Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vox - It’s time for Americans to buy less stuff

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Vox - It’s time for Americans to buy less stuff

It's a long article so I just posted the link. The gist is really focused on climate change and the (negative) effects our consumption habits have on the environment, thus the need for us to purchase and consume less.

Fair enough. My question is an economic one. We know how much spending drives our economy. And to a certain group politically the argument in support of higher taxes and transferring of money is the rich don't spend enough and thus giving it to people who will (lower income folks) stimulates more growth.

How can these two co-exist? One can argue we should consume less because its best for the planet and if we get slower economic growth as a result then so be it. But realistically its hard to win elections on that message (slower growth is good). The article references shopping sustainably but states that even that is still consumption.

Anyone here have a way they blend the two?

It’s time for Americans to buy less stuff

Thanks to the supply chain crisis, holiday shopping won’t be easy this year — even if you buy early.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/227250...liday-shopping

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

moon (10-22-2021), PoliTalker (10-23-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,068 Times in 6,779 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

It's a pretty interesting contradiction, as you state.

I think the premise is correct, though. It's like we're in the infant stage of humanity, and will eventually mature & understand how to live in a way that is more conducive for the planet's health & long-term survival.

The answer likely lies in rethinking the economy entirely. An economy as reliant on consumer spending as ours is just isn't compatible with the future health of our environment.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

moon (10-22-2021), PoliTalker (10-23-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It's a long article so I just posted the link. The gist is really focused on climate change and the (negative) effects our consumption habits have on the environment, thus the need for us to purchase and consume less.

Fair enough. My question is an economic one. We know how much spending drives our economy. And to a certain group politically the argument in support of higher taxes and transferring of money is the rich don't spend enough and thus giving it to people who will (lower income folks) stimulates more growth.

How can these two co-exist? One can argue we should consume less because its best for the planet and if we get slower economic growth as a result then so be it. But realistically its hard to win elections on that message (slower growth is good). The article references shopping sustainably but states that even that is still consumption.

Thanks to the supply chain crisis, holiday shopping won’t be easy this year — even if you buy early.

think China is going to consume less? India- and the rest of the world?
    (Reminds me of Paris Accord)

It's pathetic. live in a cave use bear hides to keep warm and dont buy stuff. Dem prosperity

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Callinectes (10-22-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 Times in 7,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

The Virus is just one kink in the Supply Chain! Stagnant wages is another.

Seeing all of those container ships backed up is a reminder of what a global economy we are part of- and how much we depend on it.

Should be a wake-up call for some- even if the kink is just a temporary problem.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    think China is going to consume less? India- and the rest of the world?
    (Reminds me of Paris Accord)

It's pathetic. live in a cave use bear hides to keep warm and dont buy stuff. Dem prosperity
    You bring up an excellent point. There are tens, if not hundreds, of millions of people in those two countries who desire to move up into a more middle class lifestyle. And if they do so that would include middle class purchase/consumption habits which would have large effects on the climate. Can't see them reacting too positively to the rest of the world telling them if would be bad for all of us if they do (move up to a middle class life style).

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

anatta (10-22-2021), Callinectes (10-22-2021), cancel2 2022 (10-22-2021)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Discontinuing procreation seems like the best answer to every problem.
    Let's give cockroaches an opportunity to run the planet for a while.
    They're supposed to be pretty durable.
    Maybe, given the opportunity, they'll be creative as well.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,539 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

Too much packaging
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-23-2021)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    It's a pretty interesting contradiction, as you state.

I think the premise is correct, though. It's like we're in the infant stage of humanity, and will eventually mature & understand how to live in a way that is more conducive for the planet's health & long-term survival.

The answer likely lies in rethinking the economy entirely. An economy as reliant on consumer spending as ours is just isn't compatible with the future health of our environment.
    I would dearly love to know what you think IS compatible with the future health of the environment
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    The Virus is just one kink in the Supply Chain! Stagnant wages is another.

Seeing all of those container ships backed up is a reminder of what a global economy we are part of- and how much we depend on it.

Should be a wake-up call for some- even if the kink is just a temporary problem.
    would you be averse to a more locally defined economy?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    would you be averse to a more locally defined economy?
    Well, sure when we start growing our own coffee beans, growing our own bananas, and spinning our own silk!

I'm all for it- I say go for it!

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well, sure when we start growing our own coffee beans, growing our own bananas, and spinning our own silk!

I'm all for it- I say go for it!
    but it has to start with something, right? so how do you excuse local municipalities prohibiting gardens in the confines of ones own property? or the ability to keep livestock on ones own property?

LOCAL, remember?

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

We still my need people for dress shoes, sunglasses, and the last of the internal combustion grand touring cars.
    Not to mention olive oil. Otherwise we're buying it from Greeks or Spaniards anyway.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    We still my need people for dress shoes, sunglasses, and the last of the internal combustion grand touring cars.
    Not to mention olive oil. Otherwise we're buying it from Greeks or Spaniards anyway.
    can dress shoes not be made in America? sunglasses? IC engines? what can you not do with any other kind of oil, except olive oil?

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    but it has to start with something, right? so how do you excuse local municipalities prohibiting gardens in the confines of ones own property? or the ability to keep livestock on ones own property?

LOCAL, remember?
    I think we agree on property rights my friend!

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think we agree on property rights my friend!
    I hope so. I seem to remember most of it. given that, do you not think that a local economy could do as well as any global economy?