Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 780

Thread: Alec Baldwin Fired Prop Gun That Killed Halyna Hutchins, Injured Director

  1. #31 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    16,053
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,704 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Im not familar with movie prop procedure but why would any idiot put a real bullet in a prop gun.they should not be capable of firing .
    It was done for a closeup of the bullet. The director wanted to do a closeup of a real bullet in the revolver. It was supposed to be a real bullet, without any powder or primer to propel it forward, and so safe to point at the camera.

    Prop guns are often completely capable of firing. This prop gun in particular was a completely real gun, along with being a prop. With a real bullet and powder in it, it would kill like any other gun. The intention while filming was not to have both in the gun at the same time.

    I have never worked in film making, but I have many friends who have. This is all common stuff, done often. In Lee's case, the props people just got really careless. It is too early to tell what happened in the Baldwin case, but given common responsibility, it would be the props people's fault.

  2. #32 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18,647
    Thanks
    3,700
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Groans
    616
    Groaned 219 Times in 207 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    There are many things I do not know, but I am very good at knowing what I do not know. You and RB think you are experts on everything, but really know very little.
    Physician heal thyself.
    Why Trump? Because Fuck You that's why.

  3. #33 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    16,053
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,704 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    And yes, blanks can be dangerous.
    Which is why props people have to work so hard to make sure they are not dangerous. In Lee's case, they did not do their work, and Lee died.

    There are a large number of jobs in filmmaking like that. Stunts people do stunts that should be dangerous, but if done right are not dangerous. The point is to make it look like an incredibly dangerous situation, but it not be one.

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    I reload for everything I shoot, so understanding pressures is very important so I don't blow up my firearms.
    Actors take care of acting. Props people, special effects people, and stunt people take care of understanding pressures and other things. If they fail, then people die. If they do not try hard enough to succeed, they are guilty of a crime.

  4. #34 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Posts
    30,643
    Thanks
    4,867
    Thanked 16,204 Times in 12,176 Posts
    Groans
    127
    Groaned 324 Times in 311 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It was done for a closeup of the bullet. The director wanted to do a closeup of a real bullet in the revolver. It was supposed to be a real bullet, without any powder or primer to propel it forward, and so safe to point at the camera.

    Prop guns are often completely capable of firing. This prop gun in particular was a completely real gun, along with being a prop. With a real bullet and powder in it, it would kill like any other gun. The intention while filming was not to have both in the gun at the same time.

    I have never worked in film making, but I have many friends who have. This is all common stuff, done often. In Lee's case, the props people just got really careless. It is too early to tell what happened in the Baldwin case, but given common responsibility, it would be the props people's fault.
    Which comes to question why anyone would put a bullet in a cartridge without powder and just a primer. Anyone with even a hint of firearms knowledge would know to never seat a bullet on just a primer. There is also the fact that under load of a bullet, there is a very distinct and different sound if a bullet is fired and propelled with just a primer, especially if it lodges in the barrel. That would surely raise red flags.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  5. #35 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18,647
    Thanks
    3,700
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Groans
    616
    Groaned 219 Times in 207 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Which is why props people have to work so hard to make sure they are not dangerous. In Lee's case, they did not do their work, and Lee died.

    There are a large number of jobs in filmmaking like that. Stunts people do stunts that should be dangerous, but if done right are not dangerous. The point is to make it look like an incredibly dangerous situation, but it not be one.



    Actors take care of acting. Props people, special effects people, and stunt people take care of understanding pressures and other things. If they fail, then people die. If they do not try hard enough to succeed, they are guilty of a crime.
    There was no excuse for a bullet to even be on that set and you know it. Stop being a fucktard.
    Why Trump? Because Fuck You that's why.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guille For This Post:

    Matt Dillon (10-24-2021)

  7. #36 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    16,053
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,704 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Which comes to question why anyone would put a bullet in a cartridge without powder and just a primer.
    The prop people were supposed to remove both the powder and the primer. It was supposed to be a bullet with nothing to propel itself. That would be called a dummy bullet.

    In this case, it was to show a closeup of Massee pointing a revolver with a bullet in it, and pulling the trigger. The next shot was to show Massee from further away shooting Lee. The next shot was not to be close up, and was to have no bullet, but having the powder exploding.

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Anyone with even a hint of firearms knowledge would know to never seat a bullet on just a primer.
    The primer was supposed to be removed. It was the primer that forced the bullet into the barrel in what is called a squib load.

    But again, Massee, the actor, did not know any of this. He was doing actions that under any other situation would have been considered unsafe, but were necessary for shooting a movie. The props people were supposed to make sure that it was all safely done.

