Thread: How To Deal With A Deadly Worldwide Pandemic

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default How To Deal With A Deadly Worldwide Pandemic

There seem to be two schools of thought on how to get through the pandemic.

A) Take it very seriously. Take proper precautions. Adjust lifestyle to protect oneself and others. Change plans. Avoid large groups. Listen to experts and authorities, heed their advice. Practice safe measures to try to eliminate transmission of the disease. Take the vaccine. Avoid sharing air by use of distancing and masks. ( Thanks to ThatOwlWoman: ) "If you come down with a respiratory illness, get tested and if positive, stay home till well again."

B) Call it all fake news. Blow off any advice from experts or authorities. Make up derogatory terms for the pandemic. Blame China. Claim no fear. Continue life as normal. Get an attitude of animosity towards experts, authorities, and others who are heeding government directives. Doubt the numbers and reports. Call it just the flu. Latch onto unverified fake treatments and prevention techniques. When others die, call them weak or claim they would have died anyway. Make fun of those who are following safety measures. Refuse the vaccine, but take credit for it if it helps your politics. Advocate for politicians to avoid taking any action to reduce deaths. Forge fake vaccine documentation if needed and try to lie your way past checkpoints. Claim that business/money is more important than lives.

I think that just about covers the two sides. Discuss?
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 12-04-2021 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added (A) suggestion by ThaOwlWoman.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (12-04-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-04-2021), Whythink (12-04-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

only self righteous morons deal in absolutes
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There are the responsible, and there are the irresponsible.

Period.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    There are the responsible, and there are the irresponsible.

Period.
    there is no defined set of actions or inactions that define responsible or irresponsible.

period.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

There's a third not considered. Take it seriously, but don't panic over it. Take reasonable precautions but don't go shutting down the economy, imposing all sorts of stringent and inflexible mandates, laws, and rules on behavior. Certainly, don't expect or impose things that are patently draconian like vaccine passports in some one-size-fits-all attempt to "do something."

People--well most people--are intelligent enough to know what's best for themselves in most situations. Relying on a paternalistic nanny state government to tell you everything you can and cannot do is not only counterproductive but downright totalitarian. Government doesn't know best and usually just fucks everything up. Sure, they can make recommendations and you can decide based on that information what to do that is best for you, but don't let bureaucrats run your life because they're idiots.

In this scenario, Fauci for example, can suggest courses of action but he should be given ZERO power to impose anything. As the OP points out, such draconian measures will only result in pushback in any case, so they're destined to fail. The usual bureaucratic response is to up the totalitarianism with even more restrictive and intrusive measures that still don't work. At some point, the imposition becomes so great that it fails and those it is imposed on stop doing what is demanded entirely when they can.

People can decide for themselves and the few idiot exceptions like a Typhoid Mary can be handled on a case-by-case basis. Kick the bureaucrats to the curb, they're fucking idiots anyway.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

anonymoose (12-04-2021), Controlled Opposition (12-04-2021), Matt Dillon (12-04-2021), McRocket (12-10-2021), redfish (12-04-2021), TOP (12-05-2021), Truth Detector (12-05-2021)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,494 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

A) Take it very seriously. Take proper precautions. Adjust lifestyle to protect oneself and others. Change plans. Avoid large groups. Listen to experts and authorities, heed their advice. Practice safe measures to try to eliminate transmission of the disease. Take the vaccine. Avoid sharing air by use of distancing and masks.

B) Call it all fake news. Blow off any advice from experts or authorities. Make up derogatory terms for the pandemic. Blame China. Claim no fear. Continue life as normal. Get an attitude of animosity towards experts, authorities, and others who are heeding government directives. Doubt the numbers and reports. Call it just the flu. Latch onto unverified fake treatments and prevention techniques. When others die, call them weak or claim they would have died anyway. Make fun of those who are following safety measures. Refuse the vaccine, but take credit for it if it helps your politics. Advocate for politicians to avoid taking any action to reduce deaths. Forge fake vaccine documentation if needed and try to lie your way past checkpoints. Claim that business/money is more important than lives.

There's kind of a middle ground too. We're an example. We got our vaccines and the booster, as well as the flu shot. We go out as we please, but try to avoid crowded times. If we do have to go inside a busy place, we wear masks. We still practice diligent hand-washing. Basically it's just all the stuff you would normally do in an active flu season, to stay healthy.

