Members banned from this thread: LV426


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: migrant crisis at Mexico southern border

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    life
    Posts
    48,998
    Thanks
    12,415
    Thanked 20,769 Times in 14,550 Posts
    Groans
    243
    Groaned 1,848 Times in 1,761 Posts

    Default migrant crisis at Mexico southern border

    Tapachula has become a trap. Waves of Mexican national guard forces in riot gear, backed by immigration agents, block the roads heading north.

    Escape is close to impossible for those who can’t afford coyotes, or smugglers, who charge as much as $10,000 a person to reach the U.S. border.

    Migrants stuck here have little chance of finding jobs. Most lack legal authorization to work, and Chiapas state, which includes Tapachula, is one of Mexico’s poorest regions.

    “There is no life for us in Tapachula,” said Jean Edelince, 36, a native of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, who has been in Tapachula for four months with his wife and their 2-year-old daughter. “There is no work, no money, no way to survive.”

    He spoke inside a rundown house crammed with some 60 Haitians — men, women and children. Most sleep on mats. There is one functioning bathroom, no air conditioning and little running water. Tenants pool the little cash they have to pay rent of about $3,000 a month.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

    Darth Omar (09-28-2021), Earl (09-28-2021), ExpressLane (09-27-2021), MAGA (09-28-2021)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    life
    Posts
    48,998
    Thanks
    12,415
    Thanked 20,769 Times in 14,550 Posts
    Groans
    243
    Groaned 1,848 Times in 1,761 Posts

    Default

    In addition to economic conditions in South America, U.S. immigration policy is also a factor in the exodus. Unlike Central Americans, Haitians apprehended by the U.S. Border Patrol cannot be summarily sent back to Mexico.

    If they can slip into the United States and file for asylum — especially if accompanied by young children — they stand a good chance of securing provisional residency as their cases drag on in U.S. immigration court.

    Each day, hundreds of Haitians line up daily outside the headquarters of Mexico’s refugee agency to apply for refugee status. Most don’t qualify.

    The Haitians “arrive like an avalanche with so many people and are making the situation very complicated,” said Andrés Ramírez Silva, who heads the Mexican Commission for Refugee Assistance, which handles asylum claims. “This situation has put us on the verge of collapse.”

    Mexican authorities regularly deport Central Americans back to their homelands, or deposit them at the Guatemalan border, a practice denounced by human rights activists. U.S. authorities, meantime, have been flying Central Americans detained in the United States to Tapachula.

    In recent weeks, exasperated migrants have revived “caravans,” trekking north together in large groups. Scenes of national guard troops beating migrants intercepted in caravans have generated widespread condemnation.

    In August, Mexico’s defense minister declared that the “principal objective” of the military at the country’s southern border was to “stop all migration.” But the leftist government of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has denied systematic abuse.

    The president said migrants are being contained in the south not because he is succumbing to U.S. demands, but to spare them exposure to criminal gangs operating on Mexico’s northern border.

    Haitians pose a greater challenge. Mexico does not currently deport Haitians, but it lacks detention space to hold them — a growing crisis because both Colombia and Panama are reporting soaring numbers of Haitians heading north.


    In Tapachula, Haitians seeking to travel to the U.S. line up outside the Mexican refugee agency to seek asylum status. Few qualify, and waits drag on for months. A national guard member tries to contain the long line.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

    Earl (09-28-2021)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    40,536
    Thanks
    14,985
    Thanked 11,249 Times in 8,638 Posts
    Groans
    440
    Groaned 2,370 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Is Third World Labor good for America? Will it raise Wages? Or will it depress Wages?
    Yes, ... Third World Labor is GREAT for the Capitalists. Not so much for the American Worker.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    ExpressLane (09-27-2021)

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    108,558
    Thanks
    8,754
    Thanked 31,002 Times in 24,709 Posts
    Groans
    2,957
    Groaned 2,391 Times in 2,281 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    Tapachula has become a trap. Waves of Mexican national guard forces in riot gear, backed by immigration agents, block the roads heading north.

    Escape is close to impossible for those who can’t afford coyotes, or smugglers, who charge as much as $10,000 a person to reach the U.S. border.

    Migrants stuck here have little chance of finding jobs. Most lack legal authorization to work, and Chiapas state, which includes Tapachula, is one of Mexico’s poorest regions.

    “There is no life for us in Tapachula,” said Jean Edelince, 36, a native of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, who has been in Tapachula for four months with his wife and their 2-year-old daughter. “There is no work, no money, no way to survive.”

