Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan school shooting prosecutor suggests she will charge parents

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Michigan school shooting prosecutor suggests she will charge parents

The prosecutor overseeing the investigation into a mass killing at a Michigan high school this week strongly suggested Wednesday that she would charge the teenage suspect’s parents, an unusual move but one that gun control advocates say is essential to combating the nation’s scourge of shootings by minors.

While it is unclear how Crumbley may have obtained the gun from his father, McDonald said Wednesday that gun owners have a responsibility to secure their weapons — particularly when young people are involved.

“Those who do not do that should and will be held accountable,” she said. “We have to do better.”

McDonald said in addition to charges announced Wednesday against the teen — including four counts of first-degree murder — she expected that other charges could be filed, including against Crumbley’s parents.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mi...nts/ar-AARmz8q
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

evince (12-02-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-02-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"This was not just an impulsive act," said Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald.

"I am absolutely sure after reviewing the evidence that it isn't even a close call. It was absolutely premeditated," she said.

"Charging this person as an adult is necessary to achieve justice and protect the public."

- 'My new beauty' -

Police said that Crumbley's father, James Crumbley, had bought the nine-millimeter Sig Sauer semi-automatic handgun on November 26, the Black Friday shopping holiday in which US stores offer deep discounts to open the Christmas shopping season.

The teen posted a picture of the gun on his Instagram page, writing: "Just got my new beauty today."

He brought three 15-round magazines with him, and had 18 rounds left when police advanced on him in the school and forced him to surrender.

"He came out of the bathroom, began shooting, moved through hallways, and back through hallways and was apprehended in the hallway. Never went into a room," said Bouchard.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...ice/ar-AARmab7
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

evince (12-02-2021), Grokmaster (12-02-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-02-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

her gats ta be big an bad cuz bein a lib ain't ezy

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,613 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

one interesting aspect of this case is the kids behavior problems and the timeline

Did the parents have any awareness of his issues at school when they bought the gun on Black Friday and allowed him access?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zymurgy For This Post:

Grokmaster (12-02-2021), Guno צְבִי (12-02-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    one interesting aspect of this case is the kids behavior problems and the timeline

Did the parents have any awareness of his issues at school when they bought the gun on Black Friday and allowed him access?
    Most parents would think it was just talk. teenagers often talk tough. Who would want to think the kid they raised would murder classmates?

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Most parents would think it was just talk. teenagers often talk tough. Who would want to think the kid they raised would murder classmates?
    I'm very conservative, very religious and very, very pro-gun. I raised my son to be the same. There is a semi-auto Ruger 22 in the corner of my living room by the front door (for armadillos, bobcats, possums, etc), a 9mm pistol on my dresser that I carry every day and a 9mm by my bed. These are the unsecured guns in my house. It appears the son demonstrated problems in the days prior and from what I've read, were it me I would have made my weapons very secure until I felt the kid was in a better place mentally. But then I'm a school teacher and I've seen kids do things (sometimes kids you think are "good" kids) you never would have believed kids would do. I'm on the fence about charging parents but it might not be a bad thing. We've got to learn to be more attentive to the psychological well being of our kids.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Grokmaster (12-02-2021), Guno צְבִי (12-02-2021), Into the Night (12-02-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-02-2021)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

So if 14 year old takes the family car, drives 125 MPH kills a family of 4...the parents of the kid should be charged and GM sued

12. The Following User Says Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

Grokmaster (12-02-2021)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I'm very conservative, very religious and very, very pro-gun. I raised my son to be the same. There is a semi-auto Ruger 22 in the corner of my living room by the front door (for armadillos, bobcats, possums, etc), a 9mm pistol on my dresser that I carry every day and a 9mm by my bed. These are the unsecured guns in my house. It appears the son demonstrated problems in the days prior and from what I've read, were it me I would have made my weapons very secure until I felt the kid was in a better place mentally. But then I'm a school teacher and I've seen kids do things (sometimes kids you think are "good" kids) you never would have believed kids would do. I'm on the fence about charging parents but it might not be a bad thing. We've got to learn to be more attentive to the psychological well being of our kids.
    His parents were called into school a day earlier

Charges filed in Michigan school shooting that left 4 dead; suspect's 'concerning behavior' led school to call parents Tuesday, sheriff says

Bouchard said that the suspect's father bought the gun Friday and that the teen appeared to post images of the gun online days before the shooting.

Undersheriff Michael McCabe acknowledged there were rumors about warning signs, which were being investigated. One parent told The Associated Press that her son was not in school over fears something could happen.

The suspect had been flagged twice by school personnel for "concerning behavior" before the attack, Bouchard said. The first time happened the day before the shooting and the second hours before the attack.

Bouchard said the suspect's parents were brought to the school around 10 a.m. for a meeting with the student and school personnel, about three hours before the shooting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/8819483002/
    Last edited by Guno צְבִי; 12-02-2021 at 03:29 PM.

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Many parents are disinterested and do not look for trouble. Some kids are easily convinced by others. Perhaps the online sites can do it too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-02-2021)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,923 Times in 13,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Unless the prosecutor has state law requiring the gun be secured in some manner to point to, trying to convict someone who bought a pistol just four days earlier of being proximate to the cause of the shooting is going to be difficult unless she can show this kid has a history of issues the parents clearly knew about. If things went downhill for this kid just a day or two before the shooting and there was no previous indication of issues, that's going to be a big mountain to climb.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    So if 14 year old takes the family car, drives 125 MPH kills a family of 4...the parents of the kid should be charged and GM sued
    And you were all hopped up about a black women keeping her kid home because of rumors, that turned out to be true , your Black thug shooter is shot down

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

20. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-02-2021)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

22. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-02-2021)

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Unless the prosecutor has state law requiring the gun be secured in some manner to point to, trying to convict someone who bought a pistol just four days earlier of being proximate to the cause of the shooting is going to be difficult unless she can show this kid has a history of issues the parents clearly knew about. If things went downhill for this kid just a day or two before the shooting and there was no previous indication of issues, that's going to be a big mountain to climb.
    You worship death and evil