Page 1 of 249 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check on electric cars

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

Default Reality check on electric cars

REALITY CHECK: At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious "If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities."

"For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded. This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load."

So, as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This later "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this deadend road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine." Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip, your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus. So, the Government wants us to pay twice as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

WAKE UP NORTH AMERICA!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Stringfellow Hawk; 10-15-2021 at 02:56 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stringfellow Hawk For This Post:

Celticguy (10-15-2021), Gondwanaland (10-28-2021), Matt Dillon (10-15-2021), redfish (11-13-2021), The Sage of Main Street (10-16-2021), Truth Detector (10-20-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,766 Times in 7,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Can't read MAGA's post but the instrumentation on those things must be awesome.

Check battery.
    Check tire pressure.
    Check reality.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

4. The Following User Groans At NiftyNiblick For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-29-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    REALITY CHECK: At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious "If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities."

"For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded. This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load."

So, as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This later "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this deadend road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine." Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip, your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus. So, the Government wants us to pay twice as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

Your need to be an opioid addicted moron is revolting
    Why Biden? Because Fuck You that's why. Barack Obama has a Grammy, an Emmy, a Nobel Prize, 2 terms as President and a Twitter account.

Donald Trump has 2 impeachments.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Can't read MAGA's post but the instrumentation on those things must be awesome.

Check battery.
    Check tire pressure.
    Check reality.
    It's your basic conservative comment based on the conservative being a drug addicted moron

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    It's your basic conservative comment based on the conservative being a drug addicted moron
    still a lying piece of shit as usual, I see nothing has changed, back on ignore you go douchebag

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stringfellow Hawk For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-29-2021), redfish (11-13-2021), Truth Detector (10-20-2021)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Were it not for katzgar, I would never have realized that I'm a conservative.
    As Frank and Liza would say, Start spreading the news......

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Your assertion that Tesla is the most valuable car company in the world is correct

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Your need to be an opioid addicted moron is revolting
    thanks for providing us with detailed facts to back up your refutation of MAGA's post.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-29-2021), redfish (10-29-2021), Truth Detector (10-20-2021)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    thanks for providing us with detailed facts to back up your refutation of MAGA's post.....
    There's nothing to refute. His opioid addiction is really the issue here.
    Why Biden? Because Fuck You that's why. Barack Obama has a Grammy, an Emmy, a Nobel Prize, 2 terms as President and a Twitter account.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

There's nothing to refute.
    obviously there is.......but you don't do obvious.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-20-2021)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Forty years ago there were no cell phone towers.

That appears to have been addressed.

The internal combustion engine automobile has given us over 130 years of service.
    It did its job, and for the most part, did it very well.

I'm not super adept at driving a horse drawn carriage.
    The next generation needn't know how to drive and maintain a gasoline motorcar.
    It's simply time to move on.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

JPF (10-27-2021)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

[SIZE=4]REALITY CHECK: At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious "If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities."

Wow... Just WOW. What a bunch of nonsense.

Actually the average home with air conditioning is equipped with a 200 amp service. But even a 100 amp service can deliver 75 amps. So this claim is nonsense to begin with. Then it claims that the electrical grid can only deliver 225 amps to 25 homes that are wired to be able to use 2500 amps? An air conditioner is usually rated for 30-50 amps. Let's assume the 25 homes have 30 amp air conditioners. If all the homes were running air conditioners at the same time it would require 750 amps. Almost 3 times the requirement for 3 Teslas. The Teslas wouldn't be charging during the heat of the day when all those air conditioners would be running.

So now we are going to ignore the Teslas and move to a hybrid. The entire point of the reserve engine is that you don't need to charge the battery to keep driving. It wouldn't take 14.5 hours to take a road trip. When you have to fill up the gas tank, you simply get back on the road. Your average speed in a Volt would be 60mph if you drove 60mph. You don't have to charge the battery when you fill up the tank with gas. How much of an idiot is the person making this claim? They stopped making the Volt in 2019 and it's range had more than doubled by that time. In fact the stats they are using for the Volt are from the initial 2011 version of it.

Since we already know you can't do math, let's examine this idiocy. The average cost per kwh is not $1.16 anywhere in the country. The highest cost for kwh in the lower 48 states is about 21 cents. https://www.electricrate.com/electri...ates-by-state/ So this claim starts off by a factor of 5 at least. But the average cost for the US is actually about 13 cents. 16 x .21 = $3.36 at most to charge the battery and the average is actually 16 x .13 = $2.08. So the cost per mile is at most .13 per mile and more likely to be about .08 per mile. Funny thing, 8 cents per mile is less than 10 cents per mile.

If you were paying $1.16 per kwh, your average electrical bill would be in the neighborhood of $1000 per month. I do love your idiocy since that would mean you were paying almost as much for electricity that you are for your mortgage.

I guess that explains why you will always be poor and stupid, MAGA. You make so many errors that only a fool would believe what you posted.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Why don't you provide support for MAGA's post by telling us where in the US electricity costs $1.16 per kwh?

Here are recent numbers for electricity costs per the EIA
    https://www.eia.gov/electricity/mont...p?t=epmt_5_6_a
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

I won't address the easier BS in the OP, but I will address this:

1. A supercharger station can fully charge a battery in under two hours.

2. The closer an EV battery is to being fully charged, the slower it charges. If it takes a battery, say, 30 minutes to reach 50%, it will take another 30 minutes to reach 75%, and another 30 minutes to reach 100%.

In other words, if you take an EV on a long trip, it's faster to drive on partial charges than to fully charge it at every stop.

Oh, and the newest Tesla models go from 0 to 60 in like 1.8 seconds.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by American Man View Post
    I won't address the easier BS in the OP, but I will address this:

1. A supercharger station can fully charge a battery in under two hours.

2. The closer an EV battery is to being fully charged, the slower it charges. If it takes a battery, say, 30 minutes to reach 50%, it will take another 30 minutes to reach 75%, and another 30 minutes to reach 100%.

In other words, if you take an EV on a long trip, it's faster to drive on partial charges than to fully charge it at every stop.

Oh, and the newest Tesla models go from 0 to 60 in like 1.8 seconds.

his central crime is pretending everything stands still