Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: More men are abandoning college. Professor explains why this is dangerous

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,472 Times in 52,478 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    How many of you "Pro Union" liberals/democrats are actually union labor? Or hire union labor? Or are a signatory Union company? You know, actually pay the wage and benefits. I am sure I will here crickets on this question.
    I was in an airline pilot union. A rare white-collar union with members who lean Right. The primary reason for an airline union is to prevent accident since accidents often kill pilots or their careers regardless of fault. Airlines push their pilots on sleep issues and many accidents were fatigue related.

It's impossible to say how many lives were saved by my union's safety actions, but over the decades, I'm sure it was many. Same goes for saving pilots and their careers. Nobody except the pilot's families care when a cargo plane crashes. The planes are insured and they can hire another pilot.

I'm not a big union guy and,yes, there is a darkside to unions just like there's a darkside to corporate domination over every working American. I am a big fan of balance. Too much domination by one side or the other usually falters as we are seeing happen in America today and with the UAW in the 70s/80s.

After being a military brat for 18 years then signing up myself for another 13 years*, being dumped into the civilian marketplace came as a shock. First, there were shitload more dumbasses out there than I believed could have existed. Literally people with more money than brains. There was also a lot of backstabbing, lying and cheating going on at all levels of employment.

I became truly surprised these assholes were actually making money with an airline when I saw money leaking daily due to incompetent leadership and policies. I became a "unionist" because my life and career literally depended upon stopping the excesses of an incompetent leadership which didn't even know how to fly.

Sorry for the rant. Becoming a union worker was really the lesser of two evils in that scenario and, IMO, I did a lot of good working in safety. Unions may be a pain in the ass, but they are a necessity in the transportation business. Find another way to maintain balance between labor and management/politicians.

*Active duty. Fucking Russians pussied out and I became another Cold War casualty in 1991. I immediately became drilling Reservist.
    Last edited by Doc Dutch; 09-28-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Sailor (09-28-2021)

3. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    You think empowering the Federal government can be controlled to never hurt your own beliefs or goals. You are wrong.

It's like Pastor Niemöller's famous poem updated for the our Era of Extreme Politics:

First they came for the abortionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not an abortionist.

Then they came for the non-Christians, and I did not speak out—because I was a Christian.

Then they came for the gun-owners, and I did not speak out— because I was not a gun-owner.

Then they came for me because I disagreed—and there was no one left to speak for me.
    I never said I was in favor of empowering the government, so again, are you on crack?

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

this is good for the country, bad for academia.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    this is good for the country, bad for academia.
    I think that is the key point, universities are worried about enrollment

6. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    I never said I was in favor of empowering the government, so again, are you on crack?
    You support Trump. You're drinking the Kool-Aid, son.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-28-2021)

8. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    You support Trump. You're drinking the Kool-Aid, son.
    and you support the party of big government crackhead

9. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    and you support the party of big government crackhead
    Lies only make you a liar, son. I don't support "the party of big government ".

10. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    wow, such a shame you spent 27 yrs sucking up gravy in the chow hall instead of working those equations and splitting atoms, eh slugger?
    and there it is.....the 'eliteness' comes shining through as they expose their hatred for those that volunteer to protect their freedom.........I wonder if it has to do with exposing your cowardice?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

11. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    I think it is certain "elements" of the male population

I was honestly shocked to see that Occupy Democrats posted this meme on its Facebook page and stated not every kid is cut out for college and that a couple of liberal teachers I know posted this on Facebook as well. You go back several decades and I would expect it. Not today though.

12. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 58 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    NYU Professor Scott Galloway says the drop in men going to college is part of a growing mating crisis in the US and that the country runs the risk of producing "too many of the most dangerous cohort in the world" if the trend isn't reversed.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/business...bbe05a178.html

Attachment 20897
    I believe equal protection of our own at-will employment laws for unemployment compensation in our own at-will employment States can help solve this dilemma as well under our form of Capitalism. It would enable more guys to pursue an education instead of an income under any form of Capitalism.