Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Exonerated after 43 Years in Prison Following Wrongful Conviction

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,090 Times in 25,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Thanks for proving my point. Broke ass, welfare collecting, talking out your ass democrat. LMAO!
    Show your annual charitable contributions... if you made any. I think it's bullshit.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Yet this white guy might think otherwise.

Michigan man exonerated of murder after 32 years in prison

DETROIT -- A man was exonerated Wednesday after 32 years in prison when authorities agreed that he was wrongly convicted of a fatal stabbing in suburban Detroit based on faulty evidence, including a bite mark on the victim.

For years, Gilbert Poole Jr. had challenged his first-degree murder conviction with expertise from the Innocence Project at WMU-Cooley Law School.

An Oakland County judge dismissed the conviction at the request of the Michigan attorney general's office, clearing the way a few hours later for Poole's release from a prison in Jackson.

“I spent decades learning, reading, studying law, but none of that was working for me,” Poole, 56, said in court. “It wasn’t until I surrendered to a higher power and God stepped in and sent me a band of angels to look past the rules and regulations and looked to see who was standing in the furnace. I was standing in the furnace. I didn’t belong here."

Poole was convicted in the fatal stabbing of Robert Mejia, whose body was found in a Pontiac field.

Poole’s girlfriend told police that he had confessed to her that he met Mejia in a bar and later killed him during a violent robbery attempt. A dentist linked Poole to a bite mark on the victim.

Poole repeatedly denied any role. In 2015, the Michigan Court of Appeals ordered DNA testing of biological material gathered by police in 1988. There was evidence of type A blood at the scene, which didn’t match Mejia’s or Poole’s blood.

“Someone else fought with Robert Mejia in the woods that early morning and someone else killed him,” Assistant Attorney General Robyn Frankel told the judge.

Attorney General Dana Nessel said the county prosecutor’s office, which handled the case in 1988-89, had no objection to vacating Poole’s conviction.

Bite mark evidence “has been widely debunked. It's not reliable anymore,” Nessel said. “Then you have here not just that but the advent of very reliable types of testing such as DNA.”

Poole's lawyer, Marla Mitchell-Cichon of the law school's Innocence Project, said an exoneration seemed out of reach at times.

“But we are thrilled that the truth has finally been established,” she said.

Nessel said Poole will be eligible for a variety of post-prison services, including housing assistance. She didn't address whether he would qualify for $1.6 million under Michigan's wrongful conviction compensation program.

The law grants $50,000 for each year spent in prison if someone is exonerated, typically because of new evidence.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...rison-77919179
    I didn't say that no white people were exonerated, I know there are some. It looks like the Innocence Project was responsible for this one, too. And the Innocence Project statistics show that almost 70% of those exonerated were black.

"Nearly 70 percent of the 242 people exonerated by DNA testing to date are people of color. These exonerations have spotlighted racial bias in the criminal justice system and the need for reforms that address these inequalities. The Innocence Project in Print recently sat down with Christina Swarns, Director of the Criminal Justice Project, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, who said "priority one must be decriminalization of the black community."

https://innocenceproject.org/racial-...ustice-system/

― Charles Dickens

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Yet this white guy might think otherwise.

Michigan man exonerated of murder after 32 years in prison

DETROIT -- A man was exonerated Wednesday after 32 years in prison when authorities agreed that he was wrongly convicted of a fatal stabbing in suburban Detroit based on faulty evidence, including a bite mark on the victim.

For years, Gilbert Poole Jr. had challenged his first-degree murder conviction with expertise from the Innocence Project at WMU-Cooley Law School.

An Oakland County judge dismissed the conviction at the request of the Michigan attorney general's office, clearing the way a few hours later for Poole's release from a prison in Jackson.

“I spent decades learning, reading, studying law, but none of that was working for me,” Poole, 56, said in court. “It wasn’t until I surrendered to a higher power and God stepped in and sent me a band of angels to look past the rules and regulations and looked to see who was standing in the furnace. I was standing in the furnace. I didn’t belong here."

Poole was convicted in the fatal stabbing of Robert Mejia, whose body was found in a Pontiac field.

Poole’s girlfriend told police that he had confessed to her that he met Mejia in a bar and later killed him during a violent robbery attempt. A dentist linked Poole to a bite mark on the victim.

Poole repeatedly denied any role. In 2015, the Michigan Court of Appeals ordered DNA testing of biological material gathered by police in 1988. There was evidence of type A blood at the scene, which didn’t match Mejia’s or Poole’s blood.

“Someone else fought with Robert Mejia in the woods that early morning and someone else killed him,” Assistant Attorney General Robyn Frankel told the judge.

Attorney General Dana Nessel said the county prosecutor’s office, which handled the case in 1988-89, had no objection to vacating Poole’s conviction.

Bite mark evidence “has been widely debunked. It's not reliable anymore,” Nessel said. “Then you have here not just that but the advent of very reliable types of testing such as DNA.”

Poole's lawyer, Marla Mitchell-Cichon of the law school's Innocence Project, said an exoneration seemed out of reach at times.

“But we are thrilled that the truth has finally been established,” she said.

Nessel said Poole will be eligible for a variety of post-prison services, including housing assistance. She didn't address whether he would qualify for $1.6 million under Michigan's wrongful conviction compensation program.

The law grants $50,000 for each year spent in prison if someone is exonerated, typically because of new evidence.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...rison-77919179
    Watch Christiecrite backpedal.

That didn't take long.

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I didn't say that no white people were exonerated, I know there are some.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You can't keep a person locked up because of what you think they might do if set free.
    Really?

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by stupidmankenneth View Post
    GoFund has raised $1,100,000 so far and counting?!! All funds go directly to Mr. Strickland?!!
    AOC thinks he should be taxed.

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Really?
    Yes. He was exonerated.

― Charles Dickens

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes. He was exonerated.
    Nobody said he wasn't.

But Y O U said this:

You can't keep a person locked up because of what you think they might do if set free.

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,542 Times in 9,993 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Show your annual charitable contributions... if you made any. I think it's bullshit.
    Its taken out of hard working Americans paycheck every week since...some of it goes to feed the lazy POS..house the lazy POS...ETC

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nobody said he wasn't.

But Y O U said this:
    That was a different conversation about a different subject. Parole board decision isn't the same as exoneration.

― Charles Dickens

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Watch Christiecrite backpedal.

That didn't take long.
    Fail. My words were "And people deny it when we say there's a separate justice system for blacks v. whites." And the Innocence Project corroborated this with their cases.

― Charles Dickens

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That was a different conversation about a different subject. Parole board decision isn't the same as exoneration.
    I don't recall mention any "parole board decision".

But Y O U said this:

12. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My words were "And people deny it when we say there's a separate justice system for blacks v. whites."
    Obviously those people are incorrect, in this instance.

13. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    Its taken out of hard working Americans paycheck
    That's an alien concept to a leftist.

14. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't recall mention any "parole board decision".

But Y O U said this:
    OMG. Consider reading the previous comments that brought on that response.

volsrock
    Verified User

What should be done to OJ jury for setting a killer free? What should be done to parole board members that sets frees a killer that kills again

― Charles Dickens

15. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Consider reading the previous comments that brought on that response.

Learn to construct qualified statements that can withstand scrutiny.