The only thing that I would add to the above is "If you come down with a respiratory illness, get tested and if positive, stay home till well again."
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (12-04-2021), McRocket (12-10-2021), PoliTalker (12-04-2021)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    There's a third not considered. Take it seriously, but don't panic over it. Take reasonable precautions but don't go shutting down the economy, imposing all sorts of stringent and inflexible mandates, laws, and rules on behavior. Certainly, don't expect or impose things that are patently draconian like vaccine passports in some one-size-fits-all attempt to "do something."

People--well most people--are intelligent enough to know what's best for themselves in most situations. Relying on a paternalistic nanny state government to tell you everything you can and cannot do is not only counterproductive but downright totalitarian. Government doesn't know best and usually just fucks everything up. Sure, they can make recommendations and you can decide based on that information what to do that is best for you, but don't let bureaucrats run your life because they're idiots.
    I really wish that that were so. I do agree with your first paragraph.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I really wish that that were so. I do agree with your first paragraph.
    It is, government today simply doesn't give people a chance to act on it. For those that are stupid, nature usually takes care of business. We shouldn't be coddling the stupid.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

McRocket (12-10-2021), redfish (12-04-2021), Truth Detector (12-05-2021)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is, government today simply doesn't give people a chance to act on it. For those that are stupid, nature usually takes care of business. We shouldn't be coddling the stupid.
    Unfortunately the trouble with the stupid is that during a pandemic, they infect others. Not everyone has the luxury that we do to be able to shop or dine out at slower times, avoid crowded work places (we are retired), go to the movies in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week, and so on. My kids are a good illustration of how stupid can affect the average person. They're all vaccinated. Yet my middle daughter's baby caught the virus from his day-care provider. He then infected both his parents and his auntie, my oldest daughter. Only my son-in-law escaped without financial harm; my daughters missed two weeks of work because their employers said "Don't come back till you test negative." Each one only had a couple of sick days saved. How many ppl can afford two weeks off w/o pay due to some unvaxxed asshole's stupidity?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-04-2021)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

A) Take it very seriously. Take proper precautions. Adjust lifestyle to protect oneself and others. Change plans. Avoid large groups. Listen to experts and authorities, heed their advice. Practice safe measures to try to eliminate transmission of the disease. Take the vaccine. Avoid sharing air by use of distancing and masks.

Do the opposite of whatever Chicken Little Politalker advocates for.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

Truth Detector (12-05-2021)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Unfortunately the trouble with the stupid is that during a pandemic, they infect others. Not everyone has the luxury that we do to be able to shop or dine out at slower times, avoid crowded work places (we are retired), go to the movies in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the week, and so on. My kids are a good illustration of how stupid can affect the average person. They're all vaccinated. Yet my middle daughter's baby caught the virus from his day-care provider. He then infected both his parents and his auntie, my oldest daughter. Only my son-in-law escaped without financial harm; my daughters missed two weeks of work because their employers said "Don't come back till you test negative." Each one only had a couple of sick days saved. How many ppl can afford two weeks off w/o pay due to some unvaxxed asshole's stupidity?
    So, you are saying in effect, that the stupid infect the stupid because if you weren't stupid you wouldn't be indulging in activities that might get you infected...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

TOP (12-05-2021), Truth Detector (12-05-2021)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

There's kind of a middle ground too. We're an example. We got our vaccines and the booster, as well as the flu shot. We go out as we please, but try to avoid crowded times. If we do have to go inside a busy place, we wear masks. We still practice diligent hand-washing. Basically it's just all the stuff you would normally do in an active flu season, to stay healthy.

The only thing that I would add to the above is "If you come down with a respiratory illness, get tested and if positive, stay home till well again."
    Nice addition. I concur. Thanks.

Done to the OP. Still had time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-04-2021)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

The lesson from hindsight: Would have been prudent to require the babysitter to be vaccinated.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Tolerance of the intolerable has never been and will never be a virtue.

The anti-vaxxers must be purged in swift, Draconian fashion
    or Covid will wipe out as significant a percentage of the overall popultion as the Bubonic Plague did centuries go.

Once again America's most tragic failing flagrantly reveals itself: the belief that moderate measures can solve immoderate problems.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So, you are saying in effect, that the stupid infect the stupid because if you weren't stupid you wouldn't be indulging in activities that might get you infected...
    Some people have no choice; they HAVE to shop when it's busy. They HAVE to send their kids to school. They HAVE to work in an office, plant, or other setting with other ppl around. Even if they are completely immunized, they can still possibly get sick from one of the stupids, like my kids did. They likely won't get *that* sick, and they likely will not die -- but they *will* miss time from work. Not everyone gets paid for being off sick for 10 days. Do you think it's fair for Sheldon Stupid to infect his whole office because he's an anti-vaxxing moron?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-05-2021)