    He spoke inside a rundown house crammed with some 60 Haitians — men, women and children. Most sleep on mats. There is one functioning bathroom, no air conditioning and little running water. Tenants pool the little cash they have to pay rent of about $3,000 a month.
    not content with fucking up the US, Biden has decided to fuck up Mexico with his open borders invitation.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    ExpressLane (09-27-2021), Lionfish (09-27-2021)

  9. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    108,558
    Thanks
    8,754
    Thanked 31,002 Times in 24,709 Posts
    Groans
    2,957
    Groaned 2,391 Times in 2,281 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    In Tapachula, Haitians seeking to travel to the U.S. line up outside the Mexican refugee agency to seek asylum status. Few qualify.
    color us surprised......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    ExpressLane (09-27-2021)

  11. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    40,536
    Thanks
    14,985
    Thanked 11,249 Times in 8,638 Posts
    Groans
    440
    Groaned 2,370 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    My guess, the American Working Class supports a 'No Vacancy' immigration Policy.
    Of course, the Elites (who never get their hands dirty) support Open Borders.
    Maids, Gardeners, Pool boys, Nannies, Cooks ... Elites feel $7/Hr. is way too much.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    ExpressLane (09-27-2021)

  13. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    25,795
    Thanks
    1,535
    Thanked 6,808 Times in 5,545 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 282 Times in 270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    There is no crisis...what is happening is exactly what our owners want, it is what they have made, on purpose.

    Wake Up People!

    The hour is very late.
    Things only get worse from here. I am not one who decided upon or consented to this course of action. Take that up with the Failed Intelligentsia!<<<<<Hawkeye The Wise

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

    Stone (09-28-2021)

  15. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    8,177
    Thanks
    1,704
    Thanked 3,535 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Groans
    280
    Groaned 389 Times in 376 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    In addition to economic conditions in South America, U.S. immigration policy is also a factor in the exodus. Unlike Central Americans, Haitians apprehended by the U.S. Border Patrol cannot be summarily sent back to Mexico.

    If they can slip into the United States and file for asylum — especially if accompanied by young children — they stand a good chance of securing provisional residency as their cases drag on in U.S. immigration court.

    Each day, hundreds of Haitians line up daily outside the headquarters of Mexico’s refugee agency to apply for refugee status. Most don’t qualify.

    The Haitians “arrive like an avalanche with so many people and are making the situation very complicated,” said Andrés Ramírez Silva, who heads the Mexican Commission for Refugee Assistance, which handles asylum claims. “This situation has put us on the verge of collapse.”

    Mexican authorities regularly deport Central Americans back to their homelands, or deposit them at the Guatemalan border, a practice denounced by human rights activists. U.S. authorities, meantime, have been flying Central Americans detained in the United States to Tapachula.

    In recent weeks, exasperated migrants have revived “caravans,” trekking north together in large groups. Scenes of national guard troops beating migrants intercepted in caravans have generated widespread condemnation.

    In August, Mexico’s defense minister declared that the “principal objective” of the military at the country’s southern border was to “stop all migration.” But the leftist government of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has denied systematic abuse.

    The president said migrants are being contained in the south not because he is succumbing to U.S. demands, but to spare them exposure to criminal gangs operating on Mexico’s northern border.

    Haitians pose a greater challenge. Mexico does not currently deport Haitians, but it lacks detention space to hold them — a growing crisis because both Colombia and Panama are reporting soaring numbers of Haitians heading north.


    In Tapachula, Haitians seeking to travel to the U.S. line up outside the Mexican refugee agency to seek asylum status. Few qualify, and waits drag on for months. A national guard member tries to contain the long line.
    how dare those people do what it takes to find a job and take care of their family and live a normal life!! fuck them! Jesus said "Fuck those who seek a better life, for they might taketh away your busboy job."

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier Daddy For This Post:

    AProudLefty (09-28-2021)

  17. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    8,177
    Thanks
    1,704
    Thanked 3,535 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Groans
    280
    Groaned 389 Times in 376 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    There is no crisis...what is happening is exactly what our owners want, it is what they have made, on purpose.

    Wake Up People!

    The hour is very late.
    the way we have done it for decades, in fact, centuries, stupid fuck bitch. we are the melting pot. we welcome diversity. we emulate Jesus when it comes to helping those with the least. fucking asshole.

    Matthew 25:35-40

    35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

    37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

    40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

    Galatians 5:14

    For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

    Galatians 3:28

    There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

    Hebrews 13:2

    Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

    Jeremiah 22:3

    Thus says the Lord: Do justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the resident alien, the fatherless, and the widow, nor shed innocent blood in this place.

    Exodus 12:49

    There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who sojourns among you.

