Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast

Thread: A mortal blow to Young Earth creationism

1. #601 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    ....and holding a gun while yelling "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT, GODDAMIT!!!" It works on Mormons and salesman too.
    That's one good thing about living in the boonies -- we're not plagued by salesmen selling either religion or other stuff. Those LDS boys would have a tough time riding their bikes all the way up here. lol

That being said, I heard a car crunching in the driveway one morning a couple years ago. It was leaving. We figured it was just someone who got the wrong address, but found one of those JW tracts stuff in the door. It's possible that the pentacle wind chime and the raven wall sculpture by the door encouraged them not to knock. Heheheheh.

You might enjoy this little essay. It was written by "Oz," Oberon Zell-Ravenheart. He is a founder of the Church of All Worlds. You'll remember that from Heinlein's book, which it's based on. Never thirst.

https://www.ulcministers.org/blogs/1...e-other-people
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-26-2021)

3. #602 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,446 Times in 52,462 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Being a medical person, I use the word in that sense. As I've said multiple times, I have no beef with any religions. Just don't want them mixed in with our system of government and used to formulate our laws. Not yours, not mine, not anyone's.
    Agreed on keeping our Constitutional Federal Republic secular and to consider anyone trying to push through their brand of religion to be an anti-Constitutional anti-American.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-26-2021)

5. #603 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's one good thing about living in the boonies -- we're not plagued by salesmen selling either religion or other stuff. Those LDS boys would have a tough time riding their bikes all the way up here. lol

That being said, I heard a car crunching in the driveway one morning a couple years ago. It was leaving. We figured it was just someone who got the wrong address, but found one of those JW tracts stuff in the door. It's possible that the pentacle wind chime and the raven wall sculpture by the door encouraged them not to knock. Heheheheh.

You might enjoy this little essay. It was written by "Oz," Oberon Zell-Ravenheart. He is a founder of the Church of All Worlds. You'll remember that from Heinlein's book, which it's based on. Never thirst.

Where can I get a five-foot model of the Enterprise?

FWIW, I, too, am a minister of ULC....although my official title is now High Priest Dutch of the Uncles.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

7. #604 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,681 Times in 27,326 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I rarely get religious proselytizers knocking on the door, but my plan next time is to tell them I am Muslim and ask if they would like to hear the good news from the prophet Muhammad.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-26-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-26-2021)

9. #605 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed on keeping our Constitutional Federal Republic secular and to consider anyone trying to push through their brand of religion to be an anti-Constitutional anti-American.
    Yep. I also don't want any of them forcing public schools to teach their brand of how-it-all-got-started in science classes. There's plenty of room for that in a comparative world religions class.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (09-26-2021)

11. #606 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I rarely get religious proselytizers knocking on the door, but my plan next time is to tell them I am Muslim and ask if they would like to hear the good news from the prophet Muhammad.
    LOL! You can give that claim even more credence by answering the door in a robe, which unfortunately isn't fastened.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (09-26-2021), Doc Dutch (09-26-2021)

13. #607 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Where can I get a five-foot model of the Enterprise?

FWIW, I, too, am a minister of ULC....although my official title is now High Priest Dutch of the Uncles.
    I am also ordained. It is good for doing weddings for folks who don't have a minister or who don't belong to a particular religion, but don't want to get married at the courthouse.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

15. #608 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Good plan!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (09-26-2021)

17. #609 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep. I also don't want any of them forcing public schools to teach their brand of how-it-all-got-started in science classes. There's plenty of room for that in a comparative world religions class.
    That's part of secular government.

What the fucking morons don't realize is that once the camel's nose is in the tent, along comes all the other religions per the 14th Amendment.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (09-26-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-26-2021)

19. #610 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Your combination of ignorance and arrogance caused you to miss the part where I said commercial airliners. Before covid, the world averaged 150,000 commercial flights every day. A lot of those flights took off weighing slightly under 1 million pounds.

We should be using solar and wind wherever possible, but what you willfully ignorant refuse to accept is that diesel has 100 times the stored energy of lithium ion batteries. Commercial shipping and airliners will be dependent on diesel for a very long time.

20. #611 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's part of secular government.

What the fucking morons don't realize is that once the camel's nose is in the tent, along comes all the other religions per the 14th Amendment.
    Exactly. I doubt the fundies who send their kids to public school and want creationism taught would be happy to have all the other creation stories taught in science class too. If I was a public school science teacher and forced to present creationism as an actual science, I would also present some Native American creation myths, along with those of other cultures around the world. Then we would have a "contrast and compare" exam on them all, with a final essay question on which is the most believable -- and WHY. lol

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

22. #612 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Your combination of ignorance and arrogance caused you to miss the part where I said commercial airliners. Before covid, the world averaged 150,000 commercial flights every day. A lot of those flights took off weighing slightly under 1 million pounds.

We should be using solar and wind wherever possible, but what you willfully ignorant refuse to accept is that diesel has 100 times the stored energy of lithium ion batteries. Commercial shipping and airliners will be dependent on diesel for a very long time.
    So you don't think that a prototype military solar-powered aircraft, if successful, would find its way into the commercial sector eventually? You know, like we did with the Sopwith Camel and other WWI planes?

You are not good at this. Get you on back to your girly gossip where you can finally be a star.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-26-2021)

24. #613 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you don't think that a prototype military solar-powered aircraft, if successful, would find its way into the commercial sector eventually? You know, like we did with the Sopwith Camel and other WWI planes?

You are not good at this. Get you on back to your girly gossip where you can finally be a star.
    I doubt goat/Controlled Opposition know much about science. Solar-powered aircraft exist. I suspect the first military usage is high-altitude 24 hour drone surveillance;

Slow with large wings containing solar cells and and batteries for night which can be maneuvered around the world albeit slowly. It's radar signature may be so slight that it can't be seen.

Anything over 10,000 feet is pretty safe from smaller SAMs like the SA-7 and SA-9; https://old.weaponsystems.net/weapon...%20Gaskin.html

To be sure, they would be up around 15,000' or higher, mainly to say out of visual sight.

https://www.unifly.aero/news/solar-p...r-up-to-a-year
    BAE Systems and Prismatic, two British aerospace firms, are developing a drone supposedly capable of remaining in the sky for an entire year at high altitudes. The drone could be described as a High Altitude, Long Endurance (HALE) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

Called PHASA-35 (which stands for ‘Persistent High Altitude Solar Aircraft’), the drone will be fitted with lithium-ion batteries and ultra-lightweight gallium arsenide solar cells to allow it to remain at altitudes between 55,000 and 70,000ft for up to 12 months. The aircraft’s battery is to be charged during the day by the sun, which allows it to operate throughout the night.

Photo-recce would be the initial mission but making one large enough to carry a Hellfire missile would be a desirable accomplishment.

https://www.baesystems.com/en/articl...s-first-flight

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

26. #614 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,681 Times in 27,326 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Because religion denies anthropology and science in general. Cypress was already pretty clear that s/he posted this to further prove that Young Earth creationists are living in a fantasy land.
    The majority of Christian denominations accept that evolution and religion are compatible. Catholics, Methodists, mainline Protestants, etc.

For that matter, Judaism and Buddhism are not opposed to evolution.

The southern fundamentalists just think they get to speak for world Christianity more broadly.

Moral of the story: My thread title was neither anti-christian nor anti-religious.

It was anti-ignorance.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Diesel (09-26-2021), Doc Dutch (09-26-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-26-2021)

28. #615 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

You're the flat earther of E=M.