Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Stop teaching morons that Christianity has a monopoly on virtue

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,814 Times in 27,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Belief doesn't have to fall between truth and conjecture. Nutcases really believe Trump was robbed of the election.
    That is a strong belief and it is pure delusional thinking contrary to absolute fact.
    No argument from me.

That is exactly why I specifically wrote this:

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Belief, by definition, falls somewhere in between truth and conjecture. Belief can be, but is not necessarily, based on reason and rationality.
    The Kraken conspiracy belief is neither reasonable nor rational.

I maintain that a belief in a type of universal human rights/moral consciousness based on justice, equality, and mercy is a reasonable and rational belief system.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Cypress,

My faith is simply that I believe in the goodness of humans to prevail over the badness of humans. Not every time, but in general. I base this faith on the fact that the world has progressed over time. If badness prevailed, the world would come apart, descend into anarchy. Thievery would be greater than production. But that is not the case. So I have my faith.
    ^^ That belief system certainly is reasonable and rational, even if it isn't based on pure empiricism and analytical data.

I think we are on the same page that intuition and belief can be a foundation for knowledge, just like empirical data and sensory perception can.

3. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

^^ That belief system certainly is reasonable and rational, even if it isn't based on pure empiricism and analytical data.

I think we are on the same page that intuition and belief can be a foundation for knowledge, just like empirical data and sensory perception can.
    Not intuition.

It's merely logic based - from observation.

I call it faith because it cannot be proven.

I take it on faith because it can't be proved that good will always prevail over bad. But it has so far, so it is reasonable to believe it will continue.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No argument from me.

That is exactly why I specifically wrote this:

The Kraken conspiracy belief is neither reasonable nor rational.

I maintain that a belief in a type of universal human rights/moral consciousness based on justice, equality, and mercy is a reasonable and rational belief system.
    Hello Cypress,

Not intuition.

It's merely logic based - from observation.

I call it faith because it cannot be proven.
    Someone might claim your logic is flawed then. The last 100 years have arguably been the most brutal, inhumane, cruel period of time in human history.

The world wars, the Holocaust, the Gulag Archipelago, Rwanda, the Cambodian killing fields, the Cultural revolution make the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Napoleonic wars pale in comparison.

Observation would seem to suggest human nature is descending into abject and unabated cruelty.

I am think to some extent I have to believe there is a higher moral consciousness that humans perceive which gives us the motivation to attempt to morally improve ourselves

5. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Someone might claim your logic is flawed then. The last 100 years have arguably been the most brutal, inhumane, cruel period of time in human history.

The world wars, the Holocaust, the Gulag Archipelago, Rwanda, the Cambodian killing fields, the Cultural revolution make the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Napoleonic wars pale in comparison.

Observation would seem to suggest human nature is descending into abject and unabated cruelty.

I am think to some extent I have to believe there is a higher moral consciousness that humans perceive which gives us the motivation to attempt to morally improve ourselves
    Despite all of that, world population has absolutely exploded. More people are living in more luxury than ever before. The quality of life, and life expectancy at the upper end have risen despite all of the tragedy. Human advancement has also exploded. Powered flight, space travel, deep sea vehicles. People climb Everest for fun. We have cyber surgery and Cat Scan machines. I'll stick to my perception that overall, humanity has advanced.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Cypress,

Despite all of that, world population has absolutely exploded. More people are living in more luxury than ever before. The quality of life, and life expectancy at the upper end have risen despite all of the tragedy. Human advancement has also exploded. Powered flight, space travel, deep sea vehicles. People climb Everest for fun. We have cyber surgery and Cat Scan machines. I'll stick to my perception that overall, humanity has advanced.
    Fair enough. I respect your opinion.

But under this scenario, we are anachronisticly looking to the past and making assumptions about observations over time.

But Confucius, Sidartha Guatauma, Plato, Francis of Assisi did not have the advantage of looking back in time from the year 2021 to observe purported moral of improvement of humanity in the modern era.

And yet without that knowledge, they were still thinking deeply about the cultivation of virtue and a universal metaphysical moral vision.

And they thought this cultivation of moral improvement was critical issue for human nature and human existence without the advantage of looking backward from 2021.

I guess what it says to me that one can believe moral cultivation is an important part of being human without making observations from the year 2021 looking back at history.

7. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."
    Here is another one of my favorite examples of a rational belief based on universal moral consciousness and natural law, rather than on data and empiricism >

Declaration of the Rights of Man, France 1789

The representatives of the French people believing that the ignorance, neglect, or contempt of the rights of man are the sole cause of public calamities and of the corruption of governments, have determined to set forth in a solemn declaration the natural, unalienable, and sacred rights of man:

Men are born and remain free and equal in rights. Social distinctions may be founded only upon the general good.

The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man . These rights are liberty, property, security, and resistance to oppression.

Liberty consists in the freedom to do everything which injures no one else; hence the exercise of the natural rights of each man has no limits except those which assure to the other members of the society the enjoyment of the same rights
    My two cents: Data and empirical inductive logic is an extremely powerful tool, and the world is better off for the empiricism first articulated by Francis Bacon in the 16th century.

But empiricism and data cannot always supplant or be a substitute for belief based on moral conscience.

8. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I have never been more proud of any vote I've ever cast than my vote for Biden and against Trump. And it will remain that way forever.
    Because you'd rather be loyal to your ideology and don't care that it is evil?
    The Left will cause Government of the people, by the people, for the people, to perish from the Earth.

Trump is mankind's last hope to preserve Liberty.

MAGA

9. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

Just say 'Oh my goodness' instead.

Or simply OMG, and you define what it means.

That's the way to avoid being hypocritical.
    Are any of you fellows concealing your commitment or loyalty or devotion to Islam or Jihad or Islamic doctrine or the Prophet Mohammed or Allah or Sharia in these exchanges?
    The Left will cause Government of the people, by the people, for the people, to perish from the Earth.

Trump is mankind's last hope to preserve Liberty.

MAGA

10. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Fair enough. I respect your opinion.

But under this scenario, we are anachronisticly looking to the past and making assumptions about observations over time.

But Confucius, Sidartha Guatauma, Plato, Francis of Assisi did not have the advantage of looking back in time from the year 2021 to observe purported moral of improvement of humanity in the modern era.

And yet without that knowledge, they were still thinking deeply about the cultivation of virtue and a universal metaphysical moral vision.

And they thought this cultivation of moral improvement was critical issue for human nature and human existence without the advantage of looking backward from 2021.

I guess what it says to me that one can believe moral cultivation is an important part of being human without making observations from the year 2021 looking back at history.
    Those were all great thinkers of the past. They are to be respected. We have great thinkers in our own age as well. More of them. So many more that they are not as distinct as the ones you have quoted. I don't believe that makes their thinking any less inspired.

The great thinkers of the past did not have as much information to work with as we do now. Current science is so advanced it is beyond the comprehension of any individual. People have their specialty areas in which they are experts. Nobody can know it all. And we don't have to now, since human knowledge has been saved on electronic memory and is now widely available to anyone with an internet connection.

We don't have to remember all the details of anything as long as we know concepts and where to find the details. That has been the case in a rudimentary fashion since the age of printing, but for each individual it only went as far as the books which were available to that person. We now live in the information age, a very exciting time in human history.

Actually, we know so much it is scary to many, who withdraw from it, shun it. The internet is largely wasted on very shallow stuff. But for those who know how to tap into higher thinking it is fantastic. And there are millions of great thinkers now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (10-02-2021)

12. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A prominent example of a rational belief that humans are endowed and vested with certain natural inalienable rights, which can never be taken away by secular laws, the whims of dictators, or the proscriptions of public opinion. They exist imperpetuity despite any attempts by legislation, mob rule, or force to take them away.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948, UN General Assembly

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world ..

Article 1
    All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-02-2021)

14. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

A prominent example of a rational belief that humans are endowed and vested with certain natural inalienable rights, which can never be taken away by secular laws, the whims of dictators, or the proscriptions of public opinion. They exist imperpetuity despite any attempts by legislation, mob rule, or force to take them away.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948, UN General Assembly

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world ..

Article 1
    All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
    I like that better than the mention of all this coming from a creator.

15. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,002 Times in 32,307 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is widely understood by anyone who has read history that the Declaration of Independence and the French Revolution were invoking universal natural rights.
    there were a few of deists involved in the American Revolution.........hardly a predominance......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    there were a few of deists involved in the American Revolution.........hardly a predominance......
    My post made reference to Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson was the main author of the Declaration, and he was undoubtedly a Deist.

17. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,002 Times in 32,307 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

My post made reference to Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson was the main author of the Declaration, and he was undoubtedly a Deist.
    so was Franklin.....now you have a pair......but I have full house........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”