Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My mother (retired RN) who is not vaccinated, has contracted Covid...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default My mother (retired RN) who is not vaccinated, has contracted Covid...

My entire fam is vaccinated, except my mother (me, my children, my wife, my sisters and brothers, their kids, etc. are all vaccinated), and guess who contracted Covid? Yeah, the unprotected one. My sister is her caretaker and she tested negative for Covid.

Mom is in good spirits, has her sense of humor and tells me if "Feels like a bad cold"...

She's at home, not in the hospital and on Oxygen due to a slightly lower O2 level (pulse/Ox showed 86) and now shows a 96 O2 level.

I'll update as I get news. Even though it is unlikely many of you will care. Especially the vaccine dictators. We get it, you think she made a bad choice and that she shouldn't have had a choice to make regarding the vaccine, Heil Fauci, et al.
    Last edited by Damocles; 11-17-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

AProudLefty (11-17-2021), Matt Dillon (11-21-2021), Minister of Truth (11-17-2021), Mott the Hoople (11-21-2021), PoliTalker (11-17-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,613 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

I just got over covid. losing taste and smell was the worst for me

I got the vax - but have auto immune disease- and take a lot of medicines to prevent my immune system from working - so I was considered a risk

I agree with your mom - it was basically a bad cold.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zymurgy For This Post:

Damocles (11-17-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,762 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have always stated that it's their choice. Your mother is an adult.

Hope she recovers quickly.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Damocles (11-17-2021), Doc Dutch (11-17-2021), Guno צְבִי (11-17-2021), ThatOwlWoman (11-17-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    Different strokes for different folks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (11-17-2021)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,640 Times in 51,925 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    My entire fam is vaccinated, except my mother (me, my children, my wife, my sisters and brothers, their kids, etc. are all vaccinated), and guess who contracted Covid? Yeah, the unprotected one. My sister is her caretaker and she tested negative for Covid.

Mom is in good spirits, has her sense of humor and tells me if "Feels like a bad cold"...

She's at home, not in the hospital and on Oxygen due to a slightly lower O2 level (pulse/Ox showed 86) and now shows a 96 O2 level.

I'll update as I get news. Even though it is unlikely many of you will care. Especially the vaccine dictators. We get it, you think she made a bad choice and that she shouldn't have had a choice to make regarding the vaccine, Heil Fauci, et al.
    Hopefully she'll be fine. Only about 1.5% of the antivaxxers are dying but about 25% have some form of Long COVID.

Did she say why she didn't want to be vaccinated?

Due to the politicization of this issue, the CDC expects more people to refuse flu shots and, therefore, more flu related deaths.

Not a medical person, but IIRC, most people who "die of flu" really die of pneumonia from being bedridden by the flu.

Additionally, because of masks and social distancing last year, flu deaths were down. That count will go up again this year as cities ease their restrictions.

If anyone cares, I always update my shots. Already had the COVID series, this year's flu shot and the pneumonia 23. Still need to update tetanus, shingles and pneumonia 13.

https://www.goodrx.com/health-topic/...the-difference
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (11-17-2021), Damocles (11-17-2021), Hoosier Daddy (11-18-2021)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,640 Times in 51,925 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just got over covid. losing taste and smell was the worst for me

I got the vax - but have auto immune disease- and take a lot of medicines to prevent my immune system from working - so I was considered a risk

It was more like the flu to me; chills, loss of appetite, lethargy.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (11-17-2021), Damocles (11-17-2021)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hope shes feeling better soon
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Damocles (11-17-2021)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    When I got the vax, it was the same. Mainly lethargy. I stayed in bed for 24 hours, barely able to move at all.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Damocles (11-17-2021), Doc Dutch (11-17-2021), ThatOwlWoman (11-17-2021)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,771 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

I'm not wishing ill of anybody's mom.

I just fucking don't get it.
    They offered the vaccines for FREE.
    An RN is an educated individual. AND a health professional.

There's nothing about these stories that make any sense whatsoever.
    I find them infuriating.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Damocles (11-17-2021), ThatOwlWoman (11-17-2021)

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

I hope your mom makes a full and speedy recovery. Enough said.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Damocles (11-17-2021)

21. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Day one of feeling symptoms I was incredibly fatigued and by that night I was having some difficulty breathing (like a bad chest cold). By the next day, I had the worst headache of my life and absolutely no energy. By day three I was just a little tired, and day four completely back to normal. My wife had it way worse, chills, shaking, naseau, vomiting, and ended up severely dehydrated to the point where she needed an IV. Nasty stuff, even when vaccinated. I have mild asthma, so it could have been much, much worse. My wife also didn't LOSE her sense of taste, but it was completely off for a couple of days BEFORE any other symptom. She thought everything tasted awful. Wasted a 200 dollar meal at a seafood place. Oh well.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

AProudLefty (11-17-2021), ThatOwlWoman (11-17-2021)

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,613 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Different strokes for different folks.
    no shit sherlock - this is an anecdotal discussion

24. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hopefully she'll be fine. Only about 1.5% of the antivaxxers are dying but about 25% have some form of Long COVID.

Did she say why she didn't want to be vaccinated?

Due to the politicization of this issue, the CDC expects more people to refuse flu shots and, therefore, more flu related deaths.

Not a medical person, but IIRC, most people who "die of flu" really die of pneumonia from being bedridden by the flu.

Additionally, because of masks and social distancing last year, flu deaths were down. That count will go up again this year as cities ease their restrictions.

If anyone cares, I always update my shots. Already had the COVID series, this year's flu shot and the pneumonia 23. Still need to update tetanus, shingles and pneumonia 13.

https://www.goodrx.com/health-topic/...the-difference
    She said, and I quote here, "I don't believe in it."

Personally, I think she thinks it is the mark of the beast, that at some point you won't be able to buy or sell anything unless you prove that you have one... That folks without it will be put in camps, etc. Basically, she's a Tribulation believer.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

AProudLefty (11-17-2021)

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Damocles,

Thanks for sharing, Damo.

I wish her well.

I do not wish ill will to anyone despite their views nor beliefs.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Damocles (11-17-2021)

28. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

no shit sherlock - this is an anecdotal discussion