Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, serenity, Yakuda and ParachuteAdams

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Philosophy of Thomas Jefferson

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,448 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    In his writings perhaps, but not practice, and I don't believe many of the Founding Fathers including Jefferson embraced the French Revolution when it entered its Radical phase

The Federalist Party wasn't an agent of oligarchy and aristocracy, admittedly, some were obstinate as Adams, just as inflexible as Jefferson, but I would argue that it was Hamilton, a pragmatist, who gave the country direction

And I am not dissing Jefferson, rather, questioning the weight he is often granted, as I noted, individuals as Franklin and Hamilton played a big role
    Agreed they didn't agree with the mayhem. The French Revolution was how most revolutions turn out; dictatorships. We, the People were lucky we didn't end up like the rest.

He was great, but you are right that others were great too. One person that's often underrated is George Mason. Maybe because he refused to sign the Constitution. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mason
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (06-07-2022)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Jefferson's beliefs were decidedly radical for his time. He was a free-thinking secular humanist.

Jefferson embraced science against revealed superstitions.

Jefferson was part of the Enlightenment struggle against intolerance and tyranny.

Jefferson's world view was an eclectic mix of naturalism, rationalism, and proto-romantic sensibility.

Jefferson's metaphysical views were grounded in scientific naturalism.

Jefferson explicitly rejected the rationalist belief in innate ideas as well as the more elaborate idealism of Plato and Christian dualism.

Jefferson associated his three heroes of the Enlightenment - Bacon, Newton, Locke - with materialism.
    Jefferson argued that all physical realities can be constructed with sense data.

Jefferson's materialism resulted in a radical psychological reductionism.

Jefferson's religious beliefs were part of what was called "Christian paganism".

He was dismissive of evangelical religion.

Jefferson's attitude towards Jesus is complicated.

He deeply admired the ethical teachings of Jesus and kept a scrapbook of them.

Jefferson was an Arian in that he denied the divinity of Jesus, seeing him as a wise moral teacher like Socrates.

A radical free thinker, Jefferson was the most advanced spokesperson for the complete separation of church and state.

Source credit: Professor Darren Staloff, City College of New York
    but not for the separation of humanity from morality.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    In his writings perhaps, but not practice, and I don't believe many of the Founding Fathers including Jefferson embraced the French Revolution when it entered its Radical phase

The Federalist Party wasn't an agent of oligarchy and aristocracy, admittedly, some were obstinate as Adams, just as inflexible as Jefferson, but I would argue that it was Hamilton, a pragmatist, who gave the country direction

And I am not dissing Jefferson, rather, questioning the weight he is often granted, as I noted, individuals as Franklin and Hamilton played a big role
    thanks for the comment

Right, that's why I said Jefferson's legacy is for his rhetoric, not for the way his aspirational ideas didn't match his personal conduct. I also tried to be careful to say that Jefferson embraced the radical ideals of the French revolution, if not the terroristic regime instigated in 1792 by Robespierre et al.

Even by American standards, the ideals of the French revolution were radical and democratic in a way the American revolution wasn't. That is why most Anglo-American intellectuals thought the ideals of the French revolution were going to far.

I would say America history, broadly speaking, owes more to Jefferson's rhetoric of the self-evident nature of human equality. Adams and Hamilton were aristocrats who didn't trust democracy. The emergence of populist-based Jacksonian democracy, emancipation and the 13th amendment, and the switch to popular election of senators probably owes far more to Jeffersonian ideals than to anything Adams, Washington, or Hamilton wrote.

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

We know from his own writings that he considered slavery morally wrong, even though he couldn't bring himself to free his own slaves during his lifetime.

But in my opinion, the ideas of Jefferson can be considered separately from his sins as an individual.

The Declaration of Independence is rhetorically and philosophically one of the most powerful documents ever written, and that is why it has been used as the model around the world by European colonies declaring their independence from their colonial masters.
    I find it morally bankrupt to give lip service to anti-slavery,but own slaves!
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Honor View Post
    I find it morally bankrupt to give lip service to anti-slavery,but own slaves!
    Frederick Douglass and the abolitionists were able to use Jefferson's words to turn the tide against slavery, so Jeffersonian ideals shaped this nation, even as we realize the man's personal actions didn't match the rhetoric.

Jefferson blamed the British for introducing the evils of slavery to North America - but it is widely thought as a businessman he wasn't willing to give up his slaves and concede his business to his economic competitors in Virginia.

It is obviously a dark stain on his reputation as an individual.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Frederick Douglass and the abolitionists were able to use Jefferson's words to turn the tide against slavery, so Jeffersonian ideals shaped this nation, even as we realize the man's personal actions didn't match the rhetoric.

Jefferson blamed the British for introducing the evils of slavery to North America - but it is widely thought as a businessman he wasn't willing to give up his slaves and concede his business to his economic competitors in Virginia.

I'll stand by my statement
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,242 Times in 13,967 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,054 Times in 2,849 Posts

Using today’s understanding, you can admonish any of the Founding Fathers for something they did or said, but you have to consider context. Fact is they were not perfect men, but those men that created the new country that today values those principle they are being criticized for today

9. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Cypress (06-07-2022)

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Honor View Post
    I'll stand by my statement
    There are individuals in the bible who practiced polygamy and spoke approvingly of slavery, does that cause you to reject the spiritual and moral truths embedded in the bible?