Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Riley headed to USC

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    If it is all about money Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and MIT should be big football powerhouses.
    They actually were at the beginning of the 20th century until they decided to de-emphasize the sport. In the 1920's USC hired the legendary Howard Jones to be our coach and he won 4 national titles at USC between 1928 - 1939. As a player at Yale from 1905 - 1907 his teams went 28-0-2 and won three national titles.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    They actually were at the beginning of the 20th century until they decided to de-emphasize the sport. In the 1920's USC hired the legendary Howard Jones to be our coach and he won 4 national titles at USC between 1928 - 1939. As a player at Yale from 1905 - 1907 his teams went 28-0-2 and won three national titles.
    One recruit in my area has already withdrawn his commitment to OK and one who had withdrawn his commitment to USC after the coach was fired has changed his mind and decided to attend after hiring Riley.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

There are definitely factors involved such as academic standards, how many academically challenged players will you give special admissions too etc. No question. But that's not a money thing. You've always said it's just a money thing.

Alabama struggled for years before Saban. Texas has more money than anyone and look at what they've done. Clemson was really nothing until they struck gold with Dabo and now people are talking about their dynasty being over. These things ebb and flow. Between the sanctions and internal mismanagement USC has been in the wilderness this past decade but there's a reason people call us a sleeping giant. You just saw it awakened today.
    Well, good luck to you, but from what little I know of USC, ain’t seeing it, when I hear that USC recruits are given new cars upon commitment I’ll believe you (https://totalfratmove.com/tfm/alabam...n-the-country/)

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Saké View Post
    College football has changed a lot since the 70s. Not so much since the early 2000s.
    Disagree, when they began the playoff system I believe in 2014 it changed, and is continuing to change, dramatically, all about money now, and what you are willing to do as a school to win

6. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

anonymoose (11-30-2021)

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    If it is all about money Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and MIT should be big football powerhouses.
    Not true, not all about having the money, but what you are willing to do when you do have the money, the Ivies refused to cross the bridge a long time ago

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Notre Dame is now going to be in the hunt for a new coach. Hopefully it will be one who understands the QB position.
    Which brings one to my point, college football is not what it was even at the beginning of this Century, is all about money now

“Brian Kelly's move from Notre Dame to LSU shows college football has a real problem on its hands”
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...er/8803498002/

Pretty obvious Kelly is leaving cause he can do, rather has more “liberty” to do, what he wants at LSU than he ever could at Norte Dame, and to suddenly skip out on the kids he recruited while they still have a chance to make the playoffs for a national championship says it all

As the article says, imagine what Sabin is going to demand at his next contract negotiations, and he’ll get it without raising an eyebrow

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Disagree, when they began the playoff system I believe in 2014 it changed, and is continuing to change, dramatically, all about money now, and what you are willing to do as a school to win
    Every program that was dominant in 2014, was already dominant in 2010, except for Clemson.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well, good luck to you, but from what little I know of USC, ain’t seeing it, when I hear that USC recruits are given new cars upon commitment I’ll believe you (https://totalfratmove.com/tfm/alabam...n-the-country/)
    I'm not fully up on the whole N.I.L. thing but being in L.A. these kids will do alright on that front (but yes, cheating is breathing in the SEC and places like Oregon). I think you have been mistaking NCAA penalties and USC internal incompetence, which can be overcome/fixed, for structural issues that likely can't be fixed. USC has suffered this past decade from the former. There's a reason this hire has been dominating national discussion the last couple of days. If it were structural issues holding back the program that wouldn't be the case.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Which brings one to my point, college football is not what it was even at the beginning of this Century, is all about money now

“Brian Kelly's move from Notre Dame to LSU shows college football has a real problem on its hands”
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...er/8803498002/

Pretty obvious Kelly is leaving cause he can do, rather has more “liberty” to do, what he wants at LSU than he ever could at Norte Dame, and to suddenly skip out on the kids he recruited while they still have a chance to make the playoffs for a national championship says it all

As the article says, imagine what Sabin is going to demand at his next contract negotiations, and he’ll get it without raising an eyebrow
    Notre Dame needed to move on from Kelly. Golson, Kizer, and Wimbush all regressed under his coaching. Rees had a low ceiling, so it didn't matter what he did, and Book was the only one of the bunch to improve as a QB. Kelly then took Coan from Wisconsin, despite his middling performance there, likely because he didn't consider the younger guys ready to start.

LSU will not be able to compete for a championship with Kelly handicapping the essential position.

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Every program that was dominant in 2014, was already dominant in 2010, except for Clemson.
    But only three since then, and if you take out Florida State, there are only six up until that time, point being out of the 130 or so colleges playing Division I football there are only a half dozen or so that realistically can win the championship.

Think of it like Nascar, their may be forty cars staring the event, but only five or six that stand a chance of winning, again, as in college football, it comes down to money and what you are willing to do with the money

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not fully up on the whole N.I.L. thing but being in L.A. these kids will do alright on that front (but yes, cheating is breathing in the SEC and places like Oregon). I think you have been mistaking NCAA penalties and USC internal incompetence, which can be overcome/fixed, for structural issues that likely can't be fixed. USC has suffered this past decade from the former. There's a reason this hire has been dominating national discussion the last couple of days. If it were structural issues holding back the program that wouldn't be the case.
    There is no way the media in Los Angles would let USC or any high profile local university get away with what occurs as routine in some SEC schools. And again, what little I know of USC, I don’t think the school would want to go there, but without doing such USC, or any school, can’t compete for a national championship with those half dozen schools that do

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Notre Dame needed to move on from Kelly. Golson, Kizer, and Wimbush all regressed under his coaching. Rees had a low ceiling, so it didn't matter what he did, and Book was the only one of the bunch to improve as a QB. Kelly then took Coan from Wisconsin, despite his middling performance there, likely because he didn't consider the younger guys ready to start.

LSU will not be able to compete for a championship with Kelly handicapping the essential position.
    Sure they will, he will have the finances and desire to do anything necessary to load the roster with several potential quarterbacks, rest would be just fitting one to the gasmen plan. There is a reason Alabama will get five star recruits to sign with them even though they know they will ride the bench for two or three years and could start elsewhere

15. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There is no way the media in Los Angles would let USC or any high profile local university get away with what occurs as routine in some SEC schools. And again, what little I know of USC, I don’t think the school would want to go there, but without doing such USC, or any school, can’t compete for a national championship with those half dozen schools that do
    If it's simply a matter of cheating and paying players how did USC win under Carroll? It's not like cheating is new to the SEC. And with the N.I.L. kids can get paid legally now.

16. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If it's simply a matter of cheating and paying players how did USC win under Carroll? It's not like cheating is new to the SEC. And with the N.I.L. kids can get paid legally now.
    As I said above, different era, too much money at stake now, and some schools in the SEC now will go further, they’ll have no concern over new rules nor following them.

Look at SEC basketball, a dozen years ago they had one team competing on a national level, maybe a second for a year or two, but now, half the league is in the top twenty rankings. Suddenly kids with urban backgrounds are finding Alabama intriguing? There is a reason for that, and it ain’t what the school can offer academically. And this is what you are competing against be it basketball or any other sport that draws the big bucks