Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 101

Thread: Property taxes make you property of the Government?

  1. #31 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25,327
    Thanks
    10,845
    Thanked 13,515 Times in 9,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,173 Times in 1,106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyszardKuklinski View Post
    Don't really care.

    Care more about establishing long term generational property security.
    Well there you go. A nationwide tax on kielbasa is the answer to your question.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  2. #32 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    11,311
    Thanks
    1,263
    Thanked 4,796 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Groans
    20
    Groaned 535 Times in 507 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    LMAO.

    Me too.

    If you can't see my post...

    Fuck off
    I actually can see your post, Althea.

    You have to work a little harder in offending me.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

    Althea (12-03-2021)

  4. #33 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25,327
    Thanks
    10,845
    Thanked 13,515 Times in 9,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,173 Times in 1,106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I actually can see your post, Althea.

    You have to work a little harder in offending me.
    Good. Then I'll continue to respond. I have people responding to my posts for almost a decade, even though they know I have them on ignore.

    I never quite figured out why?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

    NiftyNiblick (12-03-2021)

  6. #34 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    17,730
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 8,588 Times in 6,092 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 280 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    It's always interesting how conservatives have such a childish way of viewing the world. It's like they don't understand anything that is more complex than 2+2. Do you really think that if you buy a house there is no cost after the purchase? The home has costs. Many of those costs are societal costs for your home. Even if you collect the taxes in a way other than property tax, the taxes will still be collected and if you don't pay your taxes the government will take property to pay the unpaid taxes. If a city were to not collect taxes from homeowners and instead collect it from commercial property you would quickly find yourself as a city with no commercial property.
    Bullshit. If there were no property tax on a house that is annually collected for perpetuity, the house would be yours. They could shut off the gas, electricity, water for non-payment but the house remains yours. Commercial property is already property taxed and would continue to be. That cost would be factored into the cost of commercial operations at the property. The same goes for rentals. The advantage to no property tax on a primary residence is that you own the home you live in and the government can't take it away on a whim.

    It is your view that is myopic. You seem to think that the way our government does things with property tax is the only way things can be done. That's patently not true.

  7. #35 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    17,730
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 8,588 Times in 6,092 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 280 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyszardKuklinski View Post
    A lot of school taxes go to high paid teachers & sports tracks or gyms etc.

    Not that I think teachers should be paid out minimum wage.

    But, neither should people in droves move out because they can't afford property taxes.
    There was a case of this in Missouri back in the 80's. A federal judge ruled on a school system that was failing in terms of student achievement, etc. in a mostly minority district. He forced the school district to make "Taj Mahal" schools, hire the finest teachers, install all sorts of extras to make magnet schools. Over a decade of his mismanagement, the district's performance declined precipitously.

    Why? Because to pay for the over $1 billion (with a B) in costs this judge forced on the district, property taxes skyrocketed. Property owners sold and fled the district because they couldn't afford the taxes on their properties. Rents went up too. This left mostly families on section 8 rent and such in the district were they didn't feel the tax burden themselves. As such, only the lower income students from poorly educated families continued to attend schools in the district and their poor academic performance (yes, your family life has a big influence on this) caused the district's performance to decline as well.

    This judge literally taxed people out of their homes.

  8. #36 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    43,510
    Thanks
    15,726
    Thanked 11,930 Times in 9,159 Posts
    Groans
    446
    Groaned 2,413 Times in 2,229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyszardKuklinski View Post
    How are we full property owners if we pay property tax!?

    BTW. Property tax is added to the cost of rents too.


    It's an 'Illusion'.
    You ONLY 'own' your Property, if you pay the 'Property Tax'.
    Otherwise, the State 'sells' your Property to whoever is willing to pay the Tax. And then THEY 'own' it.

  9. #37 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    23,173
    Thanks
    75,493
    Thanked 12,731 Times in 7,992 Posts
    Groans
    52
    Groaned 1,231 Times in 1,161 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Not the point.

    Why not tax soda?

