Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: A mortal blow to Young Earth creationism

1. #526 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

It is what they have been told by the right wing talk pundits who are loathe to go against big oil and big coal advertising money.
    You don't get to control energy markets, fascist.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

2. #527 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

I read up on current perception of the Kon Tiki expedition. Most of science now disagrees with Heyerdahl. DNA shows that the South Pacific was likely settled by people From southeast Asia.

"Heyerdahl's hypothesis of Polynesian origins is overwhelmingly rejected by scientists today. Archaeological, linguistic, cultural, and genetic evidence all support a western origin (from Island Southeast Asia) for Polynesians via the Austronesian expansion.[1][2][3] "

But there is some genetic evidence that indicates an influence of South America:

"Genetic analysis of Polynesians and Native South Americans, published in Nature in July 2020, has revealed that several eastern Polynesian populations have signs of an ancient genetic signature that originated from Native South American people. An initial admixture event between Native South Americans and Polynesians, discovered by statistical analysis, took place around AD 1150–1230.[43][44]"

I guess it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. Evidence now suggests both Southeast Asian and some South American genetics in the South Pacific Islands.
    There is no science here.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

3. #528 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The Bering Strait landbridge is the most logical access for large groups of people even though the Kon-Tiki proved Polynesians could have crossed the Pacific.

I don't know if any DNA evidence exists of a Euro migration. It's possible such ventures from both directions died out from starvation, disease or other humans.

20,000 years is a long time for things to happen.
    I Love how paleoanthropology has brought together archaeology, climatology, genetics, even linguistics, and related disciplines to create the story of humanity.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-25-2021), PoliTalker (09-25-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-25-2021)

5. #529 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I Love how paleoanthropology has brought together archaeology, climatology, genetics, even linguistics, and related disciplines to create the story of humanity.
    So have other religions. Meh.

6. #530 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    LiO batteries must be charged. They are not an energy source by themselves. Charging them takes a long time compared to what you get out of them. A typical car, for example, requires several hours to recharge from a fully drained cell to a fully charged one. Meanwhile, it only takes a few minutes to refuel a gasoline or diesel car. Electric cars are quiet (too quiet!), can easily be built to handle snow, etc. They are expensive however, and they do not make a practical cross country vehicle. Cars that travel cross country, trucks, and trains all use carbon based fuels for a reason.

People will buy the energy source they prefer. Attempting to control the energy market by government is fascism.
    There is a place for solar and wind for personal use. My point is it's impossible to scale a battery to power a container ship. The density is too low and the cost is too high. Dems refuse to do their research.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to goat For This Post:

Into the Night (09-25-2021)

8. #531 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello evince,

I read up on current perception of the Kon Tiki expedition. Most of science now disagrees with Heyerdahl. DNA shows that the South Pacific was likely settled by people From southeast Asia.

"Heyerdahl's hypothesis of Polynesian origins is overwhelmingly rejected by scientists today. Archaeological, linguistic, cultural, and genetic evidence all support a western origin (from Island Southeast Asia) for Polynesians via the Austronesian expansion.[1][2][3] "

But there is some genetic evidence that indicates an influence of South America:

"Genetic analysis of Polynesians and Native South Americans, published in Nature in July 2020, has revealed that several eastern Polynesian populations have signs of an ancient genetic signature that originated from Native South American people. An initial admixture event between Native South Americans and Polynesians, discovered by statistical analysis, took place around AD 1150–1230.[43][44]"

I guess it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. Evidence now suggests both Southeast Asian and some South American genetics in the South Pacific Islands.
    It's this kind of stuff that makes me feel I want to be a geneticist in my next life.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-25-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-25-2021)

10. #532 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    There is a place for solar and wind for personal use. My point is it's impossible to scale a battery to power a container ship. The density is too low and the cost is too high. Dems refuse to do their research.
    Some pretty large ships (dinghies by comparison to a modern container ship) sailed the seas powered exclusively by the wind (the old squared rigged sailing ships). They were capable of carrying a modest amount of cargo. The one designed to do this (and made the Dutch East India company the success it was) was a little ship called a 'floyt'. It reduced the gun decks to almost nothing, and used as large and as square a hull as possible. Even the rigging was simplified, requiring a smaller top men crew to operate the ship.

Today, some of these ships still remain and are still maintain, but not for carrying cargo...as vessels used to train people how to operate these things. Such cruises are typically sold as a long vacation trip where you get to learn how to sail a square rigged ship. Most of the ones surviving today are brigs. I believe there is still a frigate or two still around, but one was lost at sea in a hurricane (all hands were rescued by the Coast Guard, using carbon based fueled ships and a couple of carbon based fueled helicopters).

