Thread: "If the job that you’re offering sucks..."

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post
    I've said before that this is a wide spread, unorganized labor movement. Union busting can't work forever.
    why claim its unorganized.......the port workers union is the tightest strongest union in the country........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Sailor (11-19-2021)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    why claim its unorganized.......the port workers union is the tightest strongest union in the country........
    Certainly one of the strongest that is for sure. Longshoreman.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,919 Times in 13,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

The biggest problem is with federal regulations. In order to drive across state lines in a commercial truck, you have to be 21 and have a CDL. This means many people who are otherwise eligible for a CDL will get either local jobs that pay as well driving without going out-of-state, or go into alternative fields of employment between 18 and 21.

At 21 many aren't going to be willing to give up their current job that likely pays as well or better with better hours and more time at home, for longer distance trucking jobs. After all, someone who has been driving locally for four years has gotten raises and other perks with their current job. Why switch?

That's purely a federal regulatory issue.

Top that off that if you drive across state lines now, a new Biden administration regulation puts you in a national registry that includes all incidents, accidents, tickets, etc., you have ever had as a driver. Insurers are using this to jack rates on companies that hire drivers with any negative marks on their record. If you drive locally, that doesn't happen. So, the pool of drivers for interstate trucking shrank by about 80,000 people this year because of this regulation.

Then there are new California laws regarding trucking and ports that have created a shortage of drivers and trucks at those ports.

Democrats as usual are screwing the pooch...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Sailor (11-19-2021)

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The biggest problem is with federal regulations. In order to drive across state lines in a commercial truck, you have to be 21 and have a CDL. This means many people who are otherwise eligible for a CDL will get either local jobs that pay as well driving without going out-of-state, or go into alternative fields of employment between 18 and 21.

At 21 many aren't going to be willing to give up their current job that likely pays as well or better with better hours and more time at home, for longer distance trucking jobs. After all, someone who has been driving locally for four years has gotten raises and other perks with their current job. Why switch?

That's purely a federal regulatory issue.

Top that off that if you drive across state lines now, a new Biden administration regulation puts you in a national registry that includes all incidents, accidents, tickets, etc., you have ever had as a driver. Insurers are using this to jack rates on companies that hire drivers with any negative marks on their record. If you drive locally, that doesn't happen. So, the pool of drivers for interstate trucking shrank by about 80,000 people this year because of this regulation.

Then there are new California laws regarding trucking and ports that have created a shortage of drivers and trucks at those ports.

Democrats as usual are screwing the pooch...
    That is all need be said.

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Certainly one of the strongest that is for sure. Longshoreman.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...arehouse_Union

The union, which still uses hiring halls, has a single labor contract with the Pacific Maritime Association which covers all 29 seaports on the west coast of the US, from Bellingham, Washington, to San Diego; its 15,000 dockworkers were paid an average of $171,000 in 2019.[3][4] The union has been described as "the aristocrat of the working class" and their members "lords of the docks" for their high pay and power over a choke point of the global economy.[5][3]
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Sailor (11-19-2021)

9. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The United States is the world’s largest importer, but its major ports, at Los Angeles and Long Beach, rank a dismal 328 and 333 in the World Bank’s Port Performance Index. That means nightmare inefficiency, worse than most Third World countries. Not one US port made it into the top 50 for speed and efficiency. In contrast, Japan’s Yokohama port ranks No. 1
    https://nypost.com/2021/10/18/to-ple...ly-chain-woes/