    Or in your case, kielbasa?
    And the 36 year old kid pays nothing, he lives with his parents
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein

    America's future is bright, not white



    ברוך השם

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to guno For This Post:

    Althea (12-03-2021)

  11. #38 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25,327
    Thanks
    10,845
    Thanked 13,515 Times in 9,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,173 Times in 1,106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    And the 36 year old kid pays nothing, he lives with his parents
    His parents probably want to charge him rent because their taxes went up. NY has very high property taxes.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

    guno (12-03-2021)

  13. #39 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25,327
    Thanks
    10,845
    Thanked 13,515 Times in 9,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,173 Times in 1,106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's an 'Illusion'.
    You ONLY 'own' your Property, if you pay the 'Property Tax'.
    Otherwise, the State 'sells' your Property to whoever is willing to pay the Tax. And then THEY 'own' it.
    County
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  14. #40 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25,327
    Thanks
    10,845
    Thanked 13,515 Times in 9,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,173 Times in 1,106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    There was a case of this in Missouri back in the 80's. A federal judge ruled on a school system that was failing in terms of student achievement, etc. in a mostly minority district. He forced the school district to make "Taj Mahal" schools, hire the finest teachers, install all sorts of extras to make magnet schools. Over a decade of his mismanagement, the district's performance declined precipitously.

    Why? Because to pay for the over $1 billion (with a B) in costs this judge forced on the district, property taxes skyrocketed. Property owners sold and fled the district because they couldn't afford the taxes on their properties. Rents went up too. This left mostly families on section 8 rent and such in the district were they didn't feel the tax burden themselves. As such, only the lower income students from poorly educated families continued to attend schools in the district and their poor academic performance (yes, your family life has a big influence on this) caused the district's performance to decline as well.

    This judge literally taxed people out of their homes.
    LOL. It's Missouri.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  15. #41 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    568
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 143 Times in 118 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 37 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyszardKuklinski View Post
    How are we full property owners if we pay property tax!?

    BTW. Property tax is added to the cost of rents too.
    if you took the stimulus money, get SS, SSI or any form of disability, which is 80% of trash white ppl in the south.....YOU TOO ARE PROPERTY OF THE FEDS, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, WHEN'S DINNER?

  16. #42 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25,327
    Thanks
    10,845
    Thanked 13,515 Times in 9,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,173 Times in 1,106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The advantage to no property tax on a primary residence is that you own the home you live in and the government can't take it away on a whim.

    It is your view that is myopic. You seem to think that the way our government does things with property tax is the only way things can be done. That's patently not true.
    The house is not yours until you have clear title. Most in discussion either rent, or don't have clear title.

    Until you do, you will lose the house if you don't pay your mortgage, or carry insurance.

    What sense is owning a home if there is no fire dept, no roads, and no police?

    I know you believe that we don't need schools.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  17. #43 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    43,510
    Thanks
    15,726
    Thanked 11,930 Times in 9,159 Posts
    Groans
    446
    Groaned 2,413 Times in 2,229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    County

    Did I say 'King', I'm sorry, I meant local 'Duke' or 'Earl, maybe 'Baron'.
    (It all goes back to the good ol' days of the War Lords)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    Althea (12-03-2021)

  19. #44 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    17,730
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 8,588 Times in 6,092 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 280 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    The house is not yours until you have clear title. Most in discussion either rent, or don't have clear title.

    Until you do, you will lose the house if you don't pay your mortgage, or carry insurance.

    What sense is owning a home if there is no fire dept, no roads, and no police?

    I know you believe that we don't need schools.
    What's that got to do with property taxes? You vehicle isn't truly yours until you pay off the loan. Most fire departments, and police are not paid from property taxes today. In many rural areas both are paid by subscription. Here's a case of that:

    https://www.firehouse.com/operations...use-burn-again

    Roads vary. In many developments, the roads are put in by the developer who then gives them to the city or county in return for a tax break on profits from the development. Parks are like that too in many cases.

    Schools can be paid by subscription too.

  20. #45 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    14,736
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    142
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerred59 View Post
    if you took the stimulus money, get SS, SSI or any form of disability, which is 80% of trash white ppl in the south.....YOU TOO ARE PROPERTY OF THE FEDS, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, WHEN'S DINNER?
    I don't live in the South & I live in New York state.

    I don't get SS, or Disability.

Similar Threads

  1. Report: Ark Encounter Cheating On Property Taxes, Hurting Local Schools
    By guno in forum Religion, Philosophy, and Ethics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-04-2019, 08:50 AM
  2. Unclaimed property
    By Irish Exit in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-13-2018, 11:09 AM
  3. SF considers taxing property owners who keep property vacant
    By cawacko in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-13-2017, 08:05 PM
  4. religious institutions and property taxes
    By Don Quixote in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM
  5. Privatizing your property taxes?
    By uscitizen in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 08:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •