Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are national politics getting less extreme?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,279 Times in 13,410 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 842 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This is what I'm responding to (from the OP):

""I long for the days when Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan could make deals with Carl Bert Albert (had to google that one) and Tip O'Neill and accomplish stuff.""

Today we rarely have that because of polarization and tribalism on steroids. The post you just responded to was 100% true. There is a mindset of 'we are at war and I will not give an inch' and thus we can't look ourselves and our own 'side' in how we behave to contribute to the extremism.
    You can't negotiate with the Left. You can negotiate with the Right. You can negotiate with the Center and Moderates. You can negotiate with Liberals. But the Left? No fucking way. They won't play that game.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

This is what I'm responding to (from the OP):

""I long for the days when Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan could make deals with Carl Bert Albert (had to google that one) and Tip O'Neill and accomplish stuff.""
    Had to Google Carl Albert? What? Doesn’t the author know anything? Lol… Where I live lots of things are named for him, including the Junior College where I got my Associate degree.

Today we rarely have that because of polarization and tribalism on steroids. The post you just responded to was 100% true. There is a mindset of 'we are at war and I will not give an inch' and thus we can't look ourselves and our own 'side' in how we behave to contribute to the extremism.
    I’ll freely admit that I have extreme views on some issues. My views on others are not so extreme. At least I might be willing to compromise on some things.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Had to Google Carl Albert? What? Doesn’t the author know anything? Lol… Where I live lots of things are named for him, including the Junior College where I got my Associate degree.

I’ll freely admit that I have extreme views on some issues. My views on others are not so extreme. At least I might be willing to compromise on some things.
    This isn't about having some extreme views on certain issues it's about the interaction we all have each other. You're a great example of what we could all aspire to in that you are solid in your beliefs but you treat and respond to people with a level of respect and decorum that is dearly missing. The goal isn't kumbaya but rather the ability to find ways to work together when needed. And that is very difficult to do when we only think the worst of each other and wish each other dead (as an example).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (11-19-2021)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,492 Times in 7,583 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just my opinion but I think they are getting more extreme. We can look at history to know politics have never been some form of kumbaya. But until more recent times while Democrats and Republicans may go at it they could still attend dinner parties together or gets drinks after work etc. It's rare we see that today because no one wants to be caught fraternizing with the enemy. And we are in a time when the more fringe voices seem to get much of the attention. This type of environment makes it harder to 'work across the aisle' because doing so gets one labeled a RINO on the right or even now a DINO on the left so people retreat even more into their 'tribes' because its safer there.

I hate to use this board as proxy for anything but in a certain way its relevant here. This board (or its predecessor) about 15 years ago actually had pretty good discussions. Yes people went at it but there was a certain level of respect which allowed people to debate, argue and yet still get along to a degree (and even have fun on occasion). Now it's just mainly a troll fest and completely tribal with many wishing death on others etc. etc. Not all that different than what's happening in the real world.
    Yes but the leftist media seems to moderating. Never thought I'd see CNN doing a hit piece on a prominent dem or the NYT come out and say inflation, for once, is the direct responsibility of a president.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,433 Times in 52,455 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Admittedly this is from CNN. But CNN came out recently w/ the Kamala hit piece and the NYT blasted Biden for inflation (yes, this one's on him they say).

Opinion: Why the tide may be turning on Trump
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...edgdhp&pc=U531

And then there's this from The Hill:

Popping the progressive bubble

I, for one, hope so. I long for the days when Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan could make deals with Carl Bert Albert (had to google that one) and Tip O'Neill and accomplish stuff. I'd add Bill Clinton but he basically caved to Republicans, not necessarily a bad thing at a time before they went stupid. Of course now it's the Dims that are the Party of Stupid.
    Agreed on more functional government, but there are a lot of people who want some violence first....and I suspect they'll get their wish.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    This post is proof that the answer is no. One party is openly hostile to democracy, and has no issue calling the President of the United States a pedophile.
    ...while lauding over a former President who really was a pedophile and hung around with a lot of other pedophiles in the 80s and 90s.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    This post is proof that the answer is no. One party is openly hostile to democracy, and has no issue calling the President of the United States a pedophile.
    Both have been at various times. For now it's the far left state media thats openly hostile to democracy. Yin and Yang.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 11-20-2021 at 12:31 AM.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed on more functional government, but there are a lot of people who want some violence first....and I suspect they'll get their wish.
    But the media drives opinion. And leftist media is not kind to the Biden decision makers nor to Harris, who, admittedly is insignificant..

