Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WHOA! House Riot Panel Will ‘Immediately’ Pursue Charges on Bannon if He no-shows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default WHOA! House Riot Panel Will ‘Immediately’ Pursue Charges on Bannon if He no-shows

Steve Bannon has a choice to make today: Either he appears for a deposition as ordered by House committee investigating the Capitol riot, or the panel will immediately pursue criminal contempt charges against him. CNN reports the committee is getting ready to seek a referral for criminal contempt as soon as the ex-Trump adviser’s subpoena deadline expires later today. Bannon’s lawyer made clear in a letter Wednesday that his client has absolutely no intention of giving testimony or handing documents to the committee until a ruling is made over whether former President Donald Trump can assert executive privilege to prevent witnesses from speaking to the panel. CNN’s sources said the committee would take the initial steps to send a referral to the Department of Justice within hours of Thursday’s deadline. Three other Trump administration officials face subpoena deadlines this week.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/steve-...imony?ref=home

NICE!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

christiefan915 (10-14-2021), evince (10-14-2021), Guno צְבִי (10-14-2021), ThatOwlWoman (10-14-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,091 Times in 33,818 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question for those who know the law, if he’s arrested, does this jeopardize his pardon?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

evince (10-14-2021), ThatOwlWoman (10-14-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,608 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Question for those who know the law, if he’s arrested, does this jeopardize his pardon?
    No. A pardon is forever. You can't go back and re-imprison him for something he was pardoned for simply because he gets arrested for contempt of Congress while courts make rulings on executive privilege. Though it is very unlikely he'll be arrested for that while such decisions are litigated.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    No. A pardon is forever. You can't go back and re-imprison him for something he was pardoned for simply because he gets arrested for contempt of Congress while courts make rulings on executive privilege. Though it is very unlikely he'll be arrested for that while such decisions are litigated.
    Thanks, there was chatter on Twitter and I thought they were binding.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,335 Times in 53,236 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think this is accurate. A pardon is forever, yes, but it does not cover future crimes. Contempt of court is a crime.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-15-2021)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,608 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I don't think this is accurate. A pardon is forever, yes, but it does not cover future crimes. Contempt of court is a crime.
    Correct. Hence my assertion he can be arrested for Contempt of Congress. However it is unlikely he will be while there is pending litigation on Executive Privilege going on.

My point was that this action (supposed contempt of congress charges) will not affect his previous pardon, because a pardon is a permanent thing.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-15-2021), Sailor (10-14-2021)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Another one for the discerning un-read libs...
    https://247newsaroundtheworld.com/ne...ry-6-committee
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Correct. Hence my assertion he can be arrested for Contempt of Congress. However it is unlikely he will be while there is pending litigation on Executive Privilege going on.

My point was that this action (supposed contempt of congress charges) will not affect his previous pardon, because a pardon is a permanent thing.
    They convene Tuesday for the vote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...hair-says.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-15-2021)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

True. Thanks.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,064 Times in 3,414 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 640 Times in 608 Posts

Pardons can't be revoked.

There is a question as to whether his crimes he was pardoned for can be used against him in sentencing for any future crimes.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-14-2021), PoliTalker (10-15-2021), ThatOwlWoman (10-14-2021)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    Pardons can't be revoked.

There is a question as to whether his crimes he was pardoned for can be used against him in sentencing for any future crimes.
    Thank you

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I would not think so. I believe the pardon covers everything in the past that is mentioned in the text of the pardon, but you can't give a pardon for future crimes, like contempt of court. #TRE45ON's little cult discussed that last year.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-15-2021)

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,883 Times in 21,651 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

It does not, but at that point he would’ve committed a totally new crime.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-14-2021), PoliTalker (10-15-2021)

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

not a contempt order......you realize how hard it is to find someone who ISN'T in contempt of congress?.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello reagansghost,

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    Steve Bannon has a choice to make today: Either he appears for a deposition as ordered by House committee investigating the Capitol riot, or the panel will immediately pursue criminal contempt charges against him. CNN reports the committee is getting ready to seek a referral for criminal contempt as soon as the ex-Trump adviser’s subpoena deadline expires later today. Bannon’s lawyer made clear in a letter Wednesday that his client has absolutely no intention of giving testimony or handing documents to the committee until a ruling is made over whether former President Donald Trump can assert executive privilege to prevent witnesses from speaking to the panel. CNN’s sources said the committee would take the initial steps to send a referral to the Department of Justice within hours of Thursday’s deadline. Three other Trump administration officials face subpoena deadlines this week.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/steve-...imony?ref=home

NICE!!
    LOCK HIM UP!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (10-14-2021), ThatOwlWoman (10-14-2021)