Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: More men are abandoning college. Professor explains why this is dangerous

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    NYU Professor Scott Galloway says the drop in men going to college is part of a growing mating crisis in the US and that the country runs the risk of producing "too many of the most dangerous cohort in the world" if the trend isn't reversed.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/business...bbe05a178.html

Attachment 20897
    A smart American male can make way more money in plumbing, electrical, earth moving, HVAC or general carpentry these days than by going into debt to going to school. Anyone that goes into debt for college that isn't going to be a doctor or lawyer is fucking nuts

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    TBH, I think he's just pulling your chain.

Meanwhile, as the stats prove, all the old, retired fuckwads need to pull their heads out of their asses and recognize that women don't go to "finishing school" anymore and they go to college for the same reasons as men do; as a means to a successful career.

What the old fuckwads aren't seeing is that, sure, both men and women get married, but that doesn't mean the woman kicks off her shoes, spreads her legs and becomes a Soccer Mom. She continues to work. Only fucking dumbasses think a HS diploma waitress job is better than a college-degree middle-management job.

As the BLS.gov link proves, dual income homes almost double their income. Although it doesn't explain why, it's a good guess that the reason is to support a higher standard of living and to save for the future.

https://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/ne...seholds-study/
    More than 50% of U.S. households are dual income. In 2019 — the latest available nationwide data — 53.3% of households are dual income, up from 51.9% in 2010.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2020/ar...h-children.htm
    The percentage of dual-income households with children under age 18 has been on the rise since the 1960s, surpassing the percentage of father-only-employed households in the 1970s.1 This rise most likely reflects a cultural shift involving women in the workforce. The female labor force participation rate increased from 1960 onward, peaking at 60 percent in 1999.2 Monitoring and analyzing this trend is important, because the expenditure patterns of dual-income households could differ from those of single-income households, affecting the U.S. economy....

https://www.pewresearch.org/ft_dual-...s-1960-2012-2/
    In most younger, college-educated families, both parents work outside the home and share household/parenting duties too. My sons-in-law cook, clean, shop, do yardwork, take care of repairs and the vehicles, change diapers, haul the kids to activities, go to parent-teacher conferences, etc. So do my daughters. The Leave It to Beaver days are thankfully long gone.

Once again, these kind of threads show the gulf between RWers and the left. Why is the right so afraid of education?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

So the winnowing of the male college educated sees the rise of working class male disenchantment, year over year.
    Are they choosing not to go to college or can they not compete with women now? The situation was reversed and
    I expected parity, but not women kicking male ass 60/40.

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile, as the stats prove, all the old, retired fuckwads need to pull their heads out of their asses and recognize that women don't go to "finishing school" anymore and they go to college for the same reasons as men do; as a means to a successful career.

What the old fuckwads aren't seeing is that, sure, both men and women get married, but that doesn't mean the woman kicks off her shoes, spreads her legs and becomes a Soccer Mom. She continues to work. Only fucking dumbasses think a HS diploma waitress job is better than a college-degree middle-management job.

As the BLS.gov link proves, dual income homes almost double their income. Although it doesn't explain why, it's a good guess that the reason is to support a higher standard of living and to save for the future.

More than 50% of U.S. households are dual income. In 2019 — the latest available nationwide data — 53.3% of households are dual income, up from 51.9% in 2010.

The percentage of dual-income households with children under age 18 has been on the rise since the 1960s, surpassing the percentage of father-only-employed households in the 1970s.1 This rise most likely reflects a cultural shift involving women in the workforce. The female labor force participation rate increased from 1960 onward, peaking at 60 percent in 1999.2 Monitoring and analyzing this trend is important, because the expenditure patterns of dual-income households could differ from those of single-income households, affecting the U.S. economy....

I think dual income families is the only way "the American dream", (economic advancement and home ownership in a family context) can be reliably achieved anymore.
    I think the other options are confirmed bachelorism/etism? (both sexes) coupled with hard work. To have one partner sit on the couch and do housework and raise the kids
    while the other provides a single income is not a path I would counsel anyone from a purely financial planning perspective.

Bottom line is adults have to work to make their way in the USA. Each person must have an income. Outliers are very high earners.
    I guess they can afford a harem or gigolo.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-27-2021)

6. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    In most younger, college-educated families, both parents work outside the home and share household/parenting duties too. My sons-in-law cook, clean, shop, do yardwork, take care of repairs and the vehicles, change diapers, haul the kids to activities, go to parent-teacher conferences, etc. So do my daughters. The Leave It to Beaver days are thankfully long gone.

Once again, these kind of threads show the gulf between RWers and the left. Why is the right so afraid of education?
    Being afraid and knowing when it is the right choice is two different things. Degrees do not guarantee a bright future

7. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    So the winnowing of the male college educated sees the rise of working class male disenchantment, year over year.
    Are they choosing not to go to college or can they not compete with women now? The situation was reversed and
    I expected parity, but not women kicking male ass 60/40.
    Wouldn't it be interesting if more and more guys stayed home and raised the kids, while the women earned the household income? I don't think that will happen, but it's fun to ponder what society would look like.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Maybe most Republicans here who qualified for college went to Liberty University or some other bible study school?

I literally never met a female in college I had the impression was there strictly for the Mrs degree.

9. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't it be interesting if more and more guys stayed home and raised the kids, while the women earned the household income? I don't think that will happen, but it's fun to ponder what society would look like.
    I fear that would be more of the lion pride model. Women does everything, useless males lounging around the house, like many Republican
    households.

10. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    Being afraid and knowing when it is the right choice is two different things. Degrees do not guarantee a bright future
    Nope, they're not. That's why we need to respect -- and fund -- trade schools as much as we do college. Unless you are lucky enough to have a relative or friend who can apprentice and teach you, it's pretty hard to get any sort of decent-paying blue collar type job anymore, especially since the unions are mostly gone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (09-27-2021)

12. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    I fear that would be more of the lion pride model. Women does everything, useless males lounging around the house, like many Republican
    households.

Except that when there's a huge income disparity between the members of a couple, the one with the dough calls the shots.

Far better for all if we keep on doing what we're doing. Both parents have careers, share household duties, and raise their kids -- what great role models.

13. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nope, they're not. That's why we need to respect -- and fund -- trade schools as much as we do college. Unless you are lucky enough to have a relative or friend who can apprentice and teach you, it's pretty hard to get any sort of decent-paying blue collar type job anymore, especially since the unions are mostly gone.
    Auto workers in IN, KY, TN, and AL would disagree as they are all much happier employees while drawing good wages

14. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,490 Times in 7,581 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Except that when there's a huge income disparity between the members of a couple, the one with the dough calls the shots.
    lol. Not how it works in my marriage.

15. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    Auto workers in IN, KY, TN, and AL would disagree as they are all much happier employees while drawing good wages
    They would disagree with what? Trade schools for those who don't want to go the academic college route? Why would they disagree with that?

16. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Far better for all if we keep on doing what we're doing. Both parents have careers, share household duties, and raise their kids -- what great role models.
    Agreed. Who wants a house like Sailor's cookie cuttered across the land, the kind where he belches and farts in his catsup stained wife beater while his long suffering wife
    clocks in at the factory for 12 hours a day while he watches soap operas and scarfs down on can after can of cold spaghettios,
    the ones with the little hot dogs in them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-27-2021)

18. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They would disagree with what? Trade schools for those who don't want to go the academic college route? Why would they disagree with that?
    that good paying blue collar jobs are hard to find without unions. I agree with Trade schools, my HVAC friend and electrician friends all live better that most of the attorneys we know