Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do progressives have to learn things that should be so obvious?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    That negative view of human nature is not a given at all. I'm sure to a pessimistic old conservative it might seem like people are all just lazy and don't really want to work, but the real world does not reflect that. People actually like working, they like being prodcutive, and they like being a contributing member of a functional society and economy. People like to know they are part of something larger than themselves.

There has already been a very successful 2-year test of a UBI in Stockton CA:

"Among the key findings outlined in a 25-page white paper are that the unconditional cash reduced the month-to-month income fluctuations that households face, increased recipients' full-time employment by 12 percentage points and decreased their measurable feelings of anxiety and depression, compared with their control-group counterparts.

The study also found that by alleviating financial hardship, the guaranteed income created "new opportunities for self-determination, choice, goal-setting, and risk-taking." It furthered recipients' ability to cover unexpected expenses, which researchers noted was particularly important given the onset of the pandemic.

Individuals spent most of the money on basic needs, including food, merchandise, utilities and auto costs, with less than 1% going toward alcohol and/or tobacco."

"While the study's findings were cheered by those involved, as well as many mayors, on Wednesday, some experts said more research is needed.

Matt Zwolinski, director of the Center for Ethics, Economics and Public Policy at the University of San Diego, told The Associated Press that while the findings are "really good news for supporters of a basic income guarantee," the study is limited because it lasted only two years, adding that people are unlikely to drop out of the labor force if they know the extra money is temporary."

"A number of pilot programs are already in the works in places like Durham, N.C., New Orleans and Gary, Ind., where officials announced one such initiative just last week.

Tubbs told NPR in January that he believes the time is right for the idea of universal basic income — of which Martin Luther King Jr. was an early proponent in the 1960s — to finally take hold.

"We are literally at ground zero with sort of the racial reckoning we're having but also with the economic impacts of COVID-19," he said. "When I think if we can get a guaranteed income, an income floor, at this time, we also have to have a conversation about the moral awakening our country needs because, again, as Dr. King said, poverty robs us of the richness of a society where everyone's given the opportunity to realize their full potential.""

I'm glad to hear that Phoenix is also going to test the concept.

I expect all the tests will yield the same results seen in Stockton. It only makes sense. People like working. They are going to stay busy whether there is greater pressure to do so or less.

It should also be noted that because recipients have more money to spend, they frequent local businesses causing an economic boost to the community. All that consumer spending creates demand and more jobs.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 09-24-2021 at 07:50 AM.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A lot of people have plenty of money - more money than they really need - but they choose to work anyway.

That shows that the belief that 'people are just lazy and want to be paid to not work' is false.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Leave it to conservatives to see the worst in people.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,473 Times in 3,395 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Here, Marty, put your glasses on:
    Marty- “I doubt many have even heard of Yang's idea.”

“We’ve seen a lot of cities across the country doing this direct assistance and I’m glad that we’ll be joining them in giving money to folks,” Vice Mayor Carlos Garcia said. “It’s not just for rent or utilities, but if they do have child care needs, if they do have to get medicine, whatever it is, I think people know best what their needs are.”
    You're trying too hard. Had you come up with something about a $15 minimum wage (which progressives generally do favor) or defunding police departments, you might have scored but you didn't. The Phoenix lottery wasn't mentioned in the particular post you challenged but since you've raised it anyway, yes, as I said in the first post I doubt many progressives around the country are familiar with it.
    "Give pearls away and rubies but keep your fancy free."

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,582 Times in 9,989 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 873 Times in 830 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    This from ita guy that's never worked a day in his life!!
    Jade has always claimed to dislike trolls with a passion. Anyone else notice that as the Biden blunders continue to pile up that Jade has basically become NOTHING BUT a troll? I sure have.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-24-2021)