Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt, serenity, Yakuda and ParachuteAdams

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhu Xi

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,684 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default Zhu Xi

I pretty much dig this Song Dynasty Neo-Confucian philosopher:

When you engage your mind in an investigation of things, knowledge is extended.

When knowledge is extended, your thinking becomes clear.

When your thinking becomes clear, you can rectify yourself; you can cultivate your own moral qualities.

When your moral qualities are cultivated, you will be able to properly order your family.

When your family is properly ordered, you will be able to govern your state well.

When you govern your state well, you will be able to bring order to the world.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (10-09-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father; through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven, was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary and became truly human. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son,* who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

When your thinking becomes clear, you can rectify yourself; you can cultivate your own moral qualities.

When your moral qualities are cultivated, you will be able to properly order your family.

When your family is properly ordered, you will be able to govern your state well.

When you govern your state well, you will be able to bring order to the world.

You need to recognize who made this world, boy.

" We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father; through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven, was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary and became truly human. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son,* who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen."

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Reminds me of the opening sentence of Aristotle's Metaphysics. "All men by nature desire to know."

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Reminds me of the opening sentence of Aristotle's Metaphysics. "All men by nature desire to know."
    Who came before Aristotle and Socrates? God. That's who.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Who came before Aristotle and Socrates? God. That's who.
    God is person? Please explain.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

God is person? Please explain.
    I never said God was a person, yet God was before Aristotle and Socrates.

God made the world before Aristotle and Socrates lived in it.

Socrates must be responsible for like 90% of my higher education. Every psyllabus used to say "blah blah blah, we teach by the Socratic method".

I thought it was BS back then, now I realize I was blessed.

https://tomprof.stanford.edu/posting/810

Yeah, I was done with school before this hit the internet.
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 10-07-2021 at 09:48 PM.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I never said God was a person, yet God was before Aristotle and Socrates.

Explain the time sense. How long was God around before Aristotle?

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Explain the time sense. How long was God around before Aristotle?
    Infinity.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Infinity.
    Okay. That's it. You clearly cannot think beyond obvious conventions.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,684 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

You need to recognize who made this world, boy.

" We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father; through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven, was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary and became truly human. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son,* who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen."
    If your mind was open, you would know that Jesus, Zhu Xi, Plato, Confucius, Sidartha Guatauma, Zarathustra were all basically speaking about the same basic metaphysical moral vision.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (10-09-2021), ThatOwlWoman (10-08-2021)

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If your mind was open, you would know that Jesus, Zhu Xi, Plato, Confucius, Sidartha Guatauma, Zarathustra were all basically speaking about the same basic metaphysical moral vision.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Okay. That's it. You clearly cannot think beyond obvious conventions.
    Oh? You can't think your way out of a wet paper bag, bitch. STFU trying to be eclectic, you fucking idiot.

You think in a box. I don't.
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 10-07-2021 at 10:00 PM.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Always remarkable to me that the western and Eastern philosophers were asking pretty much the same questions.
    Aristotle said many things similar to eastern philosophy. We sometimes think Aristotle is the epitome of western philosophy. But few philosophers have dared to understand what he meant by God as "thought thinking thought."

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh? You can't think your way out of a wet paper bag, bitch. STFU trying to be eclectic, you fucking idiot.

You think in a box. I don't.
    Yes, vulgar insults. Why I had you on ignore.