Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Dealers Are Sneaky Scum

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by American Man View Post
    I just purchased a 2022 Kia yesterday. It was quite the adventure.

My tip is to focus on the price and the interest rate being offered, rather than the monthly payment, which is what they want you to focus on. Go in with a pre-approved auto loan from another bank and see if they can beat those rates, because relying on their rates is always a bad idea. Oh, and educate yourself on all of the unnecessary "dealer fees" that you absolutely don't need to pay. (I saved about $3,500 by threatening to walk out when they initially refused to remove certain ridiculous fees. For instance, their BS "transportation fee" of over a thousand dollars is included in the MSRP, but they still tried to sneak it in anyway.) And be careful about what you sign and when you sign it!

It's a shame how sneaky they are and how little government oversight there is, but if you do research and stand your ground and know your rights as a consumer, you'll get a good deal.

Lying to and trying to scam the consumer is the essence of capitalism. You are right. Used car dealers are scum. If you are going to buy a used car, buy one from a private seller. Just ask them up front why they are selling it to begin with. And if there is something wrong with it that you should know about. Though if it is a fairly expensive used vehicle, ask if they have any objections to bringing it to a mechanic to be look over before you buy it. If they object to that, walk away.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Why would anyone take out a car loan from a dealer?

You do your homework, decide on the vehicle you want to buy, shop amongst several dealers as to who is going to give you the most advantageous deal, get the price you like, and go to the bank or credit union for the loan. Am I missing something?

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,176 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Now that the price of used cars went up, people are starting to purchase new ones again.

Not me, as I stopped buying New Cars a couple of cars back.

New autos at that time were the world's worst investment.

That may be changing now that used ones almost cost the price of a new one.

The trick is buy a good one and take care of it and drive it 300,000 miles.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Now that the price of used cars went up, people are starting to purchase new ones again.

Not me, as I stopped buying New Cars a couple of cars back.

New autos at that time were the world's worst investment.

That may be changing now that used ones almost cost the price of a new one.

The trick is buy a good one and take care of it and drive it 300,000 miles.
    Been my approach ever since I could afford a new vehicle, don't have, nor want, an extensive knowledge of auto mechanics, nor am I concerned about what I drive, live in the NE, buy it and drive it as long as you can, I've always gotten my money out of my it

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,739 Times in 14,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chainbreak View Post
    Lying to and trying to scam the consumer is the essence of capitalism. You are right. Used car dealers are scum. If you are going to buy a used car, buy one from a private seller. Just ask them up front why they are selling it to begin with. And if there is something wrong with it that you should know about. Though if it is a fairly expensive used vehicle, ask if they have any objections to bringing it to a mechanic to be look over before you buy it. If they object to that, walk away.
    It might vary from state to state, but it is illegal for dealerships to sell lemons. Not so for private sales, but it's possible to buy a good used car from a friend or 'little old lady from Pasadena'
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Why would anyone take out a car loan from a dealer?

You do your homework, decide on the vehicle you want to buy, shop amongst several dealers as to who is going to give you the most advantageous deal, get the price you like, and go to the bank or credit union for the loan. Am I missing something?
    Sometimes dealers offer better rates than banks.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Sometimes dealers offer better rates than banks.
    Not denying it, but more often that not, not worth it, as the topic thread is showing, rather just make it all a cut and dry experience

8. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Althea (10-22-2021)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Been my approach ever since I could afford a new vehicle, don't have, nor want, an extensive knowledge of auto mechanics, nor am I concerned about what I drive, live in the NE, buy it and drive it as long as you can, I've always gotten my money out of my it
    Yep! And they just don't make bad cars anymore. Just about any car you choose is a good one.

I put 275,000 miles on my Infiniti- and it drove and looked brand new when I gave it to my grand daughter!

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep! And they just don't make bad cars anymore. Just about any car you choose is a good one.

I put 275,000 miles on my Infiniti- and it drove and looked brand new when I gave it to my grand daughter!
    There you go, as long as you are not a auto aficionado, and can afford it, it is the way to go

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There you go, as long as you are not a auto aficionado, and can afford it, it is the way to go
    Working on cars is just a hobby for me these days. And Youtube is your best friend! LOL!

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not denying it, but more often that not, not worth it, as the topic thread is showing, rather just make it all a cut and dry experience
    Salespeople are supposed to try and get as much for a vehicle as they can. That doesn't make them bad people. In fact, the salespeople make nothing compared to the days when nobody could find out invoice prices. They made commission on everything over invoice.

Now they're lucky to make $200 per sale.

That said, it's our job to get the best price as possible, no matter what it takes. There are amazing deals to be had when incentives get into the thousands. When you see ads on t.v. for vehicles offered at $4000 off, that's MSRP. If you get the savings off of invoice, you're doing pretty good.

Sometimes dealerships are trying to boost monthly numbers, or annual numbers, and will move a vehicle just to achieve that.

I find purchasing new cars a rather pleasurable hobby.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL. It's in the name!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (10-22-2021)

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    LOL. It's in the name!
    Duh! I should have thunk! LOL!

Seriously, it was one of the most luxurious dependable and fun automobiles I ever owned and I wish I had another one just like it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Althea (10-22-2021)

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Working on cars is just a hobby for me these days. And Youtube is your best friend! LOL!
    Same. But I spent a good part of this morning trying to fix a problem with my ‘04 Tahoe … 270,000+ miles. Started blowing heater air through the dash vents a couple of weeks ago as I was driving home from a family reunion. I know it’s an actuator problem but could never figure it out. Exhausted all Youtube hints so I finally called the guy I get to work on my rigs. I’ll be dropping it off with him on Monday.

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Duh! I should have thunk! LOL!

Seriously, it was one of the most luxurious dependable and fun automobiles I ever owned and I wish I had another one just like it.
    My buddy says the same thing about his.