  8. #37 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Posts
    30,643
    Thanks
    4,867
    Thanked 16,204 Times in 12,176 Posts
    Groans
    127
    Groaned 324 Times in 311 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    There was no excuse for a bullet to even be on that set and you know it. Stop being a fucktard.
    Yep. Most people would never notice a spent primer over a live one while watching a movie. Seat the bullet on a cartridge with a spent primer if "realism" is the object and all is good.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

    Matt Dillon (10-24-2021)

  10. #38 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    28,538
    Thanks
    1,651
    Thanked 7,407 Times in 6,016 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 315 Times in 303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    This is a piece of work.
    I intend to make it all the way through next year so that I may fully enjoy my 2022 NUDES IN NATURE calendar.

  11. #39 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    16,053
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,704 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    There was no excuse for a bullet to even be on that set and you know it. Stop being a fucktard.
    I do not even know where to begin. You are clearly just trying to waste my time with stupidity. Dummy rounds are on sets all the time. Real guns are on sets all the time. Even fully fireable bullets are on sets all the time.

  12. #40 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Posts
    30,643
    Thanks
    4,867
    Thanked 16,204 Times in 12,176 Posts
    Groans
    127
    Groaned 324 Times in 311 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The prop people were supposed to remove both the powder and the primer. It was supposed to be a bullet with nothing to propel itself. That would be called a dummy bullet.

    In this case, it was to show a closeup of Massee pointing a revolver with a bullet in it, and pulling the trigger. The next shot was to show Massee from further away shooting Lee. The next shot was not to be close up, and was to have no bullet, but having the powder exploding.



    The primer was supposed to be removed. It was the primer that forced the bullet into the barrel in what is called a squib load.

    But again, Massee, the actor, did not know any of this. He was doing actions that under any other situation would have been considered unsafe, but were necessary for shooting a movie. The props people were supposed to make sure that it was all safely done.
    What you are suggesting is that the prop people had access to reloading equipment. I find that doubtful. You need a press, primer removal die with pin to remove a primer.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  13. #41 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Posts
    30,643
    Thanks
    4,867
    Thanked 16,204 Times in 12,176 Posts
    Groans
    127
    Groaned 324 Times in 311 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I do not even know where to begin. You are clearly just trying to waste my time with stupidity. Dummy rounds are on sets all the time. Real guns are on sets all the time. Even fully fireable bullets are on sets all the time.
    No, not really. Just trying to give you a little understanding of firearms and ammo. Believe what you want, but it's the person handling the firearm to ultimately make sure it is safely used. Period.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  14. #42 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18,647
    Thanks
    3,700
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Groans
    616
    Groaned 219 Times in 207 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I do not even know where to begin. You are clearly just trying to waste my time with stupidity. Dummy rounds are on sets all the time. Real guns are on sets all the time. Even fully fireable bullets are on sets all the time.
    I felt that way about you 2 years ago. You're a dumb motherfucker.
    Why Trump? Because Fuck You that's why.

  15. #43 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    16,053
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,704 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    What you are suggesting is that the prop people had access to reloading equipment. I find that doubtful. You need a press, primer removal die with pin to remove a primer.
    This is what firearms props people do. They get all the right equipment, and the right training, and they do their job. Do I know how to do their job? No, but I do know they do their job so well that it is rare anyone dies.

  16. #44 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18,647
    Thanks
    3,700
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Groans
    616
    Groaned 219 Times in 207 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    This is what firearms props people do. They get all the right equipment, and the right training, and they do their job. Do I know how to do their job? No, but I do know they do their job so well that it is rare anyone dies.
    No, you don't know shit about their job.
    Why Trump? Because Fuck You that's why.

  17. #45 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    16,053
    Thanks
    854
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,704 Times in 1,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    No, not really. Just trying to give you a little understanding of firearms and ammo. Believe what you want, but it's the person handling the firearm to ultimately make sure it is safely used. Period.
    Literally four minutes ago, you were claiming that firearm props people do not have enough training to make dummy bullets, and now you are demanding actors with absolutely no training make them? This is just silly.

Similar Threads

  1. Trump (Alec Baldwin) Gives Graduation Speech on SNL
    By jacksonsprat22 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2020, 12:03 PM
  2. Alec Baldwin BLASTS Donald Trump after being arrested
    By Tomas Fabregas in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2018, 03:31 PM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-17-2018, 08:53 AM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-17-2018, 10:36 PM
  5. Alec Baldwin The Liberal Nut
    By RockX in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •