Thread: The Supreme Court faces an existential crisis of legitimacy

1. #391 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,555 Times in 17,085 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Describe this racism by Lincoln.
    You post so often and know so little.https://www.history.com/news/5-thing...d-emancipation

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-06-2021), evince (12-06-2021)

3. #392 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,590 Times in 51,902 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Describe this racism by Lincoln.
    There are multiple examples but Lincoln was a man of his times just like Washington and Jefferson before him.

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-a...39fc734065b5ea
    Just inside the Statehouse hangs another revered depiction of an Illinois legend — and longtime Douglas rival — who expressed white supremacist views: Abraham Lincoln. The immense painting in the governor’s second-floor office depicts a Sept. 18, 1858, debate between the two men that opened with these words from Lincoln, who was vying for Douglas’ Senate seat and was still two years away from running for president:

“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and Black races. ... There is a physical difference between the white and Black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.”

...Guelzo, who co-created a five-step decision-making analysis for the removal of newly scrutinized memorials, believes that if Illinois uproots Douglas, Lincoln should follow, disqualified by the Matson case and his stance during the Charleston debate.

If an offensive racial opinion “is the only yardstick that we use to measure people today, they will have to pull down monuments to everybody from before 1950,” Guelzo said.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #393 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

It's a fact that 100% of us had mothers. All mothers are female. All mothers are responsible for their children. Therefore, all females are responsible for everyone.

See how that works. Now your turn with "white male racists".
    I see your point

That means women should have all the power

Otherwise we can not be responsible for everyone

Deal

5. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-06-2021)

6. #394 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    I see your point

That means women should have all the power

Otherwise we can not be responsible for everyone

Deal
    Agreed in that if a person is going to be made responsible, they need to authority to carry out that responsibility.

I have no problem leaving all the diplomacy to women.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

evince (12-06-2021), McRocket (12-07-2021)

8. #395 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are multiple examples but Lincoln was a man of his times just like Washington and Jefferson before him.

Just inside the Statehouse hangs another revered depiction of an Illinois legend — and longtime Douglas rival — who expressed white supremacist views: Abraham Lincoln. The immense painting in the governor’s second-floor office depicts a Sept. 18, 1858, debate between the two men that opened with these words from Lincoln, who was vying for Douglas’ Senate seat and was still two years away from running for president:

“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and Black races. ... There is a physical difference between the white and Black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.”

...Guelzo, who co-created a five-step decision-making analysis for the removal of newly scrutinized memorials, believes that if Illinois uproots Douglas, Lincoln should follow, disqualified by the Matson case and his stance during the Charleston debate.

If an offensive racial opinion “is the only yardstick that we use to measure people today, they will have to pull down monuments to everybody from before 1950,” Guelzo said.
    This oft-quoted statement by Lincoln is NOT racism.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

9. #396 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Agreed in that if a person is going to be made responsible, they need to authority to carry out that responsibility.

I have no problem leaving all the diplomacy to women.
    Some Indian tribes did just that

Hell it might have been you who taught me that

10. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-06-2021)

11. #397 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

This oft-quoted statement by Lincoln is NOT racism. It is simply noting that there are differences and was simply a response to a racist.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

12. #398 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Some Indian tribes did just that

Hell it might have been you who taught me that
    I didn't know about Indians per se but know that several tribal societies have matriarchal lines of leadership.

13. #399 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 3,615 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 367 Times in 352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redfish View Post
    same question for you, you fricken idiot, why is a person who kills a pregnant woman charged with two counts of murder in every state if the unborn child is not a person?
    Hmm, that's actually a good question. I'll give credit where credit's due because I don't have a great answer offhand.

14. #400 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 3,615 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 367 Times in 352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redfish View Post
    with each new post you confirm that you are a braindead lunatic who worships at the ass of obozo the kenyan
    Oh. I take back my last post. I don't worship any politician. That's you people shit.

15. #401 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I doubt the accuracy of those words ... but I DO THINK that the issue of abortion should be left to the states. Abortion is NOT mentioned in the US Constitution.
    I don’t. I think Congress needs to get off their ass and do their job and pass a federal law legitimizing abortion with specific conditions instead of passing the buck to the courts. There are to many States that would make it illegal for any reason and would criminalize women and other States that would legalize for any reason and both would be immoral as hell.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-07-2021), McRocket (12-07-2021)

17. #402 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    The overwhelming majority opposed de-segregation...it didn't matter.
    Like hell they did.

18. #403 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I don’t. I think Congress needs to get off their ass and do their job and pass a federal law legitimizing abortion with specific conditions instead of passing the buck to the courts. There are to many States that would make it illegal for any reason and would criminalize women and other States that would legalize for any reason and both would be immoral as hell.
    I partially agree with this ... yep, throwing the issue to the courts is megacowardly ... however, your open-ended "specific conditions" is EXACTLY why congress will NEVER agree. Four hundred thirty five folks are going to agree about something ... let us disregard political parties ... it just ain't never gonna happen.

Which is EXACTLY why we have the tenth amendment.

Once the subject of morality comes into the picture ... it's like arguing with someone who just found Jesus ... you're wasting your time.

19. #404 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I partially agree with this ... yep, throwing the issue to the courts is megacowardly ... however, your open-ended "specific conditions" is EXACTLY why congress will NEVER agree. Four hundred thirty five folks are going to agree about something ... let us disregard political parties ... it just ain't never gonna happen.

Which is EXACTLY why we have the tenth amendment.

Once the subject of morality comes into the picture ... it's like arguing with someone who just found Jesus ... you're wasting your time.
    I left that open ended because that would be up to Congress to determine and arrive at a compromise. Particularly what powers belong to the Feds and which to the States and what specific rights women have on this issue. Even if that’s imperfect it will probably be better than what we currently have. Though I do see your point on trusting Congress to get anything done. It’s going to take considerable political pressure by the public to get something done and even then a whole lot of people ain’t gonna like it.

20. #405 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I left that open ended because that would be up to Congress to determine and arrive at a compromise. Particularly what powers belong to the Feds and which to the States and what specific rights women have on this issue. Even if that’s imperfect it will probably be better than what we currently have. Though I do see your point on trusting Congress to get anything done. It’s going to take considerable political pressure by the public to get something done and even then a whole lot of people ain’t gonna like it.
    Yep.