Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Neighbor Says She Warned Children's Protective Services About Oxford Shooter's Par

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,739 Times in 27,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

Some guns are only good for killing people and practicing to kill people

It is perfectly constitutional to ban some weapons

Facts

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,304 Times in 10,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,916 Times in 4,232 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Why did they do that? Was it because the Democrats, once again, overreached and wanted to make it mandatory for all weapons?
    All new guns? Why not?

But you miss the point about the NRA and their efforts. They’re anything but about gun safety. They’re owned by the manufacturers.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

Translation: It's okay for Democrats to be liars because the Republicans do it too. Sorry, dude, but I disagree. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it.

Not at the moment, but are you denying that it only takes a single-shot pistol to commit each of the 25,000 gun suicides yet your main focus is "Scary-looking guns must be banned!"? FWIW, why do you neglect to mention the other 25,000 suicides which didn't use guns? Don't those deaths count for the Democratic Gun Ban agenda?

Inference. When a person says "White Heritage" don't you infer "racist"? When people scream "Ban AR-15s" due to 25,000 suicides, I infer they prioritize guns over better mental health care.

Someone can tally up the number of times JPP LWers screamed "Better Mental Health Care!" vs. "Ban these Weapons of War!" whenever there is a mass shooting by a mentally deranged killer. My personal assessment is that better mental healthcare only matters when someone like me brings it up.

What about string and rope? Kate Spade, Robin Williams, Anthony Bourdain and Jeffrey Epstein had no problem. Why do you think banning all guns will stop suicides?

How many of those bought the gun that same week? Here's another statistic: 100% of auto fatalities involved a car. Duh. Self-strangulation is less messy and equally painless. I'm sure there are plenty of websites and "How-To" pages for people who don't have guns to learn how use a necktie or pair of pantyhose to end their lives painlessly.
    OK, obviously this is an argument you want to have so badly that you're trying to fit me into some predetermined adversarial position. A straw man.

The problem is I don't really hold the views depicted above. I don't have all the answers. I don't know how to solve all gun violence. My view is that we have too much gun violence and we need to do more to reduce it. I see that the NRA is too powerful and has too much influence over one party, and that it represents people who make a lot of money from the gun industry. The violence really hurts our nation badly so we cannot simply turn our heads and accept it.

There are lots of facets to the problem. Nobody in their right mind thinks banning assault rifles is going to end all revolver suicides. That's just as ridiculous as it sounds.

I agree that we do not do enough to address mental health. So here's an idea. Tax the NRA heavily. Use the money to fund free mental health counseling.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,417 Times in 52,442 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch,

OK, obviously this is an argument you want to have so badly that you're trying to fit me into some predetermined adversarial position. A straw man.

The problem is I don't really hold the views depicted above. I don't have all the answers. I don't know how to solve all gun violence. My view is that we have too much gun violence and we need to do more to reduce it. I see that the NRA is too powerful and has too much influence over one party, and that it represents people who make a lot of money from the gun industry. The violence really hurts our nation badly so we cannot simply turn our heads and accept it.

There are lots of facets to the problem. Nobody in their right mind thinks banning assault rifles is going to end all revolver suicides. That's just as ridiculous as it sounds.

I agree that we do not do enough to address mental health. So here's an idea. Tax the NRA heavily. Use the money to fund free mental health counseling.
    Feel free to detail where I'm wrong.

Are we agreed that half of all of America's suicides are done with firearms?

Are we agree that the Democrats only care about the suicides that used firearms as demonstrated by your remarks?

Are we agree that a suicide only needs a single shot pistol yet the Democrats have focused upon AR-15 for three decades?

By what logic do you think this proves Democrats care more about mental health than gun control?

Tax the NRA? How can that possibly be legal under the 14th Amendment? What if they go bankrupt? No funds of mental healthcare again?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

Feel free to detail where I'm wrong.

Are we agreed that half of all of America's suicides are done with firearms?

Are we agree that the Democrats only care about the suicides that used firearms as demonstrated by your remarks?

Are we agree that a suicide only needs a single shot pistol yet the Democrats have focused upon AR-15 for three decades?

By what logic do you think this proves Democrats care more about mental health than gun control?

Tax the NRA? How can that possibly be legal under the 14th Amendment? What if they go bankrupt? No funds of mental healthcare again?
    I don't think it proves anything. I'm not trying to prove anything.

I came up with a pretty good idea.

What do you think of it?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

I don't think it proves anything. I'm not trying to prove anything.

I came up with a pretty good idea.

What do you think of it?
    Tax the NRA? First, I think it's illegal under the 14th Amendment to target one organization for political reasons.

Second, it would be nothing more than the usual token Democratic concern for mental healthcare since the NRA doesn't have that much money.

https://www.thetrace.org/2021/06/nra...uptcy-deficit/

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

Tax the NRA? First, I think it's illegal under the 14th Amendment to target one organization for political reasons.

Second, it would be nothing more than the usual token Democratic concern for mental healthcare since the NRA doesn't have that much money.

