Thread: Infrastructure Report by State

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    A mileage tax on top of rising fuel costs will definitely put small delivery services in a world of hurt. Those who survive will surely pass the costs onto the consumer.
    I'd be glad to vote them out, but I only vote once.
    it would be smart to know what fuel taxes are relative to other states. PA is number 3 and Cali is highest and deliveries are still made. https://taxfoundation.org/state-gas-tax-rates-2021/
    Why Biden? Because Fuck You that's why. Barack Obama has a Grammy, an Emmy, a Nobel Prize, 2 terms as President and a Twitter account.

Donald Trump has 2 impeachments.

2. #47 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    it would be smart to know what fuel taxes are relative to other states. PA is number 3 and Cali is highest and deliveries are still made. https://taxfoundation.org/state-gas-tax-rates-2021/
    DUH! No shit we have the 3rd. highest fuel taxes in the country! I pay them every week. And costs to the consumer are rising right along with fuel prices. Put a mileage tax on that and see what happens to consumer prices and businesses.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    How bad is your state’s infrastructure?

https://infrastructurereportcard.org...nfrastructure/

Looking at this report, every Congress critter should be on board for passing the infrastructure bill.
    Printing money to fiddle around with this only drives inflation making it impossible to pay debt service.
    The is plenty of money to resume addressing this stuff but first yoiu have to stop pissing money away on vote buying.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

They are doing a lot of road construction and repairs here in PA. They raised our gas tax .58c a gallon to pay for it. Now they want to assess a mileage tax. That's gonna put every delivery business out of business. Fucking democrats...
    I'll actually give Democrats respect here (raising the gas tax) for backing up their rhetoric. If you really believe climate change is an existential threat then higher gas prices is an important part of dealing with it. It forces more people out of their cars and forces dealers to build more fuel efficient cars.

Of course the higher prices hurt the poor and working class but that's the trade off. And in some of the big urban areas they refuse to build more housing thus forcing people (usually those with less money) to live further away from their jobs and having to pay even more in the cost of gas for their longer commutes. So those on the lower end of the economic spectrum get fvcked but again, it's the trade off.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Ugh. D+. We scored lower than bumfuck Missouri, which has a C-.
    It's because of the lakes and harsh winters. The freeze and thaw of groundwaters ruin asphalt and concrete pavings they can also affect bigger structures over time.

6. #51 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I'll actually give Democrats respect here (raising the gas tax) for backing up their rhetoric. If you really believe climate change is an existential threat then higher gas prices is an important part of dealing with it. It forces more people out of their cars and forces dealers to build more fuel efficient cars.

Of course the higher prices hurt the poor and working class but that's the trade off. And in some of the big urban areas they refuse to build more housing thus forcing people (usually those with less money) to live further away from their jobs and having to pay even more in the cost of gas for their longer commutes. So those on the lower end of the economic spectrum get fvcked but again, it's the trade off.
    I don't think choking the average, especially the poor consumer with rising prices can have any benefit. When fuel prices rise, everything rises.
    When I started working at the food service co, there was no fuel surcharge. They added on, not on the truck as a whole, but to every customer.
    I'm not a tree hugger and I own a car that gets terrible gas mileage that I love to drive on nice days. High-test ain't cheap and neither are the additives.
    I can see your point, to an extent, but I think fuel taxes are too painful to the average consumer. Hell, they've gone up .50c a gal. since Biden took over.

Yeah, I know it's forcing some out of the city. They are building a development above me and now I get all
    the water runoff in my yard. They cut down the woods next to me. I'm thinking on moving further into farm
    country, and I already live there now!
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

Of course the higher prices hurt the poor and working class but that's the trade off. And in some of the big urban areas they refuse to build more housing thus forcing people (usually those with less money) to live further away from their jobs and having to pay even more in the cost of gas for their longer commutes. So those on the lower end of the economic spectrum get but again, it's the trade off.
    Same way with their “proposed study on a mileage tax” that will almost inevitably lead to them levying such a tax on citizens. It definitely would adversely affect the poor…and very specifically the rural poor. My dad isn’t poor. He is 90 and receives retirement from 2 different jobs, plus his SS. But I know others like him who are not as well taken care of as he is, financially. Dad drives 150 mile round trip to the doctor (VA hospital and clinic) for his various check ups a few times a month. He has one next Tuesday. Dad can afford a per mile tax. He would be mad about it and complain about having to pay it, but he could afford it with no hardship. His peers and several that are 20 years younger than him (you know, those young 70 year old kids) cannot. At least it would be a hardship on them.

Point being, so often when proposals are made to tax consumer goods or services, the poor are the ones who get the short end of the stick.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cawacko (10-22-2021), ThatOwlWoman (10-22-2021)

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I don't think choking the average, especially the poor consumer with rising prices can have any benefit. When fuel prices rise, everything rises.
    When I started working at the food service co, there was no fuel surcharge. They added on, not on the truck as a whole, but to every customer.
    I'm not a tree hugger and I own a car that gets terrible gas mileage that I love to drive on nice days. High-test ain't cheap and neither are the additives.
    I can see your point, to an extent, but I think fuel taxes are too painful to the average consumer. Hell, they've gone up .50c a gal. since Biden took over.

Yeah, I know it's forcing some out of the city. They are building a development above me and now I get all
    the water runoff in my yard. They cut down the woods next to me. I'm thinking on moving further into farm
    country, and I already live there now!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of higher gas taxes nor do I think they are good economics. But if one claims climate change is an existential threat and should be our number one priority then raising the cost of gas would be consistent with wanting to deal with it (negative economic results be damned).

Haha, your presence probably made the City folks move out to your area!

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 6 Posts

A mileage tax on top of rising fuel costs will definitely put small delivery services in a world of hurt. Those who survive will surely pass the costs onto the consumer.
    I guess the goal would be to convince others and to get them to vote. It'll be the only way to get change.
    When you cuss a farmer, don't talk with your mouth full.

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    It's because of the lakes and harsh winters. The freeze and thaw of groundwaters ruin asphalt and concrete pavings they can also affect bigger structures over time.
    What you say is absolutely correct but keep in mind in places like Louisiana and Texas the beating of the sun causes asphalt to buckle and break
    Why Biden? Because Fuck You that's why. Barack Obama has a Grammy, an Emmy, a Nobel Prize, 2 terms as President and a Twitter account.

Donald Trump has 2 impeachments.

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    How bad is your state’s infrastructure?

https://infrastructurereportcard.org...nfrastructure/

Looking at this report, every Congress critter should be on board for passing the infrastructure bill.
    I've seen much worse in Canada. So how is a State's infrastructure the business of Congress again? Oh, that's right, it's NOT.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,524 Times in 52,741 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Yep, Alaska has the same problem. Plus Michigan had a lot of industry that dumped untold amounts of toxins into lakes and streams and air that has to be mitigated.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

WTF does Mussolini have to do with anything?

What's to think about? You are nuts...
    My comment to you about the trains running on time is what Mussolini was said to have done.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-22-2021)

16. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Your state is a "red" one, is it not?

17. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,769 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think they all are.
    It's the OTHER bill that is having problems.
    I doubt many Republicans will vote for the infrastructure bill, but will take credit for it, after the fact, just like the stimulus package.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Jack (10-22-2021)