Thread: Reality check on electric cars

1. #691 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    I posted the sources of my numbers. You can look them up for yourself. They are correct. I also used some assumptions from the area of the county Katz says he lives in, and assume that his statement that he drives a Chevy Volt as a given. This is a hybrid car, not a fully electric car.

According to Katz, he drives a hybrid car. That is not an electric car, though it has an option for electric drive. Apparently, Katz only uses the car for relatively short commute trip, rarely triggering the gasoline engine to start. He tops off the charge each night. That car has a range of 53 miles on the battery only when the battery is new. Range drops off as the battery ages, as this car uses Li-ion batteries.

Such a car is also capable of open road trips, operating as a gasoline car with poorer than usual fuel mileage, due to carrying around an extra power plant.

The fully electric car also works for commuting, but it sucks terribly at any open road use or all day use like a work truck would see. The basic problem is the length of time it takes to recharge the car from drained battery to full charge. Unlike ICE cars that only take 5 minutes to refuel, the electric car takes 10-12 hours to charge. This makes the electric car completely impractical for open road or work vehicle use.

Even many golf courses prefer the gasoline golf cart. They are also preferred in The Villages, a retirement community in Florida where the citizens use them to go shopping with. Instead of cars, these people get around primarily by golf cart.

Several electric car designs are great in the snow. They have individual motors on each wheel. The computer can easily respond to any wheel slipping and route power to motors that have traction. Their extra weight helps as well.

Hybrid cars can't carry as much as an equivalent sized gasoline car, since the batteries do take up some room (typically located behind the seat). It also has a battery in the trunk which is used to start the engine when it's needed. Trunk mounted batteries do lose a lot of power in the cable over such a long run, so not a good place for it. So much for GM.

If you want to see where I got my numbers, look up information at General Motors Inc., Tesla Inc., Puget Sound Energy, local shop rates for battery exchange for the Chevy Volt and for the Tesla Model 3.

Also remember that YOUR economic sense is not going to the same as anyone else's economic sense.
    I've never said I own a hybrid car I've never said I own electric car see this is where your drug addicted delusion comes in You're just pulling snot out of your ass

2. #692 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,861 Times in 17,284 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,603 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redfish View Post
    yes it is very simple, masks don't work and you are too dumb to comprehend that simple fact.

and to your stupid sig line, Trump has survived 2 fake impeachment attempts by radical far left liberal democrats who were scared shitless that he would expose their corruption in a second term.
    Masks work. Your brain does not.
    Wow are you delusional. He was impeached twice.

3. #693 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I posted the sources of my numbers. You can look them up for yourself. They are correct. I also used some assumptions from the area of the county Katz says he lives in, and assume that his statement that he drives a Chevy Volt as a given. This is a hybrid car, not a fully electric car.

According to Katz, he drives a hybrid car. That is not an electric car, though it has an option for electric drive. Apparently, Katz only uses the car for relatively short commute trip, rarely triggering the gasoline engine to start. He tops off the charge each night. That car has a range of 53 miles on the battery only when the battery is new. Range drops off as the battery ages, as this car uses Li-ion batteries.

Such a car is also capable of open road trips, operating as a gasoline car with poorer than usual fuel mileage, due to carrying around an extra power plant.

The fully electric car also works for commuting, but it sucks terribly at any open road use or all day use like a work truck would see. The basic problem is the length of time it takes to recharge the car from drained battery to full charge. Unlike ICE cars that only take 5 minutes to refuel, the electric car takes 10-12 hours to charge. This makes the electric car completely impractical for open road or work vehicle use.

Even many golf courses prefer the gasoline golf cart. They are also preferred in The Villages, a retirement community in Florida where the citizens use them to go shopping with. Instead of cars, these people get around primarily by golf cart.

Several electric car designs are great in the snow. They have individual motors on each wheel. The computer can easily respond to any wheel slipping and route power to motors that have traction. Their extra weight helps as well.

Hybrid cars can't carry as much as an equivalent sized gasoline car, since the batteries do take up some room (typically located behind the seat). It also has a battery in the trunk which is used to start the engine when it's needed. Trunk mounted batteries do lose a lot of power in the cable over such a long run, so not a good place for it. So much for GM.

If you want to see where I got my numbers, look up information at General Motors Inc., Tesla Inc., Puget Sound Energy, local shop rates for battery exchange for the Chevy Volt and for the Tesla Model 3.

Also remember that YOUR economic sense is not going to the same as anyone else's economic sense.
    The Volt is mine and as I said over and over to you, I almost never run the ICE. Almost never. https://www.forbes.com/wheels/advice...arging-levels/
    Electric car owners top off their charges. They almost never are low enough to require a long charge. And your stats demand a level 1 charger. The better ones are much faster.
    They are getting faster all the time.
    I have an electric car. I know what it is like. My son has 2. I do not look to electric haters for information.

4. #694 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,179 Times in 11,744 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    The thing is nobody expects the mass to stop a virus.
    Then why do you want everyone to wear one??
    That's not what's going on I keep explaining to you what a simple minded inbred you are you just refuse to get it
    Inversion fallacy.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

5. #695 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I've never said I own a hybrid car I've never said I own electric car see this is where your drug addicted delusion comes in You're just pulling snot out of your ass
    Okay. I'll discard everything you said.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

6. #696 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Masks work. Your brain does not.
    Wow are you delusional. He was impeached twice.
    Paradox M.
    Trump was impeached once. You cannot impeach someone that is not in office. The impeachment failed.

