Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The U.S. could power the WORLD with solar panels.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,244 Times in 13,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

You better also plan ahead and install A LOT of extra capacity for things like this...

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Your source says exactly the same thing I stated. It takes an area the size of Nebraska, about 22,000 square miles. Whether those panels are on rooftops or elsewhere is irrelevant. The area required doesn't change.
    What that article leaves out is how to power stuff when the sun is down. The batteries required for that alone would be economically crippling running easily into the 10's of trillions and needing replacement and recycling every 7 or so years. Pumped hydro is worse as it requires adding in the energy to pump the water.

Then you have to figure in a "smart (stupid) grid." Germany's attempt at this is close to a trillion already and not done. That is, Germany is about the size of Texas, and they've spent a trillion (give or take) on a grid to shift energy around and it doesn't work yet. That's a fraction of the size of the US.

Solar is absolutely idiotically stupid.

Please try to refrain from hallucinating when replying to me. In the picture I provided in my thread that shows the total area of solar panels compared to the U.S. it would take to power the U.S., that area was nowhere near the size of Nebraska. As for powering stuff when the sun goes down, there are many ways to do that. The first would be batteries of course. Elon Musk built a pretty large one in Australia. And as I said before, his engineering skills made him a multi billionaire. You may think he is wasting his time, but obviously Elon doesn't.

Another way to store excess energy is with capacitors. Yet another way is to use the excess energy to speed up a perfectly balanced large disk. On a large scale, excess energy could be used to heat sodium. At nighttime that stored heat could be used to create steam to power electric turbines. Somebody mentioned that they could do the same thing with sulfur. But I haven't looked into that yet. So I don't know if it is true. As for Germany, of course their solar panels work. From what I heard their electricity is the most expensive in the developed world. But they work. Despite it being a bit more expensive in Germany than it is here, from what I heard Germany still exports some electricity to other countries.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    so now you want us to buy solar panels from China and give them to the rest of the world?......

on the other hand, I wouldn't object to blanketing LA with solar panels.......

We shouldn't be involved in slavery. So I am opposed to buying solar panels or anything else from China.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    You better also plan ahead and install A LOT of extra capacity for things like this...

Your picture is meaningless. I would bet that if one of those snow dusted panels was just clear glass and you stood under one and looked at the sun, you couldn't do it. It would be too bright. Now if the snow was around three inches thick, you might be able to. In such a case, I would just hire somebody with a broom to walk along and pull the snow down off them. It wouldn't take much doing. In some of the spots it looks like some of the snow had slid off by itself.