Thread: Car Dealers Are Sneaky Scum

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Car dealers shady ? Say it aint so !!!!

But its a bad idea to buy a new car. Not as bad as it used to be when the value dropped by half when you signed but still bad.

New cars are wildly more reliable than when I got into the game in the 70's. Unless you expect to be putting a lot of miles on quickly you dont need a new car. You would do better leasing in that case.

Get a Toyota or Honda (Lexus of Accura) and mileage is almost a non issue. Take a home equity line for a good rate and write a check for it and you gain far more leverage on fees.

Avoid Nissan (Infinity) they have a tendency to use insane engineering which drives up labor costs. Other Asian cars are ok but not on a par ergo the price difference.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    You really don't get it do you? If I have calculated out what I want to pay in terms of payments, and the dealer agrees to those terms then I got the deal I wanted. The APR and vehicle price are irrelevant to that. I will end up paying over the life of the loan what I think is a good deal. It doesn't matter who the financing is through, or what the exact price of the vehicle is. I will end up paying--in total, price and interest--what I think is a good deal.

Only an idiot fixates on the price and once that's settled, starts negotiating the loan. That is what the dealer expects and wants.

When you start at the outcome and work back, you get the deal you want. When you work forward from the price of the vehicle you have no clue what the outcome will be and get screwed.
    Lol. There's this thing called "arithmetic" that allows you to calculate interest.

Quick question. What APR did you get through the dealer?

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by chainbreak View Post
    Lying to and trying to scam the consumer is the essence of capitalism. You are right. Used car dealers are scum. If you are going to buy a used car, buy one from a private seller. Just ask them up front why they are selling it to begin with. And if there is something wrong with it that you should know about. Though if it is a fairly expensive used vehicle, ask if they have any objections to bringing it to a mechanic to be look over before you buy it. If they object to that, walk away.
    I'm pretty good with cars, and even I would never buy used without a professional mechanic looking it over in his own garage. I've even heard stories of legit CPO cars having serious problems. (Then again, I knew a guy who bought a brand nde Ford and the transmission crapped out at 1,000 miles, so maybe no car is guaranteed.)

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,282 Times in 13,411 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 842 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by American Man View Post
    Lol. There's this thing called "arithmetic" that allows you to calculate interest.

Quick question. What APR did you get through the dealer?
    My last vehicle? Zero through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. I bought two vehicles and plopped a $20,000 down payment on them (helps to have a 10% share in a producing oil well in Texas... Conoco sends big checks monthly. https://secure.oildexdx.com/conocophillips/login.asp)

Anyway, I negotiated that deal in reverse just as I proposed and got the exact payment I wanted on both.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My last vehicle? Zero through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. I bought two vehicles and plopped a $20,000 down payment on them (helps to have a 10% share in a producing oil well in Texas... Conoco sends big checks monthly. https://secure.oildexdx.com/conocophillips/login.asp)

Anyway, I negotiated that deal in reverse just as I proposed and got the exact payment I wanted on both.
    I can't trust the judgment of a Nissan owner.

6. The Following User Groans At American Man For This Awful Post:

Rune (10-30-2021)

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,434 Times in 52,456 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't trust the judgment of political wackadoodles.

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Rune (10-30-2021)

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Okay... No idea why on that. The truck I bought was made in Tennessee. Not sure about the Versa.

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

I just purchased a 2022 Kia yesterday. It was quite the adventure.

My tip is to focus on the price and the interest rate being offered, rather than the monthly payment, which is what they want you to focus on. Go in with a pre-approved auto loan from another bank and see if they can beat those rates, because relying on their rates is always a bad idea. Oh, and educate yourself on all of the unnecessary "dealer fees" that you absolutely don't need to pay. (I saved about $3,500 by threatening to walk out when they initially refused to remove certain ridiculous fees. For instance, their BS "transportation fee" of over a thousand dollars is included in the MSRP, but they still tried to sneak it in anyway.) And be careful about what you sign and when you sign it!

It's a shame how sneaky they are and how little government oversight there is, but if you do research and stand your ground and know your rights as a consumer, you'll get a good deal.
    You know, the guy that works with me knows all that..and a couple weeks ago, he goes into to just look..

And ends up coming out with a truck and trading the old one in and all that.

He did NOT get an optimal deal as I've literally seen him do in the past. They got 'im!

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

American men buy American cars you poser piece of shit.
    Go fuck yourself.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Okay... No idea why on that. The truck I bought was made in Tennessee. Not sure about the Versa.
    The profit went to the Bank Of Japan.
    Help your own country you fucktard.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    The profit went to the Bank Of Japan.
    Help your own country you fucktard.
    Chrysler is owned by BMW and Fiat now. GM produces many of their vehicles in Mexico or Canada as well as plants overseas (Opel is the brand name in Germany for example). Ford has plants in many other countries. If anyone is a "fucktard" here it is you for not having a clue about the auto industry.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Chrysler is owned by BMW and Fiat now. GM produces many of their vehicles in Mexico or Canada as well as plants overseas (Opel is the brand name in Germany for example). Ford has plants in many other countries. If anyone is a "fucktard" here it is you for not having a clue about the auto industry.
    Ford is owned by shareholders.
    Kunt

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ford is owned by shareholders.
    Kunt
    Doesn't change that they have factories in many countries. Doesn't change they own the Mazda brand either...

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

American men buy American cars you poser piece of shit.
    Go fuck yourself.
    Kia makes some really good vehicles these days and they're much cheaper than American vehicles. Also, Kia is pretty high quality. My last car was a 2015 Kia Forte. Six years and 73,000 miles later, and there wasn't one significant issue with it besides the usual wear (oil changes, brake pads, filters, etc). I sold it to Carvana for $10,496 and used that as a down payment for my current 2022 Kia. I'll have this new vehicle paid off within a year and I have no regrets.

Now, I can tell you about all the American vehicles I've owned and all the problems they came with, but I see no point. Also, it's worth noting that a lot of foreign cars are built in the US. The VIN tells you where your car was assembled.

17. The Following User Groans At American Man For This Awful Post:

Rune (11-01-2021)