Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: More men are abandoning college. Professor explains why this is dangerous

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,244 Times in 13,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    Note to most people. Avoid the poisoning your mind will get by attending most colleges.
    Most women go to college and get worthless and semi-worthless degrees in liberal arts. So, their attendance is largely a waste of time and money. Many of them are really there to get the infamous "Mrs." degree.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Into the Night (09-26-2021)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,355 Times in 52,407 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Most women go to college and get worthless and semi-worthless degrees in liberal arts. So, their attendance is largely a waste of time and money. Many of them are really there to get the infamous "Mrs." degree.
    Jesus, dude. How badly do you miss the 70s? https://inside.collegefactual.com/st...-for-women-men

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (09-26-2021), Guno צְבִי (09-26-2021), signalmankenneth (09-26-2021)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    I doubt if you or MAGA could converse with a college educated woman?!!

I can and have. I think the funniest stories come out of a single class I took, freshman astronomy. I took it in my junior year because I needed a filler course for my GI Bill benefits. If you take less than 12 credit hours they severely reduce the cash you get and I'd have had to pay some for courses if I let that happen.

Anyway, I took it because I'd already had courses in chemistry (both inorganic and organic), geology, physics, etc. For me I saw it as an easy 'A' and that it might be fun to take. The prof PDQ figured out I was an outlier / ringer and pulled me aside after one of the first sessions to tell me that I'd get an A but only if I helped the rest of the class...

So, the class was filled with liberal arts majors, mostly women. There were like 60 to 80 students in the section. I can remember having to show them how to do precession using basic arithmetic and simple algebra rather than the way the prof had shown them after class on the whiteboard. Or, the time that the prof had us calculate the age of the Earth using the half life of uranium... That was hilarious! I came to class having done this simple problem not even thinking about it.
    The class was in an tither over it. Seems nobody except me had been able to do it because the half-life of uranium wasn't in the class textbook and nobody else (I used my hand dandy chart of the nuclides) had the brains to look anywhere else for it... So the prof had me hand him my little chart (it's the part necessary for fission and fusion calculations) and put the number on the board. He let them have to the next class to do it. I had to show many how you would do it...
    Or the lady that refused to believe that the defense budget (this was before class) wasn't the biggest part of the federal budget. No amount of sources and graphs would convince her otherwise.
    Or another I got held after class--I'd related this story to the prof earlier--to tell another female student that planes could easily disappear in the Bermuda Triangle without a trace. This was about an A-7 on the Enterprise that had gone down about 40 miles from the carrier off San Diego during training ops. We searched for four days and didn't find anything, long story short.

That class was such a hoot. The bulk of the liberal arts majors were vapid idiots. They couldn't do simple algebra. They had no real skills at researching or documenting anything. They were like high school students going through high school a second time.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

anonymoose (09-25-2021), Into the Night (09-26-2021)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Jesus, dude. How badly do you miss the 70s?
    You must have never gone to college. The vast majority of the degrees on those graphs are liberal arts degrees, either BA's or FA's.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,483 Times in 7,579 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    Men are being smart. They realize college is only for people who can get an MBA or a stem degree. Women are getting their useless liberal arts degrees and going into debt forever.
    MBA’s are pretty useless. No better than a general business degree. Great for getting a job as a life insurance salesman. (Not that there’s anything wrong with being a life insurance salesman. Just that it doesn’t really require a degree.)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

11. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can and have. I think the funniest stories come out of a single class I took, freshman astronomy. I took it in my junior year because I needed a filler course for my GI Bill benefits. If you take less than 12 credit hours they severely reduce the cash you get and I'd have had to pay some for courses if I let that happen.

Anyway, I took it because I'd already had courses in chemistry (both inorganic and organic), geology, physics, etc. For me I saw it as an easy 'A' and that it might be fun to take. The prof PDQ figured out I was an outlier / ringer and pulled me aside after one of the first sessions to tell me that I'd get an A but only if I helped the rest of the class...

