Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Stop teaching morons that Christianity has a monopoly on virtue

1. #226 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    In the "Declaration of Independence," the founding document of what would become the United States, Thomas Jefferson mentions "nature's God." Unfortunately, this phrase is unclear. The religious beliefs of Jefferson were much debated in his time and still are over two centuries later. Through the letters and other writings of Jefferson, it is possible to construct an outline of his beliefs. Although he supported the moral teachings of Jesus, Jefferson believed in a creator similar to the God of deism. In the tradition of deism, Jefferson based his God on reason and rejected revealed religion.

Spinoza is relevant here:

But Spinoza does not only dismantle the orthodox notion of a personal God, which he regards as a source of human misery. He also famously refers to ‘God or Nature’ (Deus sive Natura), which suggests that God is nothing but nature, and that ‘God’ can broadly be construed to refer both to the visible cosmos and to the unseen but fundamental power, laws and principles that govern it. And this, to me at least, looks like true atheism. In Spinoza’s view, all there is is nature. There is no supernatural; there is nothing that does not belong to nature and that is not subject to its causal processes.

https://literaryreview.co.uk/letting-go-of-god

2. #227 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Unfortunately, this phrase is unclear.
    yet the board's dumbfucks are convinced it means the founding fathers didn't believe in God......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

3. #228 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Spinoza is relevant here:

But Spinoza does not only dismantle the orthodox notion of a personal God, which he regards as a source of human misery. He also famously refers to ‘God or Nature’ (Deus sive Natura), which suggests that God is nothing but nature, and that ‘God’ can broadly be construed to refer both to the visible cosmos and to the unseen but fundamental power, laws and principles that govern it. And this, to me at least, looks like true atheism. In Spinoza’s view, all there is is nature. There is no supernatural; there is nothing that does not belong to nature and that is not subject to its causal processes.

https://literaryreview.co.uk/letting-go-of-god
    why would ignorance be relevant?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

4. #229 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Religious authoritarians cannot stand the fact that each of us has the right to make our own decisions.

5. #230 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,650 Times in 27,304 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    yet the board's dumbfucks are convinced it means the founding fathers didn't believe in God......
    Surely you aren't talking about me I never said anything of the sort.

My main point was that belief can be both reasonable and rational, even in the absence of empirical data and sensory perception.

This is famously demostrated in a belief in a universal higher truth, a natural law, expressed as universal equality and liberty articulated by both the American and French revolutionaries.

And as articulated by Christians, Deists and atheists alike of the Enlightenment era.

For that matter, the Confucian scholars of Medieval China were not strictly theists themselves, but they believed in a concept of Li - a naturally occurring pattern of universal principles and universal moral values. Basically, a type of Eastern analog to the West's tenet of natural law.