Members banned from this thread: LV426

Thread: Biden’s vaccine mandate spells confusion and worry for some employers

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default Biden’s vaccine mandate spells confusion and worry for some employers

Labor and employment attorney Rebecca Demaree said that more information about the vaccine mandate and testing requirements will be available when OSHA releases its Emergency Temporary Standard. In the meantime, business leaders have been left scratching their heads.

“Practically half an hour after the president made his speech, I had a line of people on the phone wanting to know when we should comply and how we needed to comply,” Demaree told the Washington Examiner during a phone call.

One qualm that small businesses have had is the seemingly arbitrary number of 100 employees.

“What’s the science between 99 and 100?” Lawrence asked. “That’s one of my questions. It doesn’t make any sense.”
    While Lawrence is vaccinated, he said that some of his employees, particularly his truck drivers, may not want to get inoculated. He said his complaint isn’t about the vaccine but rather that the Biden administration wants to mandate it. There is a sense of confusion about the mandate, he said.

“Trying to come up with a strategic plan when you don’t know the rules of the game,” Lawrence mused of the company’s current situation, adding that he is waiting until more details are available before implementing any companywide procedures.

Lawrence said the prospects of the mandate are “scary” for him because weekly testing for his employees who don’t want to be vaccinated would entail a logistical nightmare. Testing would be manageable for the company staff members who are static and work in the office or warehouses, but it would be challenging to keep up with for the company’s drivers, he said.

Truckers at Lawrence’s small business are out seven to 10 days at a time and traveling to different places, which he said would make scheduling weekly compliance tests challenging. “And last I checked, they didn’t have semi parking in most of the clinics around the country, so how am I supposed to get my drivers tested on a weekly basis?” Lawrence wondered.

Not only will the move be logistically challenging, one of the most glaring questions for business owners is who is going to pay for weekly testing for employees who refuse to be vaccinated. While massive corporations with thousands of employees may be able to absorb the cost should the government require employers to pay, smaller businesses with just over 100 employees could end up struggling.

Deric West is the president of Honeoye Falls Marketplace and Mendon Meadows Marketplace, two grocery stores located south of Rochester, New York. West said he has about 100 employees at one store and 50 at the other and expects the government to calculate those as one entity, meaning that his stores will fall under the umbrella of the vaccine mandate.

West told the Washington Examiner that if companies have to pay for COVID-19 tests for several employees every week, the costs could add up and create a “tremendous burden” for employers. The cost of the testing could end up being passed down to consumers, he said.

Inflation in the United States has ballooned to unexpected levels this year. Consumer prices increased 5.3% in the year ending in July, according to a report by the Department of Labor. While several factors, including increased demand, are behind the higher numbers, requiring employers to pay for tests could add to the price of goods.

“Whatever industry you’re in, that cost is going to have to be absorbed,” West said.

Lawrence also worried about testing costs and guesses that his business may end up shouldering the burden.

“As usual as a small-business owner, I assume that it’s just going to get pushed back on the company,” Lawrence said.

Biden’s edict also comes at a time when businesses across the country are facing labor shortages.

“I’m afraid we’ll lose drivers because they’re just not going to do it. And they’re not going to want to comply with the weekly testing either,” Lawrence said, pointing out that his company is already short on labor right now.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/b...some-employers

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,260 Times in 33,910 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

It’s a novel virus.