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But the media drives opinion. And leftist media is not kind to the Biden decision makers nor to Harris, who, admittedly is insignificant..
    Bullshit. If you really believe "media drives opinion" then you are declaring every American to be a fucking dumbass automaton. That's not true.

For one thing, most antivaxxers don't watch the news. They do their "research" on Facebook, Youtube and other social media, not watching cable news.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Bullshit. If you really believe "media drives opinion" then you are declaring every American to be a fucking dumbass automaton. That's not true.
    The far left media sure seems to have influenced your opinion on Rittenhouse. That never should have gone to trial yet you were somehow brainwashed into thinking he was guilty or would at minimum go to prison. For what I don’t know.
    Sorry but you left yourself wide open for that.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The far left media sure seems to have influenced your opinion on Rittenhouse. That never should have gone to trial yet you were somehow brainwashed into thinking he was guilty or would at minimum go to prison. For what I don’t know.
    Sorry but you left yourself wide open for that.
    Please define who is the "far left media" and , if any, who are the center media and right or far right media.

Disagreed on the trial. When people are killed, there needs to be an accounting.

Remember when Republicans were all about personal responsibility? That all changed after 2016 but I miss the days of personal accountability.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Please define who is the "far left media"
    Are you kidding? PMSNBC is as far left as it gets. They’re practically the voice of antifa. Although I actually saw a YouTube blip where Joe Scarborough now blames dims for inflation, agreeing with the NYT.
    and , if any, who are the center media
    That’s a tough one. I really don’t watch enough news to say.
    and right or far right media.
    You know it’s Fox, OAN and Newsmax.

Remember when Republicans were all about personal responsibility? .
    TBH, no.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,831 Times in 17,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,597 Times in 4,275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    You can't negotiate with the Left. You can negotiate with the Right. You can negotiate with the Center and Moderates. You can negotiate with Liberals. But the Left? No fucking way. They won't play that game.
    You have some real problems. Can you actually believe that? You are the core of distrust and inability to converse with such a crappy attitude that is simply not based in fact.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

evince (11-20-2021)

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,760 Times in 27,235 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

Admittedly this is from CNN. But CNN came out recently w/ the Kamala hit piece and the NYT blasted Biden for inflation (yes, this one's on him they say).

Opinion: Why the tide may be turning on Trump

And then there's this from The Hill:

Popping the progressive bubble

I, for one, hope so. I long for the days when Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan could make deals with Carl Bert Albert (had to google that one) and Tip O'Neill and accomplish stuff. I'd add Bill Clinton but he basically caved to Republicans, not necessarily a bad thing at a time before they went stupid. Of course now it's the Dims that are the Party of Stupid.
    Real news does this

Unlike fox

Real news let’s opinion pages say varying opinions

Fox viewers don’t know what that’s like

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Yes but the leftist media seems to moderating. Never thought I'd see CNN doing a hit piece on a prominent dem or the NYT come out and say inflation, for once, is the direct responsibility of a president.
    Eh, because one article says Biden is responsible for inflation does not make a trend. Whether it’s the media, politicians or regular people like us, extremism (tribalism on steroids) seems to be increasing. Since it’s the topic of the day just look at the reporting on the Rittenhouse case and how they wouldn’t report the basic facts correctly (would interfere with the narrative). We have real problems with the mainstream media won’t report just the facts accurately.

(Just my opinion of course)
    Last edited by cawacko; 11-20-2021 at 10:27 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

anonymoose (11-20-2021)