share than Trump or former President Barack Obama — although there’s been far less consensus in the Senate about Biden’s picks.

"But perhaps even more significantly, Biden has delivered on his promise of diversity in a big way. According to our analysis, the vast majority of the judges who have been confirmed under his presidency are women or people of color. And the judges he’s named to the courts also have nontraditional professional backgrounds. They’re more likely than past crops of judges to come from fields like advocacy and academia, and more likely to have worked as public defenders than as prosecutors."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ng-the-courts/
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-07-2021), signalmankenneth (12-07-2021)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,418 Times in 7,537 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Thanks to all who serve and served defending our nation.

Much appreciation.

The freedom is wonderful. I still love America.

But I don't love what has been happening in America.

It is a shame.

We have had another day of infamy this year.

Stark difference.

December 7th 1941 united Americans behind a cause.

January 6th 2021 drove us further apart.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Earl (12-07-2021)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,563 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I also like their analysis of various issues as well. They strive to be nonpartisan and factual.

Here's an example:

"Rebalancing the courts was always going to be a challenge for President Biden. When he took over, 30 percent of active federal judges had been appointed by Trump. He also had just 49 federal court vacancies to fill at that point — less than half the number that Trump started with. But Biden campaigned on offsetting Trump’s conservative stamp by nominating judges from diverse backgrounds, and he’s gotten more judicial nominees confirmed through the Senate than any president at this point in his first term in decades. Almost half of the 61 judges he’s nominated to the lower courts have been confirmed — a larger share than Trump or former President Barack Obama — although there’s been far less consensus in the Senate about Biden’s picks.

"But perhaps even more significantly, Biden has delivered on his promise of diversity in a big way. According to our analysis, the vast majority of the judges who have been confirmed under his presidency are women or people of color. And the judges he’s named to the courts also have nontraditional professional backgrounds. They’re more likely than past crops of judges to come from fields like advocacy and academia, and more likely to have worked as public defenders than as prosecutors."

Trump appointed several federal judges that had a downvote from the bar assoc. They were clearly unqualified. They were Federalist Society picks.They were picked for the proper slant favoring the wealthy and corporations. They also had a Christian slant.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-08-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-07-2021)

7. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,508 Times in 52,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Trump appointed several federal judges that had a downvote from the bar assoc. They were clearly unqualified. They were Federalist Society picks.They were picked for the proper slant favoring the wealthy and corporations. They also had a Christian slant.
    That is true.

The QOP cares not for competence and qualifications, only that the nominee sing the right (pun intended) notes.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-07-2021)

9. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

I'm impressed by how many of our JPP "patriots" gave you groans. I guess Dec. 7 has less meaning to them than Jan. 6.
    They would groan anything that reminds them of January 6th, the day they are trying so very hard to forget ever happened.

It did happen.

It cannot be taken back.

They attacked our own government.

It's been leading up to this ever since Reagan said government was the problem.

If Reagan was so great and he was going to fix the problem, how come Americans attacked our own government on January 6th this year?

If Trump was so great, how come his term ended with people attacking the government he presided over?

Was that his idea of 'making American great again?'

It's just nonsense dog-whistle hatred peddling.

Hating our government isn't going to make it any better.

Attacking our government can't force it to do what you want.

Our government can certainly stand some improvement, but we must work within the system to do it.

Disenfranchising people from voting? WRONG!

We need MORE people voting, more people involved, more people who care enough to learn what the heck is really going on.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

signalmankenneth (12-07-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-07-2021)

11. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Nordberg,

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    The Federalist Society is a total misnomer.

They are anti-federalist all the way.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hi Ken,

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    On Dec. 7 we will be observing the 80th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt termed the day “a date which will live in infamy.” What followed was American involvement in World War II for the next four years.

Another date of infamy occurred 20 years ago with the terrorist attack on 9/11 by religious zealots. This resulted in loss of life in New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. What followed was a 20-year war in the Middle East.

On Jan. 6 we will be observing the first anniversary of another such date of infamy. On that day an armed insurrection was carried out on the U. S. Capitol by people from Trump’s party. They ransacked the building and lives were lost. What followed is an ongoing war on democracy.

The Jan. 6th attack was the result of the lies perpetrated by an election loser. Many states and counties are actively enacting election laws to subvert the will of the voters.

