Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next Pandemic

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,227 Times in 6,865 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

Default The Next Pandemic

It's coming - we just don't know when. And it's probably it will be more dangerous and disruptive.

But sadly, we will not be able to effectively fight it. Trump and his followers have been wildly successful in their #1 goal: discrediting and marginalizing any solid source of information regarding disease, and even creating massive controversy over common sense measures that a population needs to take during a pandemic.

Who will anyone trust when it happens again? The CDC? WHO? The media? Healthcare professionals?

Conservatives have done their work so well. None of these sources really has credibility anymore, at least for millions of people. We'll have no centralized guidance or unity of purpose in combatting a common enemy. The planet is now open for business for any potential virus.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Let me offer some different spin. These agencies aren't above reproach and are far from faultless in how this country handled the pandemic. And then you have politicians who express the sentiment of "believe and follow the science" that made decisions based on politics, not science and data. And then people wonder why so many may have questions when the "experts" speak?

I'm in no way suggesting conservatives are blameless but it's a two way street. If someone really cares, rather than it just being about scoring political points, then they ought to be able to call out these agencies when they don't perform as well as people they may agree with politically.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-12-2021), Controlled Opposition (10-12-2021), dukkha (10-12-2021), Life is Golden (10-12-2021), Sailor (10-12-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    It's coming - we just don't know when. And it's probably it will be more dangerous and disruptive.

But sadly, we will not be able to effectively fight it. Trump and his followers have been wildly successful in their #1 goal: discrediting and marginalizing any solid source of information regarding disease, and even creating massive controversy over common sense measures that a population needs to take during a pandemic.

Who will anyone trust when it happens again? The CDC? WHO? The media? Healthcare professionals?

Conservatives have done their work so well. None of these sources really has credibility anymore, at least for millions of people. We'll have no centralized guidance or unity of purpose in combatting a common enemy. The planet is now open for business for any potential virus.
    Maybe it will be like Noah's Ark and the world will be wiped out.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Let me offer some different spin. These agencies aren't above reproach and are far from faultless in how this country handled the pandemic. And then you have politicians who express the sentiment of "believe and follow the science" that made decisions based on politics, not science and data. And then people wonder why so many may have questions when the "experts" speak?

I'm in no way suggesting conservatives are blameless but it's a two way street. If someone really cares, rather than it just being about scoring political points, then they ought to be able to call out these agencies when they don't perform as well as people they may agree with politically.
    We live in a country where everything is politicized. It's always been my point about the media: they DO have bias...but they also report real news. It's not "fake news." The discrediting of the media based on occasional bias that shows up has been equally as destructive to America, imo. You can say the media is at fault, but their sin is not egregious. The reaction is overblown compared to the offense.

And it's the same with the CDC, WHO & the rest. There are political influences - but overall, there are no sources of information that even come close to being as informed and vital. Certainly not the internet, or politicians. If we discredit those organizations completely based on a minimal amount of politicization, we're cutting off our nose to spite our face (as they say). We're leaving ourselves completely vulnerable to viruses.

When a pandemic hits, we need to act quickly & decisively, and with unity. That is unlikely to happen without a common source everyone trusts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-12-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We live in a country where everything is politicized. It's always been my point about the media: they DO have bias...but they also report real news. It's not "fake news." The discrediting of the media based on occasional bias that shows up has been equally as destructive to America, imo. You can say the media is at fault, but their sin is not egregious. The reaction is overblown compared to the offense.

And it's the same with the CDC, WHO & the rest. There are political influences - but overall, there are no sources of information that even come close to being as informed and vital. Certainly not the internet, or politicians. If we discredit those organizations completely based on a minimal amount of politicization, we're cutting off our nose to spite our face (as they say). We're leaving ourselves completely vulnerable to viruses.

When a pandemic hits, we need to act quickly & decisively, and with unity. That is unlikely to happen without a common source everyone trusts.
    I came across the most recent Freakonomics podcast this weekend on the negativity in the media. Within that discussion the NY Times was brought up and they offered this example from a April 29, 2020 headline:

Trump Seeks Push to Speed Vaccine, Despite Safety Concerns.”

And then they offered this passage from the article:

“President Trump is pressing his health officials to pursue a crash development program for a coronavirus vaccine that could be widely distributed by the beginning of next year, despite widespread skepticism that such an effort could succeed and considerable concern about the implications for safety.”

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/ame...egative-media/

I definitely agree that when you create a new (drug) product there are safety concerns so nothing wrong with stating that. But this is the NY Times, the leader of the resistance. It's pretty clear they're trying to tie the safety concerns to a distrust of Trump.