7. #697 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Volt is mine
    Fine.
    and as I said over and over to you, I almost never run the ICE. Almost never.
    Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
    Electric car owners top off their charges.
    So?
    They almost never are low enough to require a long charge.
    Because you don't drive it much.
    And your stats demand a level 1 charger. The better ones are much faster.
    Nope. That's the fastest they can charge.
    They are getting faster all the time.
    They can't.
    I have an electric car. I know what it is like.
    No, you have a hybrid car. You have a Chevy Volt.
    My son has 2.
    So?
    I do not look to electric haters for information.
    I do not hate electricity or electric cars.

8. #698 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fine.

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

So?

Because you don't drive it much.

Nope. That's the fastest they can charge.

They can't.

No, you have a hybrid car. You have a Chevy Volt.

So?

I do not hate electricity or electric cars.
    No it counts is a discussion about electric cars.
    All this info that should have taught you something, does not even talk about the pollution and health impacts. Those are huge too.
    If you were fair and open about electric, you would not fork out so much disinformation.

9. #699 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 890 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    because you're the one denying what he said.....do your numbers include subsidies?.....
    Subsidies?

For God sakes man..use your head.

You are seriously suggesting that the US government subsidizes EVERY Kilowatthour of power American's use to the tune of about $1 each?

Do you know what that would cost?

Try roughly about $3.8 TRILLION dollars a year.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...lectricity.php

You want to show us all where EXACTLY in the federal budget there is TRILLIONS of dollars - every FY - for 'electricity subsidies'?

10. #700 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stringfellow Hawk View Post
    REALITY CHECK: At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious "If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities."

"For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded. This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load."

So, as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This later "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this deadend road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine." Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip, your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus. So, the Government wants us to pay twice as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

WAKE UP NORTH AMERICA!!!!!!!
    Holy SHIT!!!
    Where do I begin?

First - what is with the big text? You got a small dick you are trying to make up for?

Second - your 'conversation' was from NINE YEARS AGO!!!
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chevy-revolt/

Third - Chevrolet stopped manufacturing the Volt over two and a half YEARS ago!

Fourth - the Volt is NOT an E/V. It is a hybrid.

Fifth - electricity charges are about 14+ cents. Not $1.16?!?
    https://www.eia.gov/electricity/mont...p?t=epmt_5_6_a

Sixth - I gotta say them again. Your source is from NINE years ago, the Volt is no longer being made, was NEVER an E/V and juice costs about 1/8'th of what your OP said it does.

Seventh - A 2022 Chevrolet Bolt starts at $31,000 and has a range of 259 miles.
    https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev

To recharge a Bolt costs about $417.60.
    Oh...I am sorry.
    That is not to charge it once.
    That is to charge it for a FRIGGING YEAR (at 12,000 miles usage)!!!

https://www.valleychevy.com/how-much...-a-chevy-bolt/
    (my dick felt small just there - hence the large type)

I have a suggestion for you.
    The next time you want to start another thread?
    I suggest that instead of typing with your fingers?
    You bash your head/fists on the keyboard.
    And I guarantee you that, that thread's OP will make FAR more sense than this one's did.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by McRocket; 12-07-2021 at 09:59 PM.

11. #701 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,125 Times in 12,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    Holy SHIT!!!
    Where do I begin?

First - what is with the big text? You got a small dick you are trying to make up for?

Second - your 'conversation' was from NINE YEARS AGO!!!
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chevy-revolt/

Third - Chevrolet stopped manufacturing the Volt over two and a half YEARS ago!

Fourth - the Volt is NOT an E/V. It is a hybrid.

Fifth - electricity charges are about 14+ cents. Not $1.16?!?
    https://www.eia.gov/electricity/mont...p?t=epmt_5_6_a

Sixth - I gotta say them again. Your source is from NINE years ago, the Volt is no longer being made and was NEVER an E/V.

Seventh - A 2022 Chevrolet Bolt starts at $31,000 and has a range of 259 miles.
    https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev

To recharge a Bolt costs about $417.60.
    Oh...I am sorry.
    That is not to charge it once.
    That is to charge it for a FRIGGING YEAR (at 12,000 miles usage)!

I have a suggestion for you.
    The next time you want to start another thread?
    I suggest that instead of typing with your fingers?
    You bash your head/fists on the keyboard.
    And I guarantee you that, that thread's OP will make FAR more sense than this one's did.

Have a nice day.
    You are a pistol.
    The bottom line is that conservatives cant admit to themselves the Evil they have allowed to romp on their watch.

This is going to hurt.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

McRocket (12-07-2021)

13. #702 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    You are a pistol.
    That and/or I am bored/procrastinating.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to McRocket For This Post:

Hawkeye10 (12-07-2021)

15. #703 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,003 Times in 32,308 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

You are seriously suggesting that the US government subsidizes EVERY Kilowatthour of power American's use to the tune of about $1 each?
    no......why were you stupid enough to think I had?.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. #704 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    no......why were you stupid enough to think I had?.......
    School is in.

You see that little thing on the end of my my post to you?

That is called a 'question mark'.

That means I was asking a question.
    Not making a statement.

Gee..I sure hope you got that now.
    Should help you in your life.

School is out.

So...just how much of that $1.16 were you assuming was eaten up by 'subsidies'?

Or you can just answer honestly and say you had NO IDEA what you were talking about and were just guessing?

The choice is yours?

17. #705 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,003 Times in 32,308 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

[COLOR="#0000FF"]

That means I was asking a question.
    Not making a statement.
    okay, why did you ask a stupid question?

So...just how much of that $1.16 were you assuming was eaten up by 'subsidies'?
    I made no claim any of it was......my question was, if the person I was responding to insisted that non petroleum sources of energy were much cheaper than petroleum sources, I ASKED (did you notice I was asking a question and not making a statement? If you notice things like that it should help you in your life) if his rates for comparison take into consideration the federal subsidies for the non-petroleum sources....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”