    Leviticus 24:22

    You shall have the same rule for the sojourner and for the native, for I am the Lord your God.

  18. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    49,883
    Thanks
    14,463
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Is Third World Labor good for America? Will it raise Wages? Or will it depress Wages?
    Yes, ... Third World Labor is GREAT for the Capitalists. Not so much for the American Worker.
    Capitalists want the workers and Democrats want the voters.

    We’ve only been bitching about it for two decades now. How do we make it stop?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

    Earl (09-28-2021)

  20. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    49,883
    Thanks
    14,463
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    the way we have done it for decades, in fact, centuries, stupid fuck bitch. we are the melting pot. we welcome diversity. we emulate Jesus when it comes to helping those with the least. fucking asshole.

    Matthew 25:35-40

    35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

    37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

    40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

    Galatians 5:14

    For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

    Galatians 3:28

    There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

    Hebrews 13:2

    Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

    Jeremiah 22:3

    Thus says the Lord: Do justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the resident alien, the fatherless, and the widow, nor shed innocent blood in this place.

    Exodus 12:49

    There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who sojourns among you.

    Leviticus 24:22

    You shall have the same rule for the sojourner and for the native, for I am the Lord your God.
    All of that is very good ethical teaching but it was intended to be applied by the *individual*. IOW, are YOU doing these things? Ancient Israel allowed for sojourners and they even had the first ‘sanctuary cities’ but they also built walls and would never abide what has become—in effect, an invasion.

    We are on the identical path Europe was in 2015 when they opened their borders to masses of Muslim immigrants and now they have no-go zones, increased rape and the economic burden that comes with supporting unemployed foreigners. In fact, it will be interesting to see if parts of Europe are still recognizable as parts of Europe in 10-15 years.

    Which is exactly the point. A nation won’t survive as a nation [shared language, shared cultural values and etc] for very long with uncontrolled immigration.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

    Earl (09-28-2021)

  22. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    2,627
    Thanks
    682
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 867 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 55 Times in 46 Posts

    Default

    I was all about the LGBTQ community until I found out it did not mean, "Let's Get Biden To Quit"
    If my posts offend you:
    1. I'm sorry.
    2. It won't happen again.
    3. 1 & 2 are both lies.
    4. You're a pussy.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionfish For This Post:

    Earl (09-28-2021)

  24. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    32,646
    Thanks
    49,175
    Thanked 14,115 Times in 10,922 Posts
    Groans
    30,640
    Groaned 2,145 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Is Third World Labor good for America? Will it raise Wages? Or will it depress Wages?
    Yes, ... Third World Labor is GREAT for the Capitalists. Not so much for the American Worker.
    We got along just fine with seasonal workers allowed in to pick the vegetables and fruit and then return to Mexico.

    Illegal immigration violates our immigration laws and is a crime to do so.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

    RB 60 (09-28-2021)

  26. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    32,646
    Thanks
    49,175
    Thanked 14,115 Times in 10,922 Posts
    Groans
    30,640
    Groaned 2,145 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    All of that is very good ethical teaching but it was intended to be applied by the *individual*. IOW, are YOU doing these things? Ancient Israel allowed for sojourners and they even had the first ‘sanctuary cities’ but they also built walls and would never abide what has become—in effect, an invasion.

    We are on the identical path Europe was in 2015 when they opened their borders to masses of Muslim immigrants and now they have no-go zones, increased rape and the economic burden that comes with supporting unemployed foreigners. In fact, it will be interesting to see if parts of Europe are still recognizable as parts of Europe in 10-15 years.

    Which is exactly the point. A nation won’t survive as a nation [shared language, shared cultural values and etc] for very long with uncontrolled immigration.
    The language factor is especially egregious.

    Teddy Roosevelt

    “In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”
    Last edited by Earl; 09-28-2021 at 08:01 AM.

  27. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    32,646
    Thanks
    49,175
    Thanked 14,115 Times in 10,922 Posts
    Groans
    30,640
    Groaned 2,145 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    The melting pot includes everyone who comes here legally but not those who come illegally.

Similar Threads

  1. Video Of Migrant Boy Abandoned At Border Spotlights Crisis
    By anatta in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-07-2021, 12:10 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-25-2021, 07:19 AM
  3. Something Big Just Happened On Mexico’s Southern Border
    By Stretch in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-06-2019, 02:29 PM
  4. Mexico meets migrants at southern border with armed forces
    By Earl in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2019, 11:53 AM
  5. Migrant Caravan Arrives at US-Mexico Border
    By dukkha in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 05-05-2018, 10:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •