Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Will the death of R v W kill the Republicans chances?

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,871 Times in 21,643 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    If the right of a woman to have an abortion is protected by the Constitution, then any law that has the practical effect of denying women an abortion would be unconstitutional. At a certain point, lowering the limit would have that practical effect. Because by the time the gestation period can be accurately identified, a low enough limit would make abortions impossible.
    The argument the Supreme court made in Roe is that the right to privacy of medical decisions is protected, AND the unborn's right to life is protected at some point... so a balance must be struck to determine at what point the unborn's rights begin to outweigh the woman's right to medical decisions, they chose viability.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I would hope they would use brain activity, the same measure we use to determine when you are no longer a person should be used to determine when you become a person.

Viability will continue to happen earlier and earlier in pregnancy as we get better at ex utero incubation.
    Makes sense, it might be as good a measure as any, but I suspect brain activity starts at a very low level early on.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

3. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    But that would mean that leftists everywhere would be declared nonviable.
    LOL.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,728 Times in 27,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,585 Times in 18,174 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    It's about right and wrong, it's right to kill RoeVWade, it is not constitutional as it has been described. It does not permit for equal protection, it is a fabricated right! Politics be damned, God will allow whom he wants to be in charge of the government, according to his plan, and his will!
    AMERICA DOESNT AGREE

YOUR IDIOT LOVE OF GUNS IS KILLING KIDS EVERY DAY

YOU DONT CARE

YOU ARE LYING

5. #215 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

6. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Makes sense, it might be as good a measure as any, but I suspect brain activity starts at a very low level early on.
    I think it would depend on what type of brain activity. While enough to make your heartbeat is early on, brain stem activity is not enough to claim "life" at the end of life. Some folks who are brain dead have heartbeats, etc. I think the level of brain activity where the fetus can begin to "wonder" (as I noted earlier) begins sometime around 18 weeks, giving nearly 5 months before you hit "person" and that is surely enough time for them to make such a decision.

But heck, I don't know what they will eventually decide, hence my interest.

The Christians read into the verse where their god says the "knew you before you were in in the womb" and thus believe that it is a person even before then... They will never be happy with any decision other than "none"...

The Buddhists will be much like me. If it can "wonder" then it is a person.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Jarod (12-03-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-03-2021)

8. #217 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

9. #218 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Women are beings with full rights or they are not

I say they are

No fucking right wing political moves for powers sake will change that

The party will die

It’s beginning to feel like the party just wants to have its plug pulled

It’s obviously becoming brain dead

10. #219 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think it would depend on what type of brain activity. While enough to make your heartbeat is early on, brain stem activity is not enough to claim "life" at the end of life. Some folks who are brain dead have heartbeats, etc. I think the level of brain activity where the fetus can begin to "wonder" (as I noted earlier) begins sometime around 18 weeks, giving nearly 5 months before you hit "person" and that is surely enough time for them to make such a decision.

But heck, I don't know what they will eventually decide, hence my interest.

The Christians read into the verse where their god says the "knew you before you were in in the womb" and thus believe that it is a person even before then... They will never be happy with any decision other than "none"...

The Buddhists will be much like me. If it can "wonder" then it is a person.
    Its a well thought out position and one I can get onboard with, however I am more comfortable with Government using science than Religion to make this decision.

If you take what some Christians (I will point out that many do not) claim about God knowing you, then contraception should also be banned.

I know many pro-choice Christians who believe viability is the point of life starting, plenty who believe birth is the point.

LOCK HIM UP!

11. #220 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Its a well thought out position and one I can get onboard with, however I am more comfortable with Government using science than Religion to make this decision.

If you take what some Christians (I will point out that many do not) claim about God knowing you, then contraception should also be banned.

I know many pro-choice Christians who believe viability is the point of life starting, plenty who believe birth is the point.
    To me it just makes sense to use the same measure for when life starts as to when it ends.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

12. #221 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

The argument the Supreme court made in Roe is that the right to privacy of medical decisions is protected, AND the unborn's right to life is protected at some point... so a balance must be struck to determine at what point the unborn's rights begin to outweigh the woman's right to medical decisions, they chose viability.
    Right, I get that. And I also get there are two separate issues here. Does a woman have the right to an abortion, and at what point is that right NOT absolute. If the right is never absolute, then effectively the answer to the second is 'no' and Roe v Wade is gone.

13. #222 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

To me it just makes sense to use the same measure for when life starts as to when it ends.
    Its a good argument.

LOCK HIM UP!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

evince (12-03-2021)

15. #223 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When does it end?

16. #224 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Right, I get that. And I also get there are two separate issues here. Does a woman have the right to an abortion, and at what point is that right NOT absolute. If the right is never absolute, then effectively the answer to the second is 'no' and Roe v Wade is gone.
    yup, I agree, except it is the right to privacy from government involvement in her medical decisions.

LOCK HIM UP!

17. #225 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Its a good argument.
    And it effectively removes a woman's right to an abortion, if heartbeat is the measure. The heartbeat begins as early as 3 weeks, but can't be detected until six or seven weeks. By the time you can determine whether there is a heartbeat, the door is closed. If that's the measure, Roe v Wade is dead.