Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Exit TX' - Abbott and his clique are chasing away tech companies, end of boom?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    You're in Texas, with Indiana yearnings and a complete queen.
    I guarantee you couldn't make anything of it if given 5k acres in Texas.
    He would probably turn it into the largest pickle park in the country.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    He'd open up a non-state "rest area".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

Sailor (09-15-2021)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

So Captain Poopeye, I understand that you're rather fond of pickles.
    Lock Him Up

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,956 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    Tech companies that have already relocated to Texas are now fretting over the possibility that the state's extreme politics will hamstring their ability to recruit top talent. As the Washington Post writes, "In August, Texas had 33,843 tech job openings — the second highest in the United States after California — according to a report from the Computing Technology Industry Association. That’s up 56 percent from a year earlier.

Vivek Bhaskaran, chief executive of an Austin-based software company that produces online surveys, told the Post the company was already finding it "extremely challenging" to attract tech workers to the state. The abortion ban, Bhaskaran said, "seems like an extremely unnecessary conversation we’re going to have to have."

In fact, just two days after the ban went into effect, Bhaskaran convened a virtual town hall for female employees of the company, QuestionPro, and told them the company would pick up the cost of any abortion services they sought out of state.

The company's director of marketing, Crystal Wiese, said the town hall was comforting on one level but disconcerting on another.

“There was a reassuring feeling, but it’s not the kind of conversation you expect to have with your CEO," she said.

Similar to Bhaskaran, the chief executive of the Dallas-based dating app Match is working to cover employee costs for anyone traveling out of state for abortion services. Chief executive Shar Dubey, who immigrated to America from India a quarter-century ago, circulated a company memo blasting the abortion ban.

"I am shocked that I now live in a state where women’s reproductive laws are more regressive than most of the world, including India,” Dubey wrote. “Surely everyone should see the danger of this highly punitive and unfair law.”

The Texas abortion ban also prompted Salesforce chief executive Marc Benioff to send a Slack message to employees nationwide saying the company would help employees and their immediate families move to another state if they felt reproductive healthcare wasn't accessible enough where they lived. Benioff later explicitly invoked Texas in a tweet offering to help staff "exit TX."

The Post also talked to workers who have either moved to Texas or considered it. To say that GOP governance of the state isn’t exactly a draw would be an understatement.

Valerie Veteto, a freelance copywriter specializing in tech writing, relocated to Austin from San Francisco just last fall. Guess what? The hip vibe and lower cost of living aren't worth the tradeoff for the state's right-wing bent and governmental incompetence. Between the great power grid freeze earlier this year and fringe GOP politics, Veteto and her boyfriend are hightailing it to New York City.

San Diego-based David Panarelli, a user experience designer, had also considered making the move with his wife. But they balked at the Texas GOP's handling of the pandemic, immigration, and other issues. The abortion ban was the final nail in the coffin.

“If I’m in a situation where I have to make an extremely irreversible decision, I don’t want anyone making that decision for me,” Panarelli told the Post. “It’s not about women. It’s about human rights.”

Seems like banning abortions, targeting voters of color, freezing your constituents to death, and ensuring the pandemic would flourish in your state isn't the hot seller Abbott says it is.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...to-crisis-mode

hit em in the wallet, maybe the greedy bastards will pay attention
    Are you saying super woke high tech companies and their pussified employees are now going to pack up and leave Texas? Oh, the horror of it all.
    I'm guessing that Texan's will be very sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionfish For This Post:

Grumpy (09-15-2021)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    Are you saying super woke high tech companies and their pussified employees are now going to pack up and leave Texas?
    Not that many went to Texas in the first place.

Those that did 10 years ago are the ones leaving now.

TX got some tech people in 2011 and has been trying to ride that diminishing wave ever since.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Does this mean that you were wrong about the Des Moines Register ???

WOW ... make an error and then deflect ... WOW
    It is rated neutral, unlike you. https://www.allsides.com/news-source/desmoines-register

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,614 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    Tech companies that have already relocated to Texas are now fretting over the possibility that the state's extreme politics will hamstring their ability to recruit top talent. As the Washington Post writes, "In August, Texas had 33,843 tech job openings — the second highest in the United States after California — according to a report from the Computing Technology Industry Association. That’s up 56 percent from a year earlier.

Vivek Bhaskaran, chief executive of an Austin-based software company that produces online surveys, told the Post the company was already finding it "extremely challenging" to attract tech workers to the state. The abortion ban, Bhaskaran said, "seems like an extremely unnecessary conversation we’re going to have to have."

In fact, just two days after the ban went into effect, Bhaskaran convened a virtual town hall for female employees of the company, QuestionPro, and told them the company would pick up the cost of any abortion services they sought out of state.

The company's director of marketing, Crystal Wiese, said the town hall was comforting on one level but disconcerting on another.

“There was a reassuring feeling, but it’s not the kind of conversation you expect to have with your CEO," she said.

Similar to Bhaskaran, the chief executive of the Dallas-based dating app Match is working to cover employee costs for anyone traveling out of state for abortion services. Chief executive Shar Dubey, who immigrated to America from India a quarter-century ago, circulated a company memo blasting the abortion ban.

"I am shocked that I now live in a state where women’s reproductive laws are more regressive than most of the world, including India,” Dubey wrote. “Surely everyone should see the danger of this highly punitive and unfair law.”

The Texas abortion ban also prompted Salesforce chief executive Marc Benioff to send a Slack message to employees nationwide saying the company would help employees and their immediate families move to another state if they felt reproductive healthcare wasn't accessible enough where they lived. Benioff later explicitly invoked Texas in a tweet offering to help staff "exit TX."

The Post also talked to workers who have either moved to Texas or considered it. To say that GOP governance of the state isn’t exactly a draw would be an understatement.

Valerie Veteto, a freelance copywriter specializing in tech writing, relocated to Austin from San Francisco just last fall. Guess what? The hip vibe and lower cost of living aren't worth the tradeoff for the state's right-wing bent and governmental incompetence. Between the great power grid freeze earlier this year and fringe GOP politics, Veteto and her boyfriend are hightailing it to New York City.

San Diego-based David Panarelli, a user experience designer, had also considered making the move with his wife. But they balked at the Texas GOP's handling of the pandemic, immigration, and other issues. The abortion ban was the final nail in the coffin.

“If I’m in a situation where I have to make an extremely irreversible decision, I don’t want anyone making that decision for me,” Panarelli told the Post. “It’s not about women. It’s about human rights.”

Seems like banning abortions, targeting voters of color, freezing your constituents to death, and ensuring the pandemic would flourish in your state isn't the hot seller Abbott says it is.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...to-crisis-mode

hit em in the wallet, maybe the greedy bastards will pay attention
    COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

THE FACTS:

Silicon Valley Is Flooding Into a Reluctant Austin

The city, which has been booming for a decade, has been the top destination for tech workers leaving California during Covid.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ey-transplants

Thinking about Relocating? The Texas Tech Economy is Booming!

The Job Market is Hot!

It is to no surprise that Texas is becoming the new hotspot for technology companies, as many startups and large corporations are making the move from Silicon Valley to the business-friendly state. Austin is currently experiencing a massive boom in technology jobs and experts predict that the city’s tech economy will climb 16% over the next 5 years.

Thinking about relocating to Texas but don’t know where to start your job search? Reach out!
    We have remote job opportunities for Texas residents. ​We can introduce you to the right people

https://www.signifytechnology.com/bl...omy-is-booming
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    F Y I ... "Our ratings are fluid and subject to change over time as new information is gathered and biases change."

I stand by what I said.

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,924 Times in 13,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

DailyKos? LMAO! Have you even read the article? What tech companies? They reference an online polling company, a dating site, a freelance copywriter and a "user experience designer". Those all translate into low rent, meaningless, low paying jobs. That require typical democrat skills. None. Holy fuck are you gullible.
    I love this paragraph from the article for it's complete detachment from reality...

"Governmental incompetence?" Compared to San Francisco, Austin and Texas are paragons of government competence.

You don't have in Texas:

Massive homeless issues
    Cities having to publish poop maps
    Out-of-control shoplifting
    Portions of cities all but abandoned by police
    Housing prices so high only the filthy rich can afford a home
    The highest cost of living in the continental US

I like that Valerie Veteto also ignored California's AB-5 gig worker law that basically means she can't be a "freelance copywriter" in California anymore.

But I can appreciate that Leftists / Progressives are stupid enough to let petty politics based on dogma and ideology make stupid economic decisions for them.

Or this piece of myopic tripe:

How's that compared to rolling brownouts and blackouts on a regular basis, a crippling water shortage, forcing people to live in their cars or tents because the price of housing is beyond their means to pay, while coddling criminals, drug addicts, and the insane letting them run wild in the streets, and pushing racism of a different stripe (anti-White racism among other variants) like California does?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Sailor (09-16-2021)