Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lincoln Riley headed to USC

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Until recently Gonzaga had ZERO tradition and still has never won a national title. Mark Few has built an incredible program (because coaching matters which you choose not to discuss). Not every (black) kid comes from an urban background. And for those that do getting out of the City is important to some (USC loses L.A. kids whose families want to them to get away from City life).

Alabama earned a 2 seed in hoops last year. Teams have good years, it's not impossible. Thought they got some local stud to stay home. Again, not uncommon.
    I almost hate to post this (for fear it might go south) but some who are supposed to be in the know say that Caleb Williams hasn't hit the transfer portal already because he and his parents like Norman so much so they’re waiting to see what Stoops and company can get done as far as keeping/putting together a decent team. He was court side tonight taking selfie’s and posing with fans while we beat Florida in basketball.

You’re right, some folks learn that they like smaller towns (I’d never live in Norman, it’s much to big for me) or even different areas of the country once they get to experience them. One of our sports radio personalities from Youngstown, OH who played at OSU (that’s Oklahoma State University) talks about getting off the plane at Stillwater (much smaller and much more countrified than Norman … where I really wished my boy would have gone even though I’m OU sports all the way) when he was 18 and how he just fell in love with the people and the town … he and his family are still here. There are several such stories.

Life here isn’t for everyone and for that I am thankful, but some do come here and never leave.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I almost hate to post this (for fear it might go south) but some who are supposed to be in the know say that Caleb Williams hasn't hit the transfer portal already because he and his parents like Norman so much so they’re waiting to see what Stoops and company can get done as far as keeping/putting together a decent team. He was court side tonight taking selfie’s and posing with fans while we beat Florida in basketball.

You’re right, some folks learn that they like smaller towns (I’d never live in Norman, it’s much to big for me) or even different areas of the country once they get to experience them. One of our sports radio personalities from Youngstown, OH who played at OSU (that’s Oklahoma State University) talks about getting off the plane at Stillwater (much smaller and much more countrified than Norman … where I really wished my boy would have gone even though I’m OU sports all the way) when he was 18 and how he just fell in love with the people and the town … he and his family are still here. There are several such stories.

Life here isn’t for everyone and for that I am thankful, but some do come here and never leave.
    There were rumors on our board that Caleb would follow Lincoln and transfer but nothing definitive. For many of the kids it’s a “business decision” as they say as they want to play for the coach they think gives them the best chance to both win and get to the next level, regardless of location.

But no question it’s also about where do you want be/live for the four years you are in school. And just like the rest of us, some kids like more urban settings and others like the small college town feel.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Even though "cawacko" don't believe it, USC, regardless of who they hire or recruit, is never going to actually play for the national championship, being a private school they are never going to spend the money nor devote the resources that the half dozen or so perennial State schools do for that very purpose
    Archives, how do you like those five stars Riley has already flipped?! You're a New Yawker so it my be understandable you don't pay close attention to California but I've been telling you, these kids are looking for a reason to stay home, Helton didn't provide it but Riley does.

It's being reported we reached out to Brent Venables to be our DC before he took the OU job. No guarantee he would have left Clemson for another DC job but he was the highest paid assistant in the country. We weren't reaching out offering him a pay cut.

It's looking like this at USC my man.