So, the class was filled with liberal arts majors, mostly women. There were like 60 to 80 students in the section. I can remember having to show them how to do precession using basic arithmetic and simple algebra rather than the way the prof had shown them after class on the whiteboard. Or, the time that the prof had us calculate the age of the Earth using the half life of uranium... That was hilarious! I came to class having done this simple problem not even thinking about it.
    The class was in an tither over it. Seems nobody except me had been able to do it because the half-life of uranium wasn't in the class textbook and nobody else (I used my hand dandy chart of the nuclides) had the brains to look anywhere else for it... So the prof had me hand him my little chart (it's the part necessary for fission and fusion calculations) and put the number on the board. He let them have to the next class to do it. I had to show many how you would do it...
    Or the lady that refused to believe that the defense budget (this was before class) wasn't the biggest part of the federal budget. No amount of sources and graphs would convince her otherwise.
    Or another I got held after class--I'd related this story to the prof earlier--to tell another female student that planes could easily disappear in the Bermuda Triangle without a trace. This was about an A-7 on the Enterprise that had gone down about 40 miles from the carrier off San Diego during training ops. We searched for four days and didn't find anything, long story short.

That class was such a hoot. The bulk of the liberal arts majors were vapid idiots. They couldn't do simple algebra. They had no real skills at researching or documenting anything. They were like high school students going through high school a second time.
    wow, such a shame you spent 27 yrs sucking up gravy in the chow hall instead of working those equations and splitting atoms, eh slugger?

12. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    NYU Professor Scott Galloway says the drop in men going to college is part of a growing mating crisis in the US and that the country runs the risk of producing "too many of the most dangerous cohort in the world" if the trend isn't reversed.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/business...bbe05a178.html

Attachment 20897
    Fuck college. My son is a certified FAA aircraft mechanic. He’s way farther ahead at his age than I was. And I’m a dentist.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

14. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    wow, such a shame you spent 27 yrs sucking up gravy in the chow hall instead of working those equations and splitting atoms, eh slugger?
    I was in nuclear power so I was splitting those atoms...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

anonymoose (09-27-2021), Into the Night (09-26-2021)

16. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Fuck college. My son is a certified FAA aircraft mechanic. He’s way farther ahead at his age than I was. And I’m a dentist.
    Bet the kid makes good money at that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

18. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Bet the kid makes good money at that.
    Yep. Worked his way up with experience and now works on the big jets with fedex . Says it’s the last job he’ll ever have.
    Early 30’s.
    He’s an effing mechanical genius.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

20. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You must have never gone to college. The vast majority of the degrees on those graphs are liberal arts degrees, either BA's or FA's.
    You must have dropped out of high school because, unlike your "Mrs. degree" false claim, the link states:

Nursing is the heavyweight here, with over 120,000 women graduating with a bachelor's in nursing in 2016. Nursing is also a female-dominated major, with 87% of graduates being women.

Which of the 20 most popular majors for women have the best earning potential? That would be Political Science and Government, which is 46% female-dominated, and where grads earn a median salary of $62,600.

The average salary for the top 20 most popular majors women choose is $52,800.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (09-26-2021), Guno צְבִי (09-26-2021)

22. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Which means he attended higher training for his A&P or worked for several years OJT.

Do you really think the average Fedex mechanic tops out dentists in pay over the course of their careers?

We can agree college isn't for everyone and for some, it's a total waste of money. This is the #1 reason why I'm against "Free College". Better to create more avenues for people to earn their degrees/higher training than to give it to them.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

anonymoose (09-27-2021)

24. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

MBA’s are pretty useless. No better than a general business degree. Great for getting a job as a life insurance salesman. (Not that there’s anything wrong with being a life insurance salesman. Just that it doesn’t really require a degree.)
    It's a ticket to the big leagues in business. I was never interested in business.

25. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,637 Times in 27,298 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

"Women now outnumber men in med school: 50.5% of Medical School Graduates are Female"

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lif...d-15919684.php

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-26-2021), Guno צְבִי (09-26-2021)

27. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    Note to most people. Avoid the poisoning your mind will get by attending most colleges.

This post is as stupid as it gets.
    Last edited by Trumpet; 09-26-2021 at 07:11 AM.
    Lock Him Up

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-26-2021)