Page 7 of 259 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check on electric cars

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I have a 2015 Volt. It has the highest customer ratings over and over for any GM car. I get huge mileage
    . I get about 45 miles per charge, a little less in winter. I very rarely drive more than 50 miles in a day. The computer sometimes runs the car on the motor because the gas will get stale if it just sits in the tank. The computer shows I get way over 100 MPG.
    Depending on what kind of charger you have, the car can charge in less than an hour.
    My son has a Volt and a Bolt.
    The Volt has 50 miles of electric and over 300 of gas.
    I drove 1246 miles last week, man that volt would have been a blast . LMAO

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,480 Times in 52,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    If it were a long-term 'survival' thing, you could just go to wood gas instead...

Low tech and your fuel supply is pretty much omnipresent.
    You guys keep thinking like city people. A horse, or even a burro, would be better. Jesus; it would run off the grass on your lawn.

Go back to basics, not reenact Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. My guess is that most "survivalists" don't know shit about horses.

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    Regardless of all those answers, gas is better, from a seige warfare perspective.

How did you get to anti-american, retarded fuck-nugget?
    WTF are you babbling about now, son? Siege warfare? How much do you know about war? What the fucking idiots in a militia told you? Some of those idiots are going to prison.

Fredo, clearly I will always be a more pro-American and intelligent American citizen than you.

As for cars, the new ones are hybrids as discussed. In a survival situation, hook it up to a windmill, but in that case you'll probably cut it down to a tractor flatbed.

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

I always loved Lincolns and Cadillacs.
    Not the modern pieces of the crap but the 19 foot highway battleships of my youth.
    They were big, comfortable, highly inefficient, and air polluting.
    By the time I could afford them, the era was ending.
    Before I knew it, I was stuck with Jeep Grand Cherokees instead.

But the Germans invented the gasoline engine powered automobile in the mid 1880s.
    We're presently finishing off 2021.
    Is it really unreasonable to expect that the replacement should be coming along about now?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    You realize that that mobility scooter you were driving around last week is electric
    Why Biden? Because Fuck You that's why. Barack Obama has a Grammy, an Emmy, a Nobel Prize, 2 terms as President and a Twitter account.

Donald Trump has 2 impeachments.

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    you're a fucking idiot
    You're a drug addicted inbred

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    what I know is you are a sleazy liar... https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...-oil-subsidies
    not lying.....every item on the list are deductions from income taxes that are available to every US corporation........

look for example at "Intangible drilling oil & gas deduction ($2.3 billion)"......all that really means is that if a company spends money looking for a new source of oil and it turns out to be dry, they get to deduct their expenses from income earned on other oil wells........that is nothing more than a deduction of business expenses from income........tell me any company that isn't allowed to do that......

the second, "Excess of percentage over cost depletion ($1.5 billion)" is a short cut accounting method that benefits both the IRS and the taxpayers........it is an averaging of the cost of extraction to reduce the need for record keeping on individual oil wells or coal mines.....
    Percentage depletion is a capital cost recovery method that is allowed for nearly all natural resources except timber.

The IRS sets different depletion rates for different resources. Some of the rates are as follows:

Oil and gas, 15% percent
    Sand, gravel, and crushed stone, 5%
    Borax, granite, limestone, marble, mollusk shells, potash, slate, soapstone and carbon dioxide produced from a well, 14%
    Sulfur and uranium, 23%
    Gold, silver, copper, iron ore, and certain oil shale from U.S. deposits, 15%
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p...-depletion.asp

thanks for giving me another opportunity to show that what I said was true and that your are as dense as limestone......(and thus, your thoughts are eligible for the percentage depletion allowance)......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/pdf...generation.pdf

Wind is cheaper than natural gas even if subsidies are accounted for. Commercial solar installations are comparable to natural gas.
    does that include the costs of dealing with non recyclable wind vanes and solar panels?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You realize that that mobility scooter you were driving around last week is electric
    I drive a full size 5.7 Liter truck moron, I won't ever by an electric vehicle unless the range is more than 1200 miles

10. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I drive a full size 5.7 Liter truck moron, I won't ever by an electric vehicle unless the range is more than 1200 miles
    sure ya do
    Why Biden? Because Fuck You that's why. Barack Obama has a Grammy, an Emmy, a Nobel Prize, 2 terms as President and a Twitter account.

Donald Trump has 2 impeachments.

11. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/pdf...generation.pdf

Wind is cheaper than natural gas even if subsidies are accounted for. Commercial solar installations are comparable to natural gas.
    Neither desirable nor really true...

Wind and solar are heavily subsidized. Neither is cost effective without sustained subsidies but those have to come from somewhere so that's just cost shifting to make wind and solar look better.

Solar isn't competitive commercially against any other generation system period.

To get a kilowatt-day of power out of a solar array you need to install about 5 kw of capacity and have about 3 kw of storage capacity on top of that. The alternative is duplication of generation systems with the second being natural gas, oil, etc., to provide power when the sun goes down.

So, either you build roughly five times the generation capacity you need (maybe more), have 60% of that capacity in a storage system like batteries, pumped hydro (means upping the generation system to about 8 times the capacity you need because now you have to run pumps all day), some other system that stores energy for when the sun isn't shining, and have to install a 'stupid' grid (it isn't smart if it bankrupts the nation to build it), to move power around because some of the time you'll be overproducing for demand...

Solar is singularly the most inefficient and costly means to generate electricity there is.

The solution is nuclear backed by natural gas and going to either hydrogen or ammonia as a portable fuel using fuel cells. Solar and wind are losers and always will be.

12. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why not horses and goats? Cheap, better for the environment and everyone can grow their own. Win-Win!

13. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

sure ya do
    And over a billion dollars, your thugs couldn't trim his yard

14. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Why not horses and goats? Cheap, better for the environment and everyone can grow their own. Win-Win!
    Actually not. Livestock, especially in large cities were major sources of pollution and disease. A single horse produces between 15 and 35 pounds of manure a day. Between the smell, attraction of pestilence like flies, and unsanitary conditions, major cities were very unhealthy places to be. In New York City by 1860 there about 150,000 horses, by 1890 about 200,000... That's between 1500 and 3500 TONS of horse shit a day!
    Tack onto that horses that died each day and were abandoned on streets to rot, and you get a pretty nasty picture of were things were at pre-internal combustion engine...

If anything, the invention of the automobile saved the horse from a horrible fate of being worked to death while people's lives were vastly improved by the elimination of dead horses and thousands of tons of horseshit piling up in the streets.

15. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

It also has an ICe. It would be fine. My son takes his when he works in another state and leaves the Bolt to his wife. Some backwards states do not have many charging stations, so the Volt is perfect.
    The Volt runs on electricity until the charge runs out, then it seamlessly switches to the regular engine.