Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blue states are totalitarian dictatorships!

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Good for you! You caught my intentional misspelling and it's intended meaning!
    F**king idiots like you who avoid the obvious are usually poor spellers.

Now try explaining why it is not the GOP that are the real "Dicks" in Dicktatorship.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

I'd go further to say it shouldn't have a voting season that is weeks or months long but occurs over one or two days. Mail-in balloting should be rejected, as virtually the entire world has done because of the inherent potential for fraud from it. The claim fraud doesn't happen, doesn't mean the potential for it isn't present.
    This is just one example of the many lies in you post, but it is the most egregious one. Ignorance of this kind should disqualify you from voting, yet it doesn't. The vast majority of voter fraud is perpetrated by your kind of ass, and you cannot prove differently so you must repeat the lie just as your gawd trump does.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,395 Times in 3,338 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,121 Times in 1,030 Posts

The Left has no sense of humor...

If I meant it as a factual statement I wouldn't have included the exclamation mark as that is an inappropriate form of punctuation to end a factual sentence with. It shows that the statement was made as hyperbole or exaggeration.
    The problem is the Right has no sense of humor as evidenced by the comparative dearth of conservative political comics. Your own attempt (if that is what it was and not the lame excuse for humor you now say its) is all the more pathetic for your explanation. An exclamation point suggests emphasis, not hyperbole unless the context requires it and yours only suggests unfunny ludicrousness. On the other hand, if you're saying we should laugh at
    you, well...if you insist.
    Last edited by martin; 12-06-2021 at 03:39 PM.
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,175 Times in 10,393 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

From their own articke:

“we happily concede that different people value aspects of freedom differently.

“we recognize that others may define freedom differently.”

In other words, it’s their OPINION. Their libertarian opinion.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Totalitarian dictatorships are in the eyes of the beholder, perhaps.

Red states are fucktard stupid; that, in contrast, is irrefuatble fact.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,929 Times in 13,196 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    The problem is the Right has no sense of humor as evidenced by the comparative dearth of conservative political comics. Your own attempt (if that is what it was and not the lame excuse for humor you now say its) is all the more pathetic for your explanation. An exclamation point suggests emphasis, not hyperbole unless the context requires it and yours only suggests unfunny ludicrousness. On the other hand, if you're saying we should laugh at
    you, well...if you insist.
    You really don't do your homework do you?

https://www.gocomics.com/comics/political/right

Just because you don't enjoy them, and likely never look at them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Totalitarian dictatorships are in the eyes of the beholder, perhaps.

Red states are fucktard stupid; that, in contrast, is irrefuatble fact.
    In what way(s) are those states "fucktard stupid?" Give us some examples.

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

No, I'm claiming my thread title was intended as exaggeration or hyperbole.

Why should any state "...allow anyone to vote?" Would that "anyone" include the mentally unsound? Would it include illegal aliens? What about persons in prison? Dictatorships usually make voting exclusive such as only allowing party members to vote, or using things like food and water as bribes to get people to vote the right way, that is if they allow voting at all other than as a sham exercise for propaganda purposes.

I'd say when it comes to voting that systems that ensure only eligible voters cast a ballot, that the ballot is secret, and the system is as secure as possible be used. I'd go further to say it shouldn't have a voting season that is weeks or months long but occurs over one or two days. Mail-in balloting should be rejected, as virtually the entire world has done because of the inherent potential for fraud from it. The claim fraud doesn't happen, doesn't mean the potential for it isn't present. That should be reason enough to reject mail-in ballot elections. Voting should be included, and if it wasn't that's an issue. I'd say the following are things that increase repression with regards to voting because of the potential for mass fraud from them:

All mail-in balloting
    Weeks long election voting periods
    No voter ID
    Automatic voter registration without vetting
    Disallowing or restricting poll watchers
    Any voting system that doesn't generate a 100% verifiable paper trail (eg., electronic voting)
    Ballot harvesting
    Other than in-person voter registration
    Vote swapping arrangements
    Restricting verification and purge of voter rolls

My view is that a dictatorial state or nation is one that imposes onerous rules, laws, regulations, and other legal means upon its citizens such that they find little personal choice and great expense attached to doing anything and everything. Another would be onerous levels of taxation. Wealth confiscation empowers government and a dictatorship while leaving the public with no real means to fight back against it.
    Good for you in thinking you beat the hell out of your strawman.
    Let me rephrase my sentence so you can't ignore the meaning. Under the standards that were used a place that where no one is allowed to vote but gambling is allowed would be considered more free.

