Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Not CRT, It is the GOP's Real Brand - Racial Grievance

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,474 Times in 3,395 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Default It's Not CRT, It is the GOP's Real Brand - Racial Grievance

If anyone had doubts as to the sincerity of Conservative angst over CRT a review of the overwrought threads in this website provides a glimpse of how lacking the criticisms are in substance. You will search in vain for any light from critics on where and when CRT has actually been taught, including in Virginia where Republicans made it a major campaign issue in Youngkin's successful campaign, or what is supposed to be wrong with CRT or even what CRT is. The phoniness of the issue is addressed this morning in a front page column by the award winning Richmond Times Columnist Michael Paul Williams, who observes:

"As has been stated again and again, critical race theory, the stuff of law school curriculums, is not taught in K-12 schools in Virginia, but racial grievance has become the GOP brand, whether the subject is a nonexistent curriculum or virtually nonexistent voter fraud. This phony critical race theory issue is a metaphor for our inability to engage in real problems."

https://richmond.com/eedition/richmo...4e4adc024.html
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

2. The Following 2 Users Groan At martin For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (11-06-2021), Earl (11-07-2021)

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Post:

AProudLefty (11-05-2021), christiefan915 (11-07-2021), domer76 (11-05-2021), evince (11-05-2021), Guno צְבִי (11-05-2021), PoliTalker (11-05-2021), ThatOwlWoman (11-05-2021)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,774 Times in 27,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-07-2021), Guno צְבִי (11-05-2021), martin (11-05-2021), ThatOwlWoman (11-05-2021)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-05-2021), ThatOwlWoman (11-05-2021)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,323 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    If anyone had doubts as to the sincerity of Conservative angst over CRT a review of the overwrought threads in this website provides a glimpse of how lacking the criticisms are in substance. You will search in vain for any light from critics on where and when CRT has actually been taught, including in Virginia where Republicans made it a major campaign issue in Youngkin's successful campaign, or what is supposed to be wrong with CRT or even what CRT is. The phoniness of the issue is addressed this morning in a front page column by the award winning Richmond Times Columnist Michael Paul Williams, who observes:

"As has been stated again and again, critical race theory, the stuff of law school curriculums, is not taught in K-12 schools in Virginia, but racial grievance has become the GOP brand, whether the subject is a nonexistent curriculum or virtually nonexistent voter fraud. This phony critical race theory issue is a metaphor for our inability to engage in real problems."

Bingo. Spot on

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-05-2021), martin (11-05-2021)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,242 Times in 10,706 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 579 Times in 563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lionfish For This Post:

anonymoose (11-06-2021), Callinectes (11-05-2021), cancel2 2022 (11-06-2021), Earl (11-08-2021), Into the Night (11-06-2021), Truth Detector (11-05-2021)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello martin,

8 AM: Roll Call.

8:15 AM: English.

9 AM: Critical Race Theory Class

Yeah, right.

SHOW US THE SCHEDULE!!!

When and where is it taught?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (11-08-2021)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-07-2021), martin (11-05-2021)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,429 Times in 53,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Its very vagueness makes it an easy tool to use to inflame all the openly and covert racists in the QOP who fear that whites are going to become extinct, because their masters tell them so.

It's only a matter of time until red states begin to forbid the teaching of the not-so-great parts of American history: slavery, the genocide of indigenous peoples, Jim Crow laws, segregation, internment camps in WWII, civil rights marches and historical figures, etc. After all, we mustn't hurt the tender feelz of the little up-and-coming KKKers, right?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (11-05-2021), christiefan915 (11-07-2021), evince (11-05-2021), Guno צְבִי (11-05-2021), martin (11-05-2021), PoliTalker (11-05-2021)

17. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They fear being treated like black and brown have been treated

They fear having to be polite to people they see as their lessors and listening to their valid complaints

It will ruin their lives they believe

I wish they could realize how cool these people are to you when you treat them like people who you need to be considerate to while dealing with them

most respond wonderfully to be treated with respect

Yeah some will be dicks

That’s life

Most respond awesomely

I get treated like crap from more white people than from people of color with my “treat all people like you would treat your elderly mother” tact

And I’m white

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-07-2021), Guno צְבִי (11-05-2021)

19. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Latinos are the sweetest

They are so nice when you treat them well (yes some are still dicks, people are people)

Black people are more suspicious of your intents (can you blame them, white people still shoot their sons for jogging down the wrong street)

But most are still very polite even when they are suspicious

White people even act entitled when dealing with me

And I’m an old white lady

Fox News has done this

It did not used to be the case folks

White people USED TO BE NICER THAN THEY ARE TODAY

It’s the fox effect

20. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I do think things like the 1619 Project and anti-racism studies get labeled under the CRT umbrella when this discussion is being had about what's being taught in our schools.

