Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama Shooting

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default Alabama Shooting

This is a great example of what frustrates me about advocates against the assualt rifle ban. The disconnect on the public safety issue that millitary style weapons present when in the hands of unstable persons. This man killed people by indescriminately spraying bullets down a street.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090312/...a_shootings_69

Could reasonable limitations and regulations have served to have protected the public and saved lives in this case?

What can be done about this issue to address public safety?

Asshat isn't always going to be there with his plastic spoon to protect us!!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

BTW, don't infer that because I'm frustrated by this disconnect that I support any ban on weapons.

3. #3 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

What disturbs me most is everyone saying that he was such a "normal guy".

Normal people don't go on killing sprees.

Mott, I am not sure a ban on assault weapons would have changed much. Perhaps his strategy, but not the end result. The two rifles would have been out of the equation, but the shotgun and handgun would still be there. Plus, despite what the sensationalists claim, a typical hunting rifle would be much more dangerous.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Isn't it obvious?

All of his victims should have been armed, including the children.

Without all these useless leftist regulations the kids could have gotten off a couple of clips and put a bullet in his ass.

The only way to ensure a safe America is to arm every American. Children should be equipped with the Chinese Uziko 747 that fires 1600 rounds per second, fully automated with a hair trigger. Comes with night scope, laser targeting, and fires Magnum Force 19B armor-piercing rounds that will split a man in half.

2nd Amendment forever
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

what a bullshit news article and i'm not surprised that it elicited idiotic responses.

Yahoo Associated Press states 2 assault rifles, a shotgun, and a .38 revolver, yet no specific identity of the actual rifles are given. For all we know, it could have been two 10-22 marlin .22 caliber rifles. But no, we have to read 'assault rifle' and "the rapid crackling of automatic gunfire" in the article so that the fucked up liberal media can sensationalize a tragedy by intimating that machine guns are readily available at walmart.

If you don't know the gun laws, stfu and learn them before making an ass of yourself.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post
    What disturbs me most is everyone saying that he was such a "normal guy".

Normal people don't go on killing sprees.

Mott, I am not sure a ban on assault weapons would have changed much. Perhaps his strategy, but not the end result. The two rifles would have been out of the equation, but the shotgun and handgun would still be there. Plus, despite what the sensationalists claim, a typical hunting rifle would be much more dangerous.
    There is some truth to what your saying but 3 of those people were killed by his just randomly spraying the street with bullets. I think those lives might have been saved.

I'm not advocating a ban on anything per se so much as advocating a discussion on public safety and what can be done to prevent the abuse of these weapons which were designed specifically to kill people.

Should there be greater regulation on their sales and manufactur? Licensing requirements for those who wish to purchase these? Background and criminal checks? I'm open to ideas here.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    what a bullshit news article and i'm not surprised that it elicited idiotic responses.

Yahoo Associated Press states 2 assault rifles, a shotgun, and a .38 revolver, yet no specific identity of the actual rifles are given. For all we know, it could have been two 10-22 marlin .22 caliber rifles. But no, we have to read 'assault rifle' and "the rapid crackling of automatic gunfire" in the article so that the fucked up liberal media can sensationalize a tragedy by intimating that machine guns are readily available at walmart.

If you don't know the gun laws, stfu and learn them before making an ass of yourself.
    Well I can see you have much of productive value to contribute to this conversation. [/sarcasm]

8. #8 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mottleydude View Post
    There is some truth to what your saying but 3 of those people were killed by his just randomly spraying the street with bullets. I think those lives might have been saved.

I'm not advocating a ban on anything per se so much as advocating a discussion on public safety and what can be done to prevent the abuse of these weapons which were designed specifically to kill people.

Should there be greater regulation on their sales and manufactur? Licensing requirements for those who wish to purchase these? Background and criminal checks? I'm open to ideas here.
    If there were more regulations and licencing requirements, would anything have been different?

The guy was an adult, never been in trouble, had police training, and had no addiction problems that we know about.

Wouldn't this guy be pretty much what the regulations would give a gun to?

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If there were more regulations and licencing requirements, would anything have been different?

The guy was an adult, never been in trouble, had police training, and had no addiction problems that we know about.

Wouldn't this guy be pretty much what the regulations would give a gun to?
    Good point, but are you saying there's nothing we can do to prevent such things from occuring?

How can we strike a balance here in preserrving 2nd ammendment rights while preserving public safety?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well I can see you have much of productive value to contribute to this conversation. [/sarcasm]
    seriously mottley, the same amount of damage could have been done with a semi-auto .308 hunting rifle with a full magazine, in fact, it would have been worse being a bigger round than something from an AR-15.

without the particulars on the type of rifle used, this article is over dramatized.

Yes, it's a damned tragedy, but really there are two questions to answer.

1) would another law have prevented this?

2) would a ban on assault weapons have prevented this?

the answer to both is no.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    seriously mottley, the same amount of damage could have been done with a semi-auto .308 hunting rifle with a full magazine, in fact, it would have been worse being a bigger round than something from an AR-15.

without the particulars on the type of rifle used, this article is over dramatized.

Yes, it's a damned tragedy, but really there are two questions to answer.

1) would another law have prevented this?

2) would a ban on assault weapons have prevented this?

the answer to both is no.
    Great questions, but could you expand upon the answers?

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

anything that sprays or shots rapidly should be banned.
    Only morons think otherwise
    The stone that the builder refused
    Will always be the head corner stone

13. #13 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

Good point, but are you saying there's nothing we can do to prevent such things from occuring?

How can we strike a balance here in preserrving 2nd ammendment rights while preserving public safety?
    I don't think there is anything we can do to prevent this sort of thing from happening. I think a free society is an inherently dangerous place.

Unless the person confides his plans to someone, there would be no basis for disarming or arresting the person.

Charles Whitman killed 14 and wounded 32 from the clock tower on the campus of the Univ of Texas. He did have a semiautomatic rifle, but it was an M1. An M1 is hardly a threatening assault rifle. He did most of his killing with the other 2 rifles and the sawed-off shotgun.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

whats the difference between these two weapons?

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't think there is anything we can do to prevent this sort of thing from happening. I think a free society is an inherently dangerous place.

Unless the person confides his plans to someone, there would be no basis for disarming or arresting the person.

Charles Whitman killed 14 and wounded 32 from the clock tower on the campus of the Univ of Texas. He did have a semiautomatic rifle, but it was an M1. An M1 is hardly a threatening assault rifle. He did most of his killing with the other 2 rifles and the sawed-off shotgun.
    an even better question to ask is why was the damage and body count so small, given his location?