Thread: Reality check on electric cars

1. #1456 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Of course, the Left doesn't. They are into religious dogma and being adherents to it. Doesn't matter that solar and wind don't work, they're the systems mandated by the prophets--profits?-- like AlGore (one word). Battery cars are dogma, therefore you can suffer as much economic hardship as required to own one because it's good for your immortal soul or something like that.
    Physics isn't their strong suit, after all.

It still takes the same power to move the same weight no matter where it comes from. You still have to charge the batteries. Energy isn't created out of nothing.

Much of this nonsense is driven by the Church of Green, which argues Man is running out of fuel (dead wrong, since oil and methane are renewable fuels).
    A lot of it comes from the Church of Global Warming, which argues Man is warming the Earth using a Magick Holy Gas such as carbon dioxide (dead wrong, since you can't create energy out of nothing). The Church of Global Warming believers often erroneously refer to carbon dioxide (a naturally occurring gas in the atmosphere absolutely essential for human life on this planet), as carbon (a fuel...typically in the form of coal).

Both religions stem from the Church of Karl Marx....Democrats.

ALL of them are fundamentalist style religions, compelled on attempting to prove their religion True.

Solar power is the most expensive method of generating energy, joule for joule. It's piddle power.
    Wind is the 2nd most expensive method, joule for joule. It's also piddle power.

Whole solar farms and whole wind farms feed power out through what looks essentially like a normal distribution line. A power plant using coal, oil, or methane has high tension lines (often several!) coming out of them.

That should tell you something. You're an electrician. You know the difference in what these lines can carry.

Electric cars certainly don't do anything to "save the Earth". The Earth doesn't need saving, for a start. It's big enough to take care of itself.
    While oil and methane are renewable fuels, lithium is NOT a renewable resource. There is only so much of it, and it's not enough to manufacture the batteries for electric cars on the scale these losers want to compel you to. There's only one direction THAT market can go, and that's up. Way up. Lithium could conceivably be worth more than gold or even platinum. Remember what happened to palladium as soon as it's use became mandated for catalytic converters (essentially a pollution to pollution converter)? That's small potatoes compared to what would happen to lithium. That's not going to make these expensive cars any cheaper!

Fuel is still needed to charge the batteries, to mine and process the lithium, and even to build and deliver the car. Trucks, trains, and power plants are so ignored these days it's out of sight, out of mind for these Democrats, mostly city dwellers.

Ingrates.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

2. #1457 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,240 Times in 10,706 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 579 Times in 563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

3. #1458 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    Spectacular. Looks like that fire consumed ALL the cars parked there, moving from one to the next.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

4. #1459 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Spectacular. Looks like that fire consumed ALL the cars parked there, moving from one to the next.
    Lithium-ion batteries burn like a blowtorch.

5. #1460 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    It’s actual money silly!
    payments with interest are not actual money
    Doc Dutch finally admits he is a steaming pile of chickenshit!

6. #1461 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,904 Times in 21,666 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stringfellow Hawk View Post
    payments with interest are not actual money
    Uh, they are actual money going out of my bank account, if you are correct I should call my bank...

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

7. #1462 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Uh, they are actual money going out of my bank account, if you are correct I should call my bank...
    payments do not reflect bottom line dipshit, If all you are concerned about is the payment, you have no fucking clue what you are actually paying for the car or what you were allowed on your trade. People that justify their means by payments are the stupidest fucking people on the planet hence have to be led by a government that treats them like cattle. You are Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank, so damn institutionalized, you can't piss without permission

8. #1463 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,904 Times in 21,666 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

payments do not reflect bottom line dipshit, If all you are concerned about is the payment, you have no fucking clue what you are actually paying for the car or what you were allowed on your trade. People that justify their means by payments are the stupidest fucking people on the planet hence have to be led by a government that treats them like cattle. You are Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank, so damn institutionalized, you can't piss without permission
    I was never discussing bottom line. Dipshit!

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

9. #1464 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 62 Times in 55 Posts

[SIZE=4]REALITY CHECK: At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious "If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities."

"For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service.
    You can recharge a Tesla with as little as 15 amp service; it's just slow. You'd get about 10 miles for every hour plugged in. So, if you charged it overnight while you slept for eight hours, you'd have 80 miles of range the next morning -- easily enough to handle a typical commute. At 50 amps (what you have for a typical electric oven), a Model S Tesla will charge about 34 miles worth for every hour it's plugged in, so just a couple hours charging would be enough to cover the next day's typical drive for most people.

The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus.
    The MSRP for a Bolt-EV is $31,500 (not counting whatever tax credits may be available, federal and state):

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev

The Leaf is even cheaper, at $28,425:

https://www.cars.com/articles/here-a...an-buy-439849/

The advantage of buying electric, aside from doing your part to save the environment and not having to waste time at the gas station any more, isn't just the lower fuel cost. There's also lower maintenance cost and higher resale value. Because of those things, you generally will come out ahead when looked at from a five-year-cost-of-ownership perspective.

10. #1465 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    The advantage of buying electric, aside from doing your part to save the environment and not having to waste time at the gas station any more, isn't just the lower fuel cost. There's also lower maintenance cost and higher resale value. Because of those things, you generally will come out ahead when looked at from a five-year-cost-of-ownership perspective.
    What if I don't give a shit about the environment in the way you mean it and believe it doesn't need "saving," particularly from anthropogenic CO2? For someone like me that drives my vehicles right into the ground and uses them hard, an EV is a stupid choice, aside from the fact that the selection of EV trucks is next to nil right now. I sure couldn't get by with a car, particularly an unreliable one like a Tesla.

11. #1466 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What if I don't give a shit about the environment in the way you mean it and believe it doesn't need "saving," particularly from anthropogenic CO2?
    Then, assuming it's because you're ignorant rather than sociopathic, I'd recommend reading more about the topic.

For someone like me that drives my vehicles right into the ground and uses them hard, an EV is a stupid choice
    Why?

12. #1467 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

13. #1468 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was never discussing bottom line. Dipshit!
    you are making payments, its not possible jr

14. #1469 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    You can recharge a Tesla with as little as 15 amp service; it's just slow. You'd get about 10 miles for every hour plugged in. So, if you charged it overnight while you slept for eight hours, you'd have 80 miles of range the next morning -- easily enough to handle a typical commute. At 50 amps (what you have for a typical electric oven), a Model S Tesla will charge about 34 miles worth for every hour it's plugged in, so just a couple hours charging would be enough to cover the next day's typical drive for most people.

The MSRP for a Bolt-EV is $31,500 (not counting whatever tax credits may be available, federal and state):

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev

The Leaf is even cheaper, at $28,425:

https://www.cars.com/articles/here-a...an-buy-439849/

if they charge, I travel for my career, I have seen multiple teslas fail to charge overnight, they still have glitches

15. #1470 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

if they charge, I travel for my career, I have seen multiple teslas fail to charge overnight, they still have glitches
    All cars have glitches. I've seen many, many gas-powered cars fail to start because of a bad battery, or some glitch in the starter, or an oil leak, or water in the gas tank, and so on. I don't know what the stats look like with electrics versus gas-powered vehicles, in those terms, but presumably whatever the comparison is today, it'll get better and better for the electrics over time, as those glitches get worked out.