I believe those who claim the people pushing back against the above don't want slavery taught in schools are wrong. (OK, we are a country of 300+ million. There probably is someone out there who doesn't think slavery should be taught. But the argument that there is a movement to remove slavery, civil rights and Jim Crow from our textbooks is false.)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Callinectes (11-05-2021), leaningright (11-06-2021)

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I do think things like the 1619 Project and anti-racism studies get labeled under the CRT umbrella when this discussion is being had about what's being taught in our schools.

I believe those who claim the people pushing back against the above don't want slavery taught in schools are wrong. (OK, we are a country of 300+ million. There probably is someone out there who doesn't think slavery should be taught. But the argument that there is a movement to remove slavery, civil rights and Jim Crow from our textbooks is false.)
    Got anything to back up that claim?

"Ever since the Civil Rights Movement, there has been grassroots pressure by educators and community activists to change the textbooks used in U.S. schools. Progress was made. Blatantly racist references to Africa and favorable comments about slavery were eliminated, photos were diversified, and stories of famous African Americans and women started appearing, if not in the main text, at least in scattered sidebars. Despite improvements, however, most mainstream social studies textbooks remain tethered to sanitized versions of history that bore students and mislead young minds.

This was brought home to me in 2008 when I examined the social studies textbook series being considered for adoption by the Milwaukee Public Schools. The books were from the dwindling constellation of large textbook publishers—Houghton Mifflin, Macmillan McGraw-Hill, and Scott Foresman. In keeping with state social studies standards, the 5th-grade textbooks in each series focus on United States history. Even though publishers make claims about being “multicultural” and honoring our nation’s “diversity,” none of the 5th grade United States history textbooks—even those exceeding 800 pages—examines the role of racism in U.S. history or even mentions the word “racism.” In two textbooks, the word “discrimination” doesn’t even appear. Nor do the texts tell students that any United States president ever owned slaves, even though 12 of the first 18 did, and all of the two-term presidents up until Lincoln owned and sold human beings."

The Whitewashing of American school textbooks
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

23. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (11-08-2021)

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Got anything to back up that claim?

"Ever since the Civil Rights Movement, there has been grassroots pressure by educators and community activists to change the textbooks used in U.S. schools. Progress was made. Blatantly racist references to Africa and favorable comments about slavery were eliminated, photos were diversified, and stories of famous African Americans and women started appearing, if not in the main text, at least in scattered sidebars. Despite improvements, however, most mainstream social studies textbooks remain tethered to sanitized versions of history that bore students and mislead young minds.

This was brought home to me in 2008 when I examined the social studies textbook series being considered for adoption by the Milwaukee Public Schools. The books were from the dwindling constellation of large textbook publishers—Houghton Mifflin, Macmillan McGraw-Hill, and Scott Foresman. In keeping with state social studies standards, the 5th-grade textbooks in each series focus on United States history. Even though publishers make claims about being “multicultural” and honoring our nation’s “diversity,” none of the 5th grade United States history textbooks—even those exceeding 800 pages—examines the role of racism in U.S. history or even mentions the word “racism.” In two textbooks, the word “discrimination” doesn’t even appear. Nor do the texts tell students that any United States president ever owned slaves, even though 12 of the first 18 did, and all of the two-term presidents up until Lincoln owned and sold human beings."

The Whitewashing of American school textbooks
    What claim are you asking me to back up? (not a rhetorical question)

And you're posting something from Howard Zinn? I'm not following...

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,835 Times in 17,266 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Reds are trying to rewrite history. Their bigotry can win. The wealthy have patience. They keep chamfering the corners of our society until it becomes unrecognizable and very different. We are headed to fascism and the absolute power of a leader because of them.
    In a couple of generations of blurring our history of repression and murdering minorities, it will disappear. Then Fascism can reign.

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Reds are trying to rewrite history. Their bigotry can win. The wealthy have patience. They keep chamfering the corners of our society until it becomes unrecognizable and very different. We are headed to fascism and the absolute power of a leader because of them.
    In a couple of generations of blurring our history of repression and murdering minorities, it will disappear. Then Fascism can reign.
    Your theme song for the day bro

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,474 Times in 3,395 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    How dumb is this?

No group is hearing the CRT whistle louder than the Right wing ignoramuses wetting their pants over it.
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

28. The Following User Groans At martin For This Awful Post:

Earl (11-08-2021)