Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: A mortal blow to Young Earth creationism

1. #421 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I never trust Facebook quotes. Best to go straight to the source "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius.
    Direct to the source is always a good move.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #422 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    duhhh little girl duhhhhh
    Are you still pissed at me, Ms. B?

3. #423 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Are you still pissed at me, Ms. B?
    later, asshole gator

4. #424 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    For some reason the extremists have become more shrill and fixed in their positions. I think there used to be a little more respect for facts. Now, there are a lot of people fully willing to propagate lies they know are untrue and know have been utterly debunked. Strict literal Creationism and Kraken theories are two prime examples
    It could also be that these nuts are more visible now on the Internet. Back in pre-Web days, they were just an occasional human interest story in the entertainment section of the daily paper. The Internet and (R) politicians gave them a voice that is far too loud given their numbers, and so did the MSM.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (09-23-2021), Cypress (09-23-2021), Doc Dutch (09-23-2021)

6. #425 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It could also be that these nuts are more visible now on the Internet. Back in pre-Web days, they were just an occasional human interest story in the entertainment section of the daily paper. The Internet and (R) politicians gave them a voice that is far too loud given their numbers, and so did the MSM.
    A product of the Information Age is Information Overload. With human beings, the older they are the more the overload.

People will adjust.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-24-2021)

8. #426 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

A product of the Information Age is Information Overload. With human beings, the older they are the more the overload.

People will adjust.
    Did you just call me an overloaded old broad?

Sometimes I think that maybe we might rethink teaching everyone how to read. When it comes to crazy conspiracies and their believers, being able to read and share them isn't much advantage to society overall.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-24-2021)

10. #427 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

People competing for limited resources is the problem.
    Then we certainly don't need any more humans on the planet.

We gotta use what we have, make sure everyone on the planet has what they need so they stop having so many babies.

Virtually all excess population growth occurs among the world's poorest people. When people have their needs met, they naturally have fewer babies.

We could so use a powerful central world government to get all the humans on Earth organized toward the common goal of prosperity for all.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. #428 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Did you just call me an overloaded old broad?

Sometimes I think that maybe we might rethink teaching everyone how to read. When it comes to crazy conspiracies and their believers, being able to read and share them isn't much advantage to society overall.
    No, but there are definitely some overloaded old broad and geezers on this forum.

Passing common sense computer control would be a good mission for the Democrats; rigorous testing and licensing for all who possess one of the most dangerous weapons in the world: a computer.

OTOH, there are plenty of alternative plans. One is to improve genetic testing and assessment then kill off any idiots in the womb during prenatal checkups.

Another is the Virus 100 plan where global scientist develop a virus that kills off anyone with an IQ less than 100. That'll wipe out about half of humanity along with 75% of the Party of Trump.

A third option is Hunger Games meets citizenship example where all HS graduates (or dropouts as soon as they drop out) participate in six months of testing with a survival test being the final stage. The latter is where most who fail would be "lost".

A fourth is to bring back the draft with a conscientious objector option in the Peace Corps.

12. #429 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

We gotta use what we have, make sure everyone on the planet has what they need so they stop having so many babies.

Virtually all excess population growth occurs among the world's poorest people. When people have their needs met, they naturally have fewer babies.

We could so use a powerful central world government to get all the humans on Earth organized toward the common goal of prosperity for all.
    The major fly in the ointment is "How do we stop people from having babies?"

I like Ford's comment to Congress in 1974: “A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.”

13. #430 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Hello Dutch Uncle,

So you are a one world government fool? You think that will help? You want prosperity work for it !

14. #431 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    So you are a one world government fool? You think that will help? You want prosperity work for it !
    You won't achieve wealth by being a lackey to a scammer and swindler the likes of Donald J Trump.
    Lock Him Up

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-24-2021)

16. #432 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

The major fly in the ointment is "How do we stop people from having babies?"
    We spread prosperity. People who have everything they need do not have too many babies.

I like Ford's comment to Congress in 1974: “A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.”
    A big government is inevitable.

We in the USA are in the process of figuring out how to do democracy. It began with an idea that the governed could form their own government instead of being at the whims of a monarch. Along the way we found out that the rich are quite adept at corrupting democracy. So the current challenge is to figure out how to curtail the corruption of wealth and greed. Once we do that we could try to expand our form of government to cover the world.

Meanwhile, the communist form of government is also doing quite well in China. That also could end up being the world government if we don't get our act in gear.

Both forms of government have realized that absolute freedom cannot be possible. Both forms of government restrict freedom to whatever extent is deemed necessary. It appears that the big question which remains is which form will be more effective in the long run.

If we can't get past our greed problem, China will probably end up helping us. That won't be pretty.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

17. #433 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

We spread prosperity. People who have everything they need do not have too many babies.

A big government is inevitable.

We in the USA are in the process of figuring out how to do democracy. It began with an idea that the governed could form their own government instead of being at the whims of a monarch. Along the way we found out that the rich are quite adept at corrupting democracy. So the current challenge is to figure out how to curtail the corruption of wealth and greed. Once we do that we could try to expand our form of government to cover the world.

Meanwhile, the communist form of government is also doing quite well in China. That also could end up being the world government if we don't get our act in gear.

Both forms of government have realized that absolute freedom cannot be possible. Both forms of government restrict freedom to whatever extent is deemed necessary. It appears that the big question which remains is which form will be more effective in the long run.

If we can't get past our greed problem, China will probably end up helping us. That won't be pretty.
    Agreed on the general concept, but plantations owners were both prosperous and had lots of babies. IMO, switching from an agricultural base to an industrial base is what reduced the need/desire for replication of people.

Children are both a family's workers and retirement plan in agricultural societies. In industrial societies the society itself attracts workers from the fields and provides the retirement plan.

Agreed on big government. Greed is a human survival trait taken to extremes. "Saving for a rainy day" is good for both people and governments alike. Hoarding to the detriment of others is not.

The problem is that, yes, there is a scarcity of supplies. If you don't believe me, go to Walmart and look at the empty spaces on the shelves. Not that anyone is starving in my neighborhood, but it's interesting to see how badly our nation fucked up the COVID response.

If we can fuck up something so simple, how can we really trust a "world government' to have more power to do the same?

18. #434 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,512 Times in 6,255 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

We need the USA to stop sabotaging the United Nations for Israel's interests. That would set an example.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-24-2021)

20. #435 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed on the general concept, but plantations owners were both prosperous and had lots of babies. IMO, switching from an agricultural base to an industrial base is what reduced the need/desire for replication of people.

Children are both a family's workers and retirement plan in agricultural societies. In industrial societies the society itself attracts workers from the fields and provides the retirement plan.

Agreed on big government. Greed is a human survival trait taken to extremes. "Saving for a rainy day" is good for both people and governments alike. Hoarding to the detriment of others is not.

The problem is that, yes, there is a scarcity of supplies. If you don't believe me, go to Walmart and look at the empty spaces on the shelves. Not that anyone is starving in my neighborhood, but it's interesting to see how badly our nation fucked up the COVID response.

If we can fuck up something so simple, how can we really trust a "world government' to have more power to do the same?
    We probably can't in this day and age but the possibility remains for the future.