Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "How is this not an attempted coup?"

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Default "How is this not an attempted coup?"

"A conservative lawyer working with then-President Donald Trump's legal team tried to convince then-Vice President Mike Pence that he could overturn the election results on January 6 when Congress counted the Electoral College votes by throwing out electors from seven states"

"The scheme put forward by lawyer John Eastman was outlined in a two-page memo which has not previously been made public, provides new detail showing how Trump and his team tried to persuade Pence to subvert the Constitution and throw out the election results on January 6."

"The Eastman memo laid out a six-step plan for Pence to overturn the election for Trump, which included throwing out the results in seven states because they allegedly had competing electors. In fact, no state had actually put forward an alternate slate of electors -- there were merely Trump allies claiming without any authority to be electors."

"Under Eastman's scheme, Pence would have declared Trump the winner with more Electoral College votes after the seven states were thrown out, at 232 votes to 222. Anticipating "howls" from Democrats protesting the overturning of the election, the memo proposes, Pence would instead say that no candidate had reached 270 votes in the Electoral College. That would throw the election to the House of Representatives, where each state would get one vote. Since Republicans controlled 26 state delegations, a majority could vote for Trump to win the election."

The plan was first proposed to Pence when Eastman was with Trump in the Oval Office on January 4, during one of Trump's attempts to convince Pence that he had the authority to stop the certification of the election."

"You really need to listen to John. He's a respected constitutional scholar. Hear him out," Trump said to Pence at that meeting"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/polit...emo/index.html

This isn't a brainstorming session nor some maverick assistance coming up with ideas, but an actual plan that Trump not only bought but tried to convince Pence to enact. Certainly explains why Trump told the crowd that morning that Pence has to "to the right thing," and why Trump crucified Pence on twitter shortly thereafter

2. The Following User Groans At archives For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-25-2021)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-25-2021), Jack (09-25-2021), PoliTalker (09-25-2021), Tranquillus in Exile (09-25-2021)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

That shows how much of a patriot Trump is. The country couldn't manage without him, so he had to be President. <SARC>

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-25-2021), PoliTalker (09-25-2021), Trumpet (09-26-2021)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    That shows how much of a patriot Trump is. The country couldn't manage without him, so he had to be President. <SARC>
    Actually a little scary, especially considering if he had managed to pull it off a near entire political party would have supported him and a major news network would have defended him

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-25-2021), Jack (09-25-2021), PoliTalker (09-25-2021), Trumpet (09-26-2021)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Kind of goes to show how fragile this 'Democratic' Government is. When 'One Man, One Vote' doesn't decide the Winner, anything can happen.
    It looks like things are being put in place to make sure the 'correct' candidate becomes the next President, you know, the one chosen by the correct people.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-25-2021), PoliTalker (09-25-2021), Trumpet (09-26-2021)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,570 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Long time Repub says it is time to worry. https://www.rawstory.com/trump-2024-david-gergen/ The end of the American experiment is possible and it will be Trump causing it.

11. The Following User Groans At Nordberg For This Awful Post:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-25-2021)

13. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

As Eastman well knew, no President in over two centuries has tried anything like that. I don't know of one who would even have considered it. I guess Trump is something special.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-25-2021), PoliTalker (09-25-2021)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

As Eastman well knew, no President in over two centuries has tried anything like that. I don't know of one who would even have considered it. I guess Trump is something special.
    Trump looks up to Putin. Putin probably encouraged Trump. Maybe gave Trump some tips. Let's be real here. We're lucky Biden wasn't poisoned.

16. The Following User Groans At Jack For This Awful Post:

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-25-2021), PoliTalker (09-25-2021)

18. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 168 Times in 158 Posts

FDR gave us the New Deal to save "capitalism". The food riots of 1931 were 90 years ago and the Civil War was 161 years ago. The entire system is close to collapse, so that will make 3 revolts in less than 2 centuries.

19. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lionfish For This Post:

Callinectes (09-25-2021), Controlled Opposition (09-26-2021)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

"How is this not an attempted coup?"
    well, for one thing, no one actually attempted it.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-25-2021), Controlled Opposition (09-26-2021), Matt Dillon (09-27-2021)

23. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello archives,

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    "A conservative lawyer working with then-President Donald Trump's legal team tried to convince then-Vice President Mike Pence that he could overturn the election results on January 6 when Congress counted the Electoral College votes by throwing out electors from seven states"

"The scheme put forward by lawyer John Eastman was outlined in a two-page memo which has not previously been made public, provides new detail showing how Trump and his team tried to persuade Pence to subvert the Constitution and throw out the election results on January 6."

"The Eastman memo laid out a six-step plan for Pence to overturn the election for Trump, which included throwing out the results in seven states because they allegedly had competing electors. In fact, no state had actually put forward an alternate slate of electors -- there were merely Trump allies claiming without any authority to be electors."

"Under Eastman's scheme, Pence would have declared Trump the winner with more Electoral College votes after the seven states were thrown out, at 232 votes to 222. Anticipating "howls" from Democrats protesting the overturning of the election, the memo proposes, Pence would instead say that no candidate had reached 270 votes in the Electoral College. That would throw the election to the House of Representatives, where each state would get one vote. Since Republicans controlled 26 state delegations, a majority could vote for Trump to win the election."

The plan was first proposed to Pence when Eastman was with Trump in the Oval Office on January 4, during one of Trump's attempts to convince Pence that he had the authority to stop the certification of the election."

"You really need to listen to John. He's a respected constitutional scholar. Hear him out," Trump said to Pence at that meeting"

This isn't a brainstorming session nor some maverick assistance coming up with ideas, but an actual plan that Trump not only bought but tried to convince Pence to enact. Certainly explains why Trump told the crowd that morning that Pence has to "to the right thing," and why Trump crucified Pence on twitter shortly thereafter
    This is pretty convincing evidence that Trump was absolutely trying to subvert the election.

I hope he is charged with a crime over this, but I can see why it would not happen. Enforcing the law just becomes so political at the top level. It needs to be an ironclad case. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know exactly what kind of evidence would be needed. But I get it that if it is not a rock solid case, and it gets brought, and Trump is not convicted, then that plays right into his 'witch hunt' narrative, and ends up hurting the Democrats and the rule of law.

It's just so frustrating that he can do this subversive stuff and get right away with it. That hurts our nation, too.

It's just mind-boggling.

How can Trump get this close to destroying our democracy and NOT have to answer for it? He was trying to overturn the legal election. He sent that mob to the capitol to do just that. If that is not incitement of insurrection, then what is it?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-25-2021), Tranquillus in Exile (09-26-2021)

25. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Talking about coups, why isn't the likes of Shrillary and her gang in jail for the bullshit Russian probe, eh Arsecheese?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (09-26-2021), Matt Dillon (09-27-2021)

27. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Long time Repub says it is time to worry. https://www.rawstory.com/trump-2024-david-gergen/ The end of the American experiment is possible and it will be Trump causing it.
    Raw Sewage, I thought even you were better than that?

28. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Talking about coups, why isn't the likes of Shrillary and her gang in jail for the bullshit Russian probe, eh Arsecheese?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Tom the farang who has nothing to do with America
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

29. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

After all the bullshit, lies and fairy stories concocted by CNN, why the fuck should anybody believe this? You Septics deserve your piss poor media.