It seems you think dictatorships are fine as long as they control the voting but allow gambling. A dictatorship by it's very definition is a state where one person or a small group of people are in complete control. There can be benevolent dictators. The key to a dictatorship is that the dictator can't be voted out by voters. So preventing or controlling voting is the most important part of any dictatorship. You then go on to list many of the things that dictators often claim in order to control the voting so the desired outcome occurs if they do allow voting.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Concart (12-07-2021)

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

I grew up in Minnesota. Funny, I never encountered this totalitarian government that Herr Gardner the Nazi speaks of. He must be projecting.

It seems like he's decided that states rights aren't so great when they are used to let black people vote. He likes it better the other way around. The final irony, of course is that he claims that totalitarianism limits choice, and then whines and cries like a little baby because these states give TOO MANY CHOICES for voting. Given that he's a nazi, it's a good thing he's so fucking stupid.

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

If I meant it as a factual statement I wouldn't have included the exclamation mark as that is an inappropriate form of punctuation to end a factual sentence with. It shows that the statement was made as hyperbole or exaggeration.
    Stupid and infantile humor doesn't belong in General Politics forum.

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    I wouldn't know.
    I am not on the left.

And I was just trying to determine if you were being serious or not.
    He is a perfect example of Poe's law.

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Wrong again. the left has lots of comedians and humor programs. It is the right that cannot get a comedian on their side. Stomping on the people does not lend itself to humor.

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

So says the Cato institute in a survey of freedom by state.

New York and California are the most oppressive in the 48, followed by the usual suspects on the Left.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/

Seems the Left just loves a good dicktatorship.
    A study done by the Koch owned Cato Institute and you are surprised by the findings? Anyone could have predict those

Let’s put it another way, if you regulated guns, you are low on the Cato’s “freedom” scale and thusly a dictatorship. If you make it easier for citizens to vote you are a dictatorship. If you don’t enforce others’ religious beliefs you are a dictatorship. If you do your best to prevent the spread of a dangerous virus, you are a dictatorship. Etc., etc., etc

And every time I see it I have to say, it is always comical the way those on the right throw around abstract concepts as “freedom” and “liberty” as if they were bumper sticker cliches

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Texas has plans on turning the state into a police state over abortion. A pregnant girl will lose all her privacy and be a target of the police state and bounty hunters. The right claims to be for a smaller government but acts the opposite. What rights will a pregnant girl have? Whatever the religious right allows. That is not much.

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    Good for you in thinking you beat the hell out of your strawman.
    Let me rephrase my sentence so you can't ignore the meaning. Under the standards that were used a place that where no one is allowed to vote but gambling is allowed would be considered more free.

It seems you think dictatorships are fine as long as they control the voting but allow gambling. A dictatorship by it's very definition is a state where one person or a small group of people are in complete control. There can be benevolent dictators. The key to a dictatorship is that the dictator can't be voted out by voters. So preventing or controlling voting is the most important part of any dictatorship. You then go on to list many of the things that dictators often claim in order to control the voting so the desired outcome occurs if they do allow voting.
    You are making a combination of Definist fallacy and Begging the question. That is, you assume an outcome based on a narrowly picked example. Just because voting is not allowed doesn't necessarily result in a dictatorship. Certainly, putting some restrictions on voting is reasonable and that doesn't result in a dictatorship either.
    It is also possible that a dictatorship allows wide voting but remains a dictatorship. An example of this might be N. Korea. They allow and have "democratic" voting elections. However, your voting choice is the party or gulag. Other places have mandatory voting to include potential fines and even jail for not voting. Take Australia for instance. Compulsory voting is the law there require every citizen 18 and over to register to vote and show up and vote in each election--or else. You can be fined and even jailed for failing to vote. That is every bit as much a dictatorship as very restrictive voting laws are.

So, claiming that putting some restrictions on voting ends in a dictatorship is a non-starter and logical fallacy.