And I believe there is nuance regarding these organizations. Most people aren't suggesting these groups should be completely discredited. But if you want to swing people who may be on the fence to your side it's far easier to do so when you are viewed as having credibility rather than just being political partisans.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I came across the most recent Freakonomics podcast this weekend on the negativity in the media. Within that discussion the NY Times was brought up and they offered this example from a April 29, 2020 headline:

Trump Seeks Push to Speed Vaccine, Despite Safety Concerns.”

And then they offered this passage from the article:

“President Trump is pressing his health officials to pursue a crash development program for a coronavirus vaccine that could be widely distributed by the beginning of next year, despite widespread skepticism that such an effort could succeed and considerable concern about the implications for safety.”

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/ame...egative-media/

I definitely agree that when you create a new (drug) product there are safety concerns so nothing wrong with stating that. But this is the NY Times, the leader of the resistance. It's pretty clear they're trying to tie the safety concerns to a distrust of Trump.

And I believe there is nuance regarding these organizations. Most people aren't suggesting these groups should be completely discredited. But if you want to swing people who may be on the fence to your side it's far easier to do so when you are viewed as having credibility rather than just being political partisans.
    What you're saying is true, and if I could wish the bias away in all organizations, I would.

It's just there now. It's something I've kind of accepted. If I read the Times or watch CNN or Fox, I know what I'm getting. And I get why people could build up a strong distrust because of that.

But more than anything, that aspect of our country is where we are laying the groundwork for our own demise. If we can't trust an organization like the CDC on virus recommendations, the next pandemic could be complete chaos.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,784 Times in 17,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,593 Times in 4,271 Posts

The fact is science provides new information that changes with the data collected. It can actually change how we deal with a "novel" virus while we are involved with it. Rightys call changing as you learn and develop new ways of handling the Trump virus lies. They are not.
    The CDC followed procedures. Fauci told us not to buy 95 masks in the beginning because doctors, nurses and other health workers did not have them. they were the front line. We were also staying home except to shop. Rightys call it lying. He was acting in the best interests of the medical profession that was trying to handle the virus.
    Analyzing Covid as we keep dealing with it, is how it works. It was they who found the variants. The variants changed procedures a bit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-12-2021)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    The fact is science provides new information that changes with the data collected. It can actually change how we deal with a "novel" virus while we are involved with it. Rightys call changing as you learn and develop new ways of handling the Trump virus lies. They are not.
    The CDC followed procedures. Fauci told us not to buy 95 masks in the beginning because doctors, nurses and other health workers did not have them. they were the front line. We were also staying home except to shop. Rightys call it lying. He was acting in the best interests of the medical profession that was trying to handle the virus.
    Analyzing Covid as we keep dealing with it, is how it works. It was they who found the variants. The variants changed procedures a bit.
    STFU welfare boy. Seriously.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    STFU welfare boy. Seriously.
    When will you get out of high school? Stupid and childish threats and insults should embarrass you. It may be beyond you, but the rest of the board knows you know nothing about the other posters. Why do you keep making such stupid posts?

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What you're saying is true, and if I could wish the bias away in all organizations, I would.

It's just there now. It's something I've kind of accepted. If I read the Times or watch CNN or Fox, I know what I'm getting. And I get why people could build up a strong distrust because of that.

But more than anything, that aspect of our country is where we are laying the groundwork for our own demise. If we can't trust an organization like the CDC on virus recommendations, the next pandemic could be complete chaos.
    I agree that it's a problem when people in this country lose faith in our major institutions. And there is a problem on the right with so many who view almost everything as the 'deep state'. It's not healthy.

But many of these institutions are not above reproach. And in highly polarized times its more incumbent than ever for them to be seen/viewed as evenhanded as much as possible and they don't always do that (or come close to it).

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When will you get out of high school? Stupid and childish threats and insults should embarrass you. It may be beyond you, but the rest of the board knows you know nothing about the other posters. Why do you keep making such stupid posts?
    When are you going to say whose sock you are welfare boy? Fess up. Or shut up.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I see. So like when the CDC say its ok for kids to return to school (which private school kids did) but public school kids didn't because the teachers union didn't want to, and certain politicians put the wishes of the teachers union ahead of science that is ok because its in support of Democrats right? The science suddenly becomes secondary to political power.

So spare me your my side is always right your side is always wrong rhetoric Nordberg.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-12-2021), Sailor (10-12-2021)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This country is already in a pandemic. An almost irreversible pandemic of stupid. Prove me wrong.

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

This country is already in a pandemic. An almost irreversible pandemic of stupid. Prove me wrong.
    Convulsive Panic Attack Syndrome.......seems to affect all lib'ruls......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Sailor (10-12-2021)

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

When are you going to say whose sock you are welfare boy? Fess up. Or shut up.
    You are getting too immature and childish to deal with. Do you ever post anything of value? Calling people names and insulting them is so inane.