Please save democracy by voting in future elections to elect only those politicians who will work to protect it.

Mahesh Vyas

https://www.mcall.com/opinion/reader...qlq-story.html

Jan. 6, a Day that Will Live in Infamy

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/01/...Day-of-Infamy/

Awesome.

Thanks.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

signalmankenneth (12-07-2021), tigerred59 (12-08-2021)

14. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Hello Nordberg,

The Federalist Society is a total misnomer.

They are anti-federalist all the way.
    you blithering idiot.
    The "federalist society" = promoting federalism (balance of powers of states, feds, the people)
    the Federalist society promote such and not the statism of Dems

15. The Following User Groans At anatta For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (12-07-2021)

16. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Here's an example:

The only reason Trump got to do so many is because McConnell would not do his job. Obama made lots of nominations that were never brought to the Senate floor because of McConnell. Those seats were left unfulfilled on purpose, hoping that Republicans would win in 2016. McConnell did that even before Trump entered the race in 2015. The thing with Garland is simply the one that got news coverage because it was a SCOTUS position. It was all standard MO for McConnell. Yes, he plays dirty.

17. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Hello Sirthinksalot,

I meant what I said. I am very thankful to all who serve or have served.

But I can't help it that we now have two days of infamy in this nation.

The first one was an external enemy.

The most recent one is internal.

How can we honor the first day of infamy without recognizing that there are now two?

What happened on January 6th cannot be erased.

I know the Trump Party wants to do that, but that is wrong.

Shame on them for trying to bury it, downplay it, pretend it never happened.

It did.
    Hi Politalker,

We have a lot more infamous days than 1/6, such as 9/11 for example. A bunch of yahoos rioting and tresspassing doesn't come remotely close to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. To compare the two events is an insult to those brave men who died.

18. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    The vile Poli-squaker posted this vile post:

Cheering the death and economic harm to millions of Americans and their families...again.

Polltaker:

"Dive, market, DIVE!

Take DT down with you.

02-28-2020, 06:47 AM #5 | Top
    PoliTalker

"Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

We're going down.

BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT!

Dive! Dive! Dive!"
    I remember that. Pretty shameful to hope for the financial ruin of fellow Americans, simply to help your "team" win.

19. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's an insult to them that our democracy was attacked.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-08-2021)

21. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 96 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    nobody GAF about 1/6/ Comparing 1/6 to Pearl Harbor is grotesque dishonor to the armed forces
    Nobody on the right gives a F about 1/6 but the rest of us do and we all know for a fact, had this BLM.....you lunatics would be buying up every damn american flag on the planet and demanding negro blood. The only damn time you right-wing lunatics give a damn about this country or our soldiers are on HOLIDAYS!! Your American made Nazi nut, Trump, that orange guy, who you nuts worship......never served one day for his country, not one and you maniacs love him for it....so you sir, have no creds with your fake outrage of 1/6 vs Pearl H. day...poooooof begone!!

22. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

The only reason Trump got to do so many is because McConnell would not do his job. Obama made lots of nominations that were never brought to the Senate floor because of McConnell. Those seats were left unfulfilled on purpose, hoping that Republicans would win in 2016. McConnell did that even before Trump entered the race in 2015. The thing with Garland is simply the one that got news coverage because it was a SCOTUS position. It was all standard MO for McConnell. Yes, he plays dirty.
    The reason Mitch gets away with so much shit, is because 80% of the ppl of Ky are on some form of gov aid, mostly disability. These ppl have no skin in the game of politics because they're being paid by our tax dollars every damn month, they could give a damn about anything Mitch does, as long as he doesn't go after their welfare checks and he won't and never will. The entire course of this nation could have changed perhaps for the better, had Mitch and the sorry racist ignorant GOP done their damn jobs and Susan Collins will go down in history along with that other white mop from Ala. who could have put a permanent end to Trump and his MAGA nuts

23. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hi Ken,

Awesome.

Thanks.
    One can only hope.....but when you have a mass of ppl, who are completely ignorant, always in constant fear of brown and who reject change......the only focus they have is too preserve and protect white interest only and that will never change. I honestly don't know why we waste time on these ppl, they're not worth it.