Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Governor orders schools to drop standards for academic performance

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,667 Times in 17,927 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    You didn't read the article did you? Replacing outdated FSA with more individualized testing sounds awesome....What is your objection?
    Micawber rarely reads his threads. That's why he appears so uninformed.

Nice catch.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2021), TOP (09-16-2021)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,211 Times in 10,689 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 579 Times in 563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Because he was trolling. But the topic is a legitimate one. It's not often we see a Republican Governor and the teacher's union come together in agreement on something. If we found a bi-partisan solution to improving how we deliver education that would be great. But this is just in the proposal stages. I don't know if any other state has implemented something similar.
    The guy never read his link. He only created the headline he wanted to because of hate for anything Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lionfish For This Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2021), TOP (09-16-2021)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    The guy never read his link. He only created the headline he wanted to because of hate for anything Florida.
    Yes, he was trolling. That doesn't mean the topic can't be discussed.

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

And to be clear Poli, I'm not saying in any way you have to support what's being proposed here. I need to read up on it more myself to get a fuller understanding of what all it entails before I can I like or dislike it. But it's pretty clear the above was simply a non-principled partisan knee jerk response. If you're going to call out others for doing it, well you know what they say about glass houses...
    Sounds to me like it creates a system where individual schools can have feedback to improve, but there will be no overall comprehensive comparison. If a school hits on something that works, there will be no way to know if it is working better than or worse than something another school is doing. I see it as all the schools being left to their own devices as far as improvement, with no state oversight.

But that's just my initial impression of it. Like you, I would like to see more in order to get a better idea of what is being proposed.

It is possible to simply object to Trump supporters' ideas and question their motives on the basis of principle.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,114 Times in 11,687 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Gov. DeSantis Announces End Of ‘Florida Standards Assessment’ In Schools (msn.com)

Will ReTrumplicans administer snake handling, vaccine denial and flat earth appreciation credits instead?

It's so "customizable" not to prove your kids know the three Rs
    Schools already graduate kids that don't know how to read, write, or even are capable of enough arithmetic to balance their own checkbooks or run a till.
    Employers, if they want to bother, have to provide this remedial instruction for them. So do colleges.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    I thought standardized tests were rayciss because blacks routinely do worse on them than whites and Asians.
    Nah. Just useless.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    To graduate from HS, a student must be required to pass the GED. That will force the schools to actually teach. At least it will for a few years till the GED is dumbed down too.
    Untrue. Students graduates without being able to read, write, or do simple arithmetic. That's why there are remedial courses in colleges for these kids, and why employers can get anyone that is capable of running a till without extensive re-education and training.

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,491 Times in 7,582 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    McSlawber never read the whole story before emotionally erupting.
    Typical of McSlobber. Reminds me of the time he creamed his pants posting an article that California sued ExxonMobile for causing global warming/climate change/climate crisis/end of the world after that suit had been thrown out.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2021), Truth Detector (09-17-2021)

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    We are all still waiting on you to get us that evidence that trump graduated at the top of his class with an MBA... I am sure it is just an oversight by you.
    Irrelevant. Straw man fallacy. Pivot fallacy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Truth Detector (09-17-2021)

14. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Sounds to me like it creates a system where individual schools can have feedback to improve, but there will be no overall comprehensive comparison. If a school hits on something that works, there will be no way to know if it is working better than or worse than something another school is doing. I see it as all the schools being left to their own devices as far as improvement, with no state oversight.

But that's just my initial impression of it. Like you, I would like to see more in order to get a better idea of what is being proposed.

It is possible to simply object to Trump supporters' ideas and question their motives on the basis of principle.
    So the teachers union, which supports this, went from among the biggest Democratic supporters to now basically being Trump supporters. That's quite the shift they have made. Why do you think they would do that?

15. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

So I'm curious here, we often hear teachers complain about standardized tests. So if less testing means less oversight are teacher's trying to get away with not having oversight on their performance?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-16-2021)

17. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

So the teachers union, which supports this, went from among the biggest Democratic supporters to now basically being Trump supporters. That's quite the shift they have made. Why do you think they would do that?
    Unions support workers. I don't think they are taking a political position. Why are you trying to make it political?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

So I'm curious here, we often hear teachers complain about standardized tests. So if less testing means less oversight are teacher's trying to get away with not having oversight on their performance?
    It would appear so.

19. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

Unions support workers. I don't think they are taking a political position. Why are you trying to make it political?
    You've already said you are hesitant about this proposal because you don't like DsSantis (a Republican) so it's political from the get go. And how often do we hear Republicans are anti-unions and anti-workers? Yet DeSantis is proposing reform that the union likes?

This whole discussion is a perfect example of why so much sh*t is f'd up in our country. It's not about the merits of the proposal rather the politicians proposing it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2021)

21. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

It would appear so.
    We often hear Republicans are anti-teachers. Would you consider it anti-teacher to say the teachers union is avoiding oversight on the performance of their employees? (I guess you just did so that is rhetorical)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2021), PoliTalker (09-16-2021)