Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Conservatives agree we have rights not mentioned in the Constitution?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,689 Times in 5,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Do Conservatives agree we have rights not mentioned in the Constitution?

Do you small government types agree we have a right to privacy from the Government regarding our own medical decisions, or does the Government have a right to dictate our medical care if they so choose?

I am not talking about insurance or what they will pay for, I am talking about making decisions with your doctor.

Does the Constitution protect your right to choose Chemotherapy or decline it, or should the government be allowed to outlaw or mandate certain medical and other personal decisions?

What about deciding who you can marry? What about who can use contraception? What about who can have or not have children?

Does the Constitution make us free from government intrusion in our most personal of private decisions about ourselves?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

domer76 (12-02-2021), evince (12-02-2021), gemini104104 (12-02-2021), Guno צְבִי (12-02-2021), PoliTalker (12-02-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Do you small government types agree we have a right to privacy from the Government regarding our own medical decisions, or does the Government have a right to dictate our medical care if they so choose?

I am not talking about insurance or what they will pay for, I am talking about making decisions with your doctor.

Does the Constitution protect your right to choose Chemotherapy or decline it, or should the government be allowed to outlaw or mandate certain medical and other personal decisions?

What about deciding who you can marry? What about who can use contraception? What about who can have or not have children?

Does the Constitution make us free from government intrusion in our most personal of private decisions about ourselves?
    yes.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    yes.
    Thank you, so you see that R v. W is a situation where we are forced to balance two conflicting rights?

If Roe is overturned on the basis that we do not have the right to privacy, as the Republican lawyers argued, what do you think that will do to that right?

Ill tell you, we will LOSE it!

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thank you, so you see that R v. W is a situation where we are forced to balance two conflicting rights?

If Roe is overturned on the basis that we do not have the right to privacy, as the Republican lawyers argued, what do you think that will do to that right?

your framing is off.

you can't cover murder with a right to privacy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blackwater Lunchbreak For This Post:

ExpressLane (12-02-2021), PostmodernProphet (12-03-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

your framing is off.

So you call it murder, but others do not. The law does not, not even the Texas law.
    So your argument then is that we do have a right to privacy in the Constitution, but that right is limited?

LOCK HIM UP!

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you call it murder, but others do not. The law does not, not even the Texas law.
    So your argument then is that we do have a right to privacy in the Constitution, but that right is limited?
    yes. and in such instances, authorities must get a search warrant to violate that privacy.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

of course, every right has limits......tell me one that isn't.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Jarod (12-03-2021)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

your framing is off.

And the government can't legislate that a woman has to die if she carries a fetus that will kill her? Or is it not murder if it's a conservative government killing people?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    And the government can't legislate that a woman has to die if she carries a fetus that will kill her? Or is it not murder if it's a conservative government killing people?
    im pro choice. but it is killing a human. this will probably result in a shortened decision window.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

as I said, life versus life.......the issue of disagreement is privacy versus life.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

your framing is off.

So if a fetus is a person and they are in the US but are not a citizen should they be deported since they have not entered the country legally at a border crossing?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

15. The Following User Groans At Poor Richard Saunders For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (12-03-2021)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Jarod (12-02-2021), PoliTalker (12-02-2021)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So if a fetus is a person and they are in the US but are not a citizen should they be deported since they have not entered the country legally at a border crossing?
    yes, if the mother is here illegally.

if they are born here they are a citizen. that's the law.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 Times in 3,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Doubtful Roe will be overturned. More likely the Court will follow Roberts' suggestion that 15 rather than 24 weeks is enough time for a woman to "choose" despite the squeeze that would create.
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Doubtful Roe will be overturned. More likely the Court will follow Roberts' suggestion that 15 rather than 24 weeks is enough time for a woman to "choose" despite the squeeze that would create.
    I agree, and once that is done, its only a matter of time that they chip it down to a point where it becomes impossible for a woman to know she is pregnant in time.

It might actually result in more abortion because woman will have to make split decisions.

But what about the Republican talking point that the Right to Privacy is invalid and not legit?

LOCK HIM UP!

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 Times in 3,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

I agree, and once that is done, its only a matter of time that they chip it down to a point where it becomes impossible for a woman to know she is pregnant in time.

It might actually result in more abortion because woman will have to make split decisions.

But what about the Republican talking point that the Right to Privacy is invalid and not legit?
    Yes, 15 weeks is already close. Discovering you are pregnant is just the first, simplest event. Then there is the time in absorbing the difficult news and deciding what do, then finding a clinic, then getting the appointment in time and the transportation difficulty if one arises in getting there. Roberts sounded impervious to the lawyer's lucid statement on the special challenges the time limit may present to poor women. His position is also logically unsound.
    If an abortion is not unconstitutional prior to viability why is it necessary or even reasonable to shorten the legal non-viability period.
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Post:

Jarod (12-02-2021), PoliTalker (12-02-2021)