OK, so what is the best way to fund mental health services?

summa those people are so messed up they don't / can't work to pay for it.

There's a lotta really messed up people.

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

OK, so what is the best way to fund mental health services?

summa those people are so messed up they don't / can't work to pay for it.

There's a lotta really messed up people.
    The same way we fund any other medical programs. Why should it be different? It's a matter of priorities. The Republicans obviously don't give a shit. My point is that neither do the Democrats which explains why they focus on guns instead.

True. Consider that 1/3 of all homeless are mentally ill, but that percentage shoots up for the chronically homeless https://i.imgflip.com/5wyc0h.https:/...tally-ill.html

Additionally, consider that when the mentally ill commit crimes, they go to prison, not hospitals. https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/cons...tally-ill.html

Who cares? Hardly anyone. Such things are waaaaaayyyy down the list of political priorities for the Democrats and aren't even on the list of things-to-do for Republicans.

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

The same way we fund any other medical programs. Why should it be different? It's a matter of priorities. The Republicans obviously don't give a shit. My point is that neither do the Democrats which explains why they focus on guns instead.

True. Consider that 1/3 of all homeless are mentally ill, but that percentage shoots up for the chronically homeless https://i.imgflip.com/5wyc0h.https:/...tally-ill.html

Additionally, consider that when the mentally ill commit crimes, they go to prison, not hospitals. https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/cons...tally-ill.html

Who cares? Hardly anyone. Such things are waaaaaayyyy down the list of political priorities for the Democrats and aren't even on the list of things-to-do for Republicans.
    That's because these are considerations for well-informed people and there are too few of us.

Most people are easily taken in by TV commercials.

That is why there are so many of them.

They work.

The rich and powerful want to keep the masses dumb, so we have a pathetic education system.

The result is age-old problems are just perpetuated from generation to generation.

If an issue isn't 'trending' on teenage social media it gets pigeon holed.

Why isn't government corruption a big issue that everybody is concerned about? It is the root of almost all our problems.

Mental health issues are so common we probably can't give everyone the counseling they need.

So how do we pick out the ones that will, in the future, become gun killers? Minority Report was a movie. Not real.

How do we know who needs mental health counseling the most?

We can't.

It has to be a huge program. The pox over getting counseling has to be lifted. It needs to be OK to see a shrink.

Even people who seriously need help and can afford it don't get it. (Look at Trump.)

Big money = big power. People like that, you can't tell them what to do.

What about that Vegas guy. Had tons of money. He could have afforded what he really needed. But instead he decided to make a cowardly attack on innocent people.

How do we force people to get mental health care against their own will.

You know, for the good of the nation.

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

That's because these are considerations for well-informed people and there are too few of us.

Most people are easily taken in by TV commercials.

That is why there are so many of them.

They work.

The rich and powerful want to keep the masses dumb, so we have a pathetic education system.

The result is age-old problems are just perpetuated from generation to generation.

If an issue isn't 'trending' on teenage social media it gets pigeon holed.

Why isn't government corruption a big issue that everybody is concerned about? It is the root of almost all our problems.

Mental health issues are so common we probably can't give everyone the counseling they need.

So how do we pick out the ones that will, in the future, become gun killers? Minority Report was a movie. Not real.

How do we know who needs mental health counseling the most?

We can't.

It has to be a huge program. The pox over getting counseling has to be lifted. It needs to be OK to see a shrink.

Even people who seriously need help and can afford it don't get it. (Look at Trump.)

Big money = big power. People like that, you can't tell them what to do.

What about that Vegas guy. Had tons of money. He could have afforded what he really needed. But instead he decided to make a cowardly attack on innocent people.

How do we force people to get mental health care against their own will.

You know, for the good of the nation.
    Are you saying the reason the Democrats focus on banning guns instead of mental health is because they think nothing can be done about mental health?

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

Are you saying the reason the Democrats focus on banning guns instead of mental health is because they think nothing can be done about mental health?
    No, I don't speak for Democrats. I only speak for myself. I am no party spokesperson. I am one individual giving one view.

One of my observations is that there is way too much stereotyping.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-07-2021)

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    lot of stupid blacks with guns in chicago and every blue city...they commit 95% of the murders in chicago
    LIES!

WHY DOESNT EVINCE CALL OUT THIS DECADE OLD LIE?

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

No, I don't speak for Democrats. I only speak for myself. I am no party spokesperson. I am one individual giving one view.

One of my observations is that there is way too much stereotyping.
    Agreed.

Stereotyping people is one thing but stereotyping the DNC is easier since it's actually pushed by their members and part of a public agenda over the past 30 years.

When a person espouses Democratic or Republican talking points, it seems clear to me they are assuming the mantel of that "stereotype".

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,820 Times in 17,256 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

They mismanaged the money doing what corporations do. They gave free rein to their executives who lived like kings and blew the money. https://www.thetrace.org/2019/05/nra...conduct-guide/ They played those who gave for suckers.

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anyone else notice that the conversation has drifted away from the neighbor ???

. .