Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Conservatives Are Happier Than Liberals. Discuss.

1. #241 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,007 Times in 2,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 404 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Truth slaps you in the face and you're still too incompetent to acknowledge it. Idiot.
    how old are you where sexual rumors and affairs make you giggle like a little punk? what does her sex life have to do with anything, especially from 20 years ago, and was consensual? why does she have to wear the scarlet a but assholes like trump and gingrich and gaetz are not judged by any sexual connotations?

2. #242 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    as a woman, you might think you would call out these sexist clowns who judge her by sexual rumors of her private life, but totally accept the 23 charges of assault against trump and his talk about grabbing pussy....but you are a hypocrite, or you would not be a trump voter.
    More unhappiness...and a great deal of confusion....I
    BTW...t would be lovely to celebrate the accomplishments of the first woman VP...if there was even a single thing to celebrate...

3. #243 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Flash,

The problem with such studies is there is no way to exclude personal opinion. The way the questions are asked produces bias. We have seen these studies show the exact opposite results depending on who conducts them.

Since there is nothing truly quantifiable on the subject I have nothing more than my own personal point of view.
    Very true. Even when the researcher has no bias and is trying to produce the most objective study, social science research has a problem with quantifying and operationalizing subjective terms. I have seen "racism" measured by whether a person favors affirmative action. I have seen a study of whether playing violent video games produces violent children measured by whether that child answers "yes" to the question, "if I had a balloon, would you pop it?"

Although peer review is often used to eliminate poor methodology, some lower level journals will publish anything to appeal to lower level scholars who need publication credits for promotion and tenure.

Here are some great articles about a scholar who made up a fake study and got it published.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...l-hoax/572212/

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...ournal/357006/
    Last edited by Flash; 10-22-2021 at 12:31 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-22-2021)

5. #244 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Very true. Even when the researcher has no bias and is trying to produce the most objective study, social science research has a problem with quantifying and operationalizing subjective terms. I have seen "racism" measured by whether a person favors affirmative action. I have seen a study of whether playing violent video games produces violent children measured by whether that child answers "yes" to the question, "if I had a balloon, would you pop it?"

Although peer review is often used to eliminate poor methodology, some lower level journals will publish anything to appeal to lower level scholars who need publication credits for promotion and tenure.

Here are some great articles about a scholar made up a fake student and got it published.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...l-hoax/572212/

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...ournal/357006/
    That was great. Used up my last remaining free article at The Atlantic, but it was worth it. Too funny.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #245 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

An interesting article that bears little relationship to the title of this thread.

Two similarly titled papers with markedly disparate conclusions
    conservatives are generally fearful, low in self-esteem, and rationalize away social inequality,
    What, then, can be drawn from these conflicting analyses?

First, be wary of the conclusion that conservatives are happier than liberals and that they find greater meaning in life.

In “Are Conservatives Really Happier Than Liberals?,” Tom Jacobs points out that researchers report that conservatives are more likely to proclaim they are happy. But liberals are more likely to provide clues indicating they’re experiencing actual joy, including the words they choose to use, and the genuineness of their smiles.
    Based on that research, Wojcik, Ditto and four colleagues argue in “Conservatives Report, but Liberals Display, Greater Happiness” that “research suggesting that political conservatives are happier than political liberals is fully mediated by conservatives’ self-enhancing style of self-report.”

Using what they call “behavioral measures,” the authors found thatrelative to conservatives, liberals more frequently used positive emotional language in their speech and smiled more intensely and genuinely in photographs. Our results were consistent across large samples of online survey takers, U.S. politicians, Twitter users, and Linked-In users.
    So, it seems that conservatives are more likely to claim they are happy but liberals are more likely to act happy. But then you also have to put this in context of when the studies were done. Happiness on the political spectrum strongly correlates to whether your guy is in charge or not. Based on the JPP conservatives, happiness for conservatives has dropped considerably since November of last year.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

7. #246 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

how old are you where sexual rumors and affairs make you giggle like a little punk? what does her sex life have to do with anything, especially from 20 years ago, and was consensual? why does she have to wear the scarlet a but assholes like trump and gingrich and gaetz are not judged by any sexual connotations?
    TRUMP!

(she's still a ho)
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

8. #247 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Like I posted earlier....... It is a known fact that Conservatives out give Lefties when it comes to donations for the poor and unfortunate. What gives? Are lefties flat ass broke and just cant or is it that they just dont REALLY give a shit about the less fortunate?

Or....is it just that my 1st statement on this issue is the correct one.
    lefties believe they ARE the poor and unfortunate.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Stone (10-22-2021)

10. #248 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    That's the best you can do?

I will call your three televangelists and raise you ten Scientologists......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. #249 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I will call your three televangelists and raise you ten Scientologists......
    Them Scientologists sure are scary!

12. #250 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,454 Times in 9,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 867 Times in 825 Posts

Actually yeah, they are.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

AProudLefty (10-22-2021)

14. #251 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,007 Times in 2,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 404 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    An interesting article that bears little relationship to the title of this thread.

So, it seems that conservatives are more likely to claim they are happy but liberals are more likely to act happy. But then you also have to put this in context of when the studies were done. Happiness on the political spectrum strongly correlates to whether your guy is in charge or not. Based on the JPP conservatives, happiness for conservatives has dropped considerably since November of last year.
    how can you be happy and be afraid to walk on the street without a gun or to be afraid of minorities and muslims and immigrants and believe they are all out to replace you?

15. #252 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

how can you be happy and be afraid to walk on the street without a gun or to be afraid of minorities and muslims and immigrants and believe they are all out to replace you?
    Happiness is a warm gun!!
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Hoosier Daddy (10-22-2021)

17. #253 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

they are to atheists as televangelists are to Christianity.....but there are a lot more of them....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

AProudLefty (10-22-2021)

19. #254 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    they are to atheists as televangelists are to Christianity.....
    That is a good one. Basically yeah.