One local here is the Lady Washington, a brig based out of Port Angeles. She appeared in Disney's Carribean pirate movies, as a British ship. After the first movie, most of that work was done by CGI and various stage work and the Lady Washington wasn't needed for the sequels.

From time to time we see her sailing around Puget Sound, typically when training a new top men crew. Passing ferries give her a blast with their horns in salute, and she returns a 'broadside attack' as a return salute. Great fun, and a beautifully restored ship.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

goat (09-25-2021)

12. #533 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Why is that? Blows the land bridge theory out of the water, so to speak? Land bridge or not, DNA tells the story. Modern and paleo Indians are genetically similar to Eurasians and not to Europeans. Figuring out how they arrived -- and when -- is the mystery part of this story.
    I just remembered that you posted the recent report of 21,000 year old footprints in New Mexico. I compared that to the age of the Meadowcroft rock shelter in Pennsylvania, which was continually inhabited starting at 19,000 years B.P..

The oldest South American Paleolithic human remains are around 15,000 years B.P.

Now it all starts to fall into place. Migration from northeast Asia should result in older evidence of human habitation in western North America than eastern or points south.

Its good when the evidence matches the Theory.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-25-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-25-2021)

14. #534 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why is it, do you think, that the Trumpanzees and other Qpers are so afraid of the future w/o oil and coal?
    They fear losing their fortunes and advantages over most other human beings.

I know you hate anything to do with a religion but there truly is a lot of wisdom in all lasting major religions. Thou Shalt Not Covet is central to all three of the major Abrahamic religions.

Buddhism teaches that want causes suffering. It teaches the difference between want and need. Most Americans don't need most of the shit they want as proved by the fact less than 11% live below the US poverty line...which is a damn sight better than most of the world: https://www.census.gov/library/publi...o/p60-270.html

That said, most great wisdom points out that it's better for society to plan for the future instead of party like it's no tomorrow as we are doing in the US. This includes trying to take things from others, which is greed, pure and simple.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

15. #535 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why is it, do you think, that the Trumpanzees and other Qpers are so afraid of the future w/o oil and coal?
    Because they think they won't have this.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (09-25-2021), ThatOwlWoman (09-25-2021)

17. #536 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lemme guess; you’re neither an engineer nor a person with an iota of imagination.

Only the fucking morons believe that battery tech is static. Idiots like you want everyone to believe that Franklin’s Leyden Jars were equal to the batteries in a Tesla or a laptop. Bad news for idiots; they are not the same.

Tech changes. Currently there is a limit on the type of batteries being used, which is the best we have, which is a shitload better than when I was putting new carbon batteries in my Motorific cars.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/ben-frankl...-tenderization
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-25-2021)

19. #537 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    They fear losing their fortunes and advantages over most other human beings.

I know you hate anything to do with a religion but there truly is a lot of wisdom in all lasting major religions. Thou Shalt Not Covet is central to all three of the major Abrahamic religions.

Buddhism teaches that want causes suffering. It teaches the difference between want and need. Most Americans don't need most of the shit they want as proved by the fact less than 11% live below the US poverty line...which is a damn sight better than most of the world: https://www.census.gov/library/publi...o/p60-270.html

That said, most great wisdom points out that it's better for society to plan for the future instead of party like it's no tomorrow as we are doing in the US. This includes trying to take things from others, which is greed, pure and simple.
    I really wish you'd drop the erroneous idea that I "hate anything to do with religion." It's utterly false. I am not an atheist, and I have found religions endlessly fascinating over the decades of my life. What I despise are those who use their chosen faith as a club rather than as a crutch to help themselves be better ppl.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (09-25-2021)

21. #538 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

You don't know squat, but then that's to be expected given your penchant for whackjob conspiracy theories. It wasn't that long ago that a home solar array was out of reach for the average family, large and unsightly as well. The problem with you Luddite science-deniers is you want to give up before we've even begun. Don't worry; we'll go on without you.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

22. #539 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

ok, Solar ship.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

24. #540 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

I really wish you'd drop the erroneous idea that I "hate anything to do with religion." It's utterly false. I am not an atheist, and I have found religions endlessly fascinating over the decades of my life. What I despise are those who use their chosen faith as a club rather than as a crutch to help themselves be better ppl.
    I am with you. I don't give a fuck what people believe. Their beliefs can help them improve themselves, like AA meetings for example.

I am with you with hating those organized religions trying to force their beliefs on others and making laws out of it. FUCK THEM. They need to be destroyed.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post: