Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Governor orders schools to drop standards for academic performance

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You've already said you are hesitant about this proposal because you don't like DsSantis (a Republican) so it's political from the get go.
    No problem. I'll answer to that just as soon as you can quote a single post of mine where I said I "do not like DeSantis."

I simply do not recall saying that. Ball is in your court.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Well, it's pretty clear why you're having difficulty in understanding my position. It's because you rewrote my post, made a strawman out of my position, then ripped it to shreds.

I think testing has value. I don't think funding should be pulled from low performing schools with the intent of seeing them closed down to be replaced with for-profit schools as a reward for huge campaign donations.

Public schools don't have to earn a profit, so all of the funding goes into education.

For-profit schools have to pay for all the same things as public schools, and also generate a profit for investors. That profit comes at the expense of education. Logically, the for-profit model is at a disadvantage in providing a good education and generating good jobs.
    For-profit schools? Wtf?

The State of FL does not run "for-profit" schools.

There are private schools, but they don't get much from the state like public schools do.

There are standards set by the state, yes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2021), Truth Detector (09-17-2021)

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Hello cawacko,

No problem. I'll answer to that just as soon as you can quote a single post of mine where I said I "do not like DeSantis."

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Untrue. Students graduates without being able to read, write, or do simple arithmetic. That's why there are remedial courses in colleges for these kids, and why employers can get anyone that is capable of running a till without extensive re-education and training.
    That's what changed when I was in college: Admission standards.
    The 1st couple years, you were either college material or not.
    After the change, I got credits and money for tutoring remedial math. (After they let in a bunch of people that were clearly not college material)
    I won't say they all weren't, because some did get it after a while. And that's kinda why I did it, because I had shitty math teaching (mostly) all throughout my public school education.
    But that 1st Algebra in college, that prof was good and taught the stuff right and after that it was a breeze. It's amazing what the right teacher can do and I tried to share a little bit of that.
    The success rate was around 20%, but most of these kids should not have been allowed into college at all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2021)

6. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,028 Times in 8,284 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    For-profit schools? Wtf? The State of FL does not run "for-profit" schools.
    DeSantis is a big supporter of government funded for-profit schools. Roughly 10% of Florida students are educated in the 658 charter schools. About half those charter schools are for-profit. These charter schools have been having trouble making the grade in standardized tests, and so now the Republicans are against standardized tests.

There are private schools, but they don't get much from the state like public schools do.
    Charter schools are required to get more per student than public schools. That means more from the state, but also the state requiring them to get more from local governments.

Somehow even with more money, they do a poor job of educating students. Every year a student is in a Florida charter school, they lose a month of education compared to their public school peers. It is a real disaster.

There are standards set by the state, yes.
    Yes, the standards for testing public and charter schools.

I remember when the Republicans were all about standardized testing. Now they realize their plans fail, they are against them.

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,028 Times in 8,284 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

But that 1st Algebra in college
    Uhm.... Wow... Uhm... Algebra is a high school or below level subject. There are a few years more of math before you can get to a college level.

I have always been of two minds when it came to math requirements for college. While I definitely would like everyone admitted to college to at least be ready to take Calculus, and to take Calculus in college, I can understand some major might not actually need it. Depending on the day, I can go either way on that question.

I suppose Algebra should be taught in community colleges, not for associate degrees (or any college credit), but for the high school dropouts who want to get to a level where they can start getting college credits.

8. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 661 Times in 608 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Gov. DeSantis Announces End Of ‘Florida Standards Assessment’ In Schools (msn.com)

Will ReTrumplicans administer snake handling, vaccine denial and flat earth appreciation credits instead?

It's so "customizable" not to prove your kids know the three Rs

Obviously to meet his DeTreasonous standards of the gutter who is preying on Florida like a vulture in heat. Let this be a terrible lesson learned that elections have consequences, especially when there are them who vote against their own interests for un American so-called republicans and tolerating elections being rigged and corrupted among other un American so-called repuke creatures.

9. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Thank you future president Desantis
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 661 Times in 608 Posts

Hopefully as a result of being banished from Florida to be tried for crimes against that state, DeSantis at also hopefully being convicted of his high crimes to the height of high treason, sedition and felonies, will be directed to drop his draws while being processed at the DOC for a ass busting and well deserved prison term for no less than 20 years.

11. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Sounds to me like it creates a system where individual schools can have feedback to improve, but there will be no overall comprehensive comparison. If a school hits on something that works, there will be no way to know if it is working better than or worse than something another school is doing. I see it as all the schools being left to their own devices as far as improvement, with no state oversight.

But that's just my initial impression of it. Like you, I would like to see more in order to get a better idea of what is being proposed.

It is possible to simply object to Trump supporters' ideas and question their motives on the basis of principle.
    TDS. Trump is not even involved in the change to Florida schools.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

12. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Unions support workers. I don't think they are taking a political position. Why are you trying to make it political?
    Unions are political, dumbass.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

13. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

So you do like DeSantis??? Which is it, dude???

14. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    DeSantis is a big supporter of government funded for-profit schools. Roughly 10% of Florida students are educated in the 658 charter schools. About half those charter schools are for-profit. These charter schools have been having trouble making the grade in standardized tests, and so now the Republicans are against standardized tests.

Charter schools are required to get more per student than public schools. That means more from the state, but also the state requiring them to get more from local governments.

Somehow even with more money, they do a poor job of educating students. Every year a student is in a Florida charter school, they lose a month of education compared to their public school peers. It is a real disaster.

Yes, the standards for testing public and charter schools.

I remember when the Republicans were all about standardized testing. Now they realize their plans fail, they are against them.
    This is not about politics, dude. Why are you trying to make it about politics?

15. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Uhm.... Wow... Uhm... Algebra is a high school or below level subject. There are a few years more of math before you can get to a college level.

I have always been of two minds when it came to math requirements for college. While I definitely would like everyone admitted to college to at least be ready to take Calculus, and to take Calculus in college, I can understand some major might not actually need it. Depending on the day, I can go either way on that question.

I suppose Algebra should be taught in community colleges, not for associate degrees (or any college credit), but for the high school dropouts who want to get to a level where they can start getting college credits.
    Then why are students showing up in college that don't understand algebra????

16. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gemini104104 View Post
    Obviously to meet his DeTreasonous standards of the gutter who is preying on Florida like a vulture in heat. Let this be a terrible lesson learned that elections have consequences, especially when there are them who vote against their own interests for un American so-called republicans and tolerating elections being rigged and corrupted among other un American so-called repuke creatures.
    It is Democrats that faulted the election in 2020 and the election in the SOTC.

17. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gemini104104 View Post
    Hopefully as a result of being banished from Florida to be tried for crimes against that state, DeSantis at also hopefully being convicted of his high crimes to the height of high treason, sedition and felonies, will be directed to drop his draws while being processed at the DOC for a ass busting and well deserved prison term for no less than 20 years.
    Making up 'crimes' again. No specifics? Just your hate speech.