Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Riley headed to USC

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    obviously.......and intelligent people prefer Mayberry.....
    Nah, any one intelligent wouldn't want to die a death of mediocrity in Norman, Oklahoma

2. The Following User Groans At archives For This Awful Post:

leaningright (11-29-2021)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'm not sure how you look at this signing, and all that Bohn has done as AD, and say we aren't willing to spend money.

(I'm an Oakland A's fan. I know what not spending money looks like, this isn't it.)
    Again, they have the bucks, and are willing to spend enough to keep the alumni and fans happy, but it is crossing the Rubicon to spend and go to the ends the way those select few State schools do and I don't believe a private school especially one with an academic reputation will go that far, Notre Dame hasn't and can't see USC doing it either

And don't get me wrong, nothing missing with that, in fact just the opposite is true, just as enjoyable beating your traditional rivals and competing for your Conference championship, all about that particular Saturday afternoon

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Saké View Post
    It's like 2003-2005 never happened, or something.
    Nearly two decades ago, and college football isn't the same today as it was then

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Ummmm... we just gave Riley a ten year $100+ million contract. You think we don't have the money? Forbes has a chart that shows the Universities with the most (undergrad) billionaires and 'SC was like fifth on the list. Point being, while we may not spend the exact same amount as Alabama the money will be there.

Pete Carroll had a great quote. When asked about all this money other schools were spending on fancy indoor practice facilities and why USC wasn't he responded "because its 70+ degrees every day here and gorgeous. We'll practice outside."
    "USC has won 17 national championships from NCAA-designated major selectors"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

cawacko (11-29-2021)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Saké View Post
    It's like 2003-2005 never happened, or something.
    Thank you. Back to back national championships and seconds away from winning three in a row. If the playoffs existed back then we would have made them in subsequent years as well.

He's fixated on money instead of the real issues such as the massive NCAA sanctions and then the failures of our AD's in hiring Sark and Helton (as well as other issues at the school).

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thank you. Back to back national championships and seconds away from winning three in a row. If the playoffs existed back then we would have made them in subsequent years as well.

He's fixated on money instead of the real issues such as the massive NCAA sanctions and then the failures of our AD's in hiring Sark and Helton (as well as other issues at the school).
    You are living in the past my friend, living in the past

Look at the champions since that time; Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, Alabama, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Texas, Florida, and since they inaugurated playoffs, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama.

Now tell me honestly, you don't see a definite trend here? Of the 130 schools playing Division I college football only seven schools have won the National Championship in the last sixteen years, only three since the playoff system was instituted? And now you think a private school in California is going to buck that trend? Notre Dame couldn't, and USC is going to cause they hired a new coach and the AD is committed to spending money? Goes beyond just spending money

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

Look at the champions since that time; Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, Alabama, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Texas, Florida, and since they inaugurated playoffs, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Clemson, Alabama.

Now tell me honestly, you don't see a definite trend here? Of the 130 schools playing Division I college football only seven schools have won the National Championship in the last sixteen years, only three since the playoff system was instituted? And now you think a private school in California is going to buck that trend? Notre Dame couldn't, and USC is going to cause they hired a new coach and the AD is committed to spending money? Goes beyond just spending money
    There are definitely factors involved such as academic standards, how many academically challenged players will you give special admissions too etc. No question. But that's not a money thing. You've always said it's just a money thing.

Alabama struggled for years before Saban. Texas has more money than anyone and look at what they've done. Clemson was really nothing until they struck gold with Dabo and now people are talking about their dynasty being over. These things ebb and flow. Between the sanctions and internal mismanagement USC has been in the wilderness this past decade but there's a reason people call us a sleeping giant. You just saw it awakened today.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Minister of Truth (11-29-2021)

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I’ll be rooting for Riley to be as successful at USC as the last few coaches have been. Sorry Cawacko.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Minister of Truth (11-29-2021)

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I’ll be rooting for Riley to be as successful at USC as the last few coaches have been. Sorry Cawacko.
    Haha, understandable feelings.

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

You're list includes Saban x7, Meyer x3, and Sweeney x2.

In the 1940s, half of the championships were won by Leahy, and he didn't even get two coach for two years because of WWII.

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Again, they have the bucks, and are willing to spend enough to keep the alumni and fans happy, but it is crossing the Rubicon to spend and go to the ends the way those select few State schools do and I don't believe a private school especially one with an academic reputation will go that far, Notre Dame hasn't and can't see USC doing it either

And don't get me wrong, nothing missing with that, in fact just the opposite is true, just as enjoyable beating your traditional rivals and competing for your Conference championship, all about that particular Saturday afternoon
    LSU to hire Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly as next football coach, sources say
    https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...86a2b07fd.html

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nah, any one intelligent wouldn't want to die a death of mediocrity in Norman, Oklahoma
    dude, you will be mediocre wherever you live......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

There are definitely factors involved such as academic standards, how many academically challenged players will you give special admissions too etc. No question. But that's not a money thing. You've always said it's just a money thing.

Alabama struggled for years before Saban. Texas has more money than anyone and look at what they've done. Clemson was really nothing until they struck gold with Dabo and now people are talking about their dynasty being over. These things ebb and flow. Between the sanctions and internal mismanagement USC has been in the wilderness this past decade but there's a reason people call us a sleeping giant. You just saw it awakened today.
    If it is all about money Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and MIT should be big football powerhouses.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

cawacko (11-30-2021)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    If it is all about money Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and MIT should be big football powerhouses.
    They were at the start of the 20th century
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I