Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Florida Governor orders schools to drop standards for academic performance

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    That's the Republiqan approach to education -- blame the teachers. Poor outcomes are never the fault of lack of funding, poor parenting and involvement, etc. Nope, it's the teachers' fault and test scores prove it.

Now they'll have to come up with a more creative way to blame them.
    I will blame any teacher that spends their time teaching propaganda instead of skills. It is excess funding and method of funding that does it.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Yes. They take Civics in elementary and Government in high school. Our teacher makes them write (email nowadays) one of their congressmen/women at both state and national levels.

My boy is majoring in Mathematics though he definitely won't be a teacher. He likes the research/statistical side of things but doesn't know yet what direction he will go with it. And you're right, the Consumer Math was great and coupled with Sophomore General Buisness helped us be very prepared to run a household.
    Good for him! He might change his mind; STEM teachers are in great demand. One of my sons-in-law graduated with a BS in math two years ago, with the aim of being a teacher. He just got a good teaching position in a district close to home (they live in upper VT). He worked FT while getting his degree. Your son can also go into computer/IT with a math degree. Good money there too.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

evince (09-20-2021), leaningright (09-20-2021)

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    My biggest complaint about math classes is that they are math classes, taught in a vacuum with no application. Dry as dust and just as ignored.

Teach math with applications. There is a reason this stuff developed. It was because of figuring out the application for it, and how that application worked.

This means, of course, that you are teaching history along with math, including the history of science and engineering. Unfortunately, history teachers do not know science or engineering, and science teachers do not know history. Some engineering teachers know a bit of history of the technology they are teaching, but are often weak on how math applies there and why.

Today's class structures teach mathematics without application. History teachers teach history without application to today. Many history teachers don't even teach history.

That's if they teach anything besides propaganda at all.

After 12 years of school, many of these kids can't even handle arithmetic. In some schools, 2+2=4 is now considered racist.
    Time to let schools return to teachers being able to actually teach....Too many people who've not stepped foot in a school in years...if ever...making decisions when it comes to testing, curriculum, etc.
    Every system, every school, is different....Time to put the students first again...with teachers and parents making decisions...
    Thankfully, there are still great teachers out there willing to put in the work...if they're "allowed" to do so....

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    machine shops and even car chips require math, but im not sure of algebra.
    Machine shops require algebra and trigonometry. Car shops require a basic understanding of algebra.
    Truthfully I never used it after school, but my degree was psyche, and lots of biology
    Biology uses algebra.
    I dont disagree: we should follow Germany and have an wide apprentice program in parternship with business for those not wanting to waste their time with liberal arts
    The liberal arts are:
    * astronomy (makes use of algebra)
    * grammar
    * music (makes use of algebra)
    * public speaking (including philosophy)
    * MATHEMATICS
    * GEOMETRY (requires algebra)
    * logic (another closed functional system like mathematics)

To that I would add an eigth: engineering.

Education is more than learning how to fix a car.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

6. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Time to let schools return to teachers being able to actually teach....Too many people who've not stepped foot in a school in years...if ever...making decisions when it comes to testing, curriculum, etc.
    Every system, every school, is different....Time to put the students first again...with teachers and parents making decisions...
    Thankfully, there are still great teachers out there willing to put in the work...if they're "allowed" to do so....
    No, teachers teaching propaganda shouldn't be teaching.
    and yes, teachers that are capable have their hands tied.

7. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    It is a good thing.
    As a teacher you're obviously well in the know here. Have you had a chance to read/review what's being proposed in Florida? As we know with many gov't programs something can sound good on the surface but when we get into the weeds of it, along with execution, it turns out very differently. You see this as a benefit for students?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (09-20-2021)

9. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    No, teachers teaching propaganda shouldn't be teaching.
    and yes, teachers that are capable have their hands tied.
    This is correct....Good teachers...caring teachers far outnumber the wacky ones...
    They're getting called out...parents are realizing they must take a more active role in their children's education...and the kids are speaking up (and recording)...as they should be... The bad ones will get weeded out... most will leave on their own eventually..what they thought would be a cake job with lots of vacation time...is not.. One already quit this "year"...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

Into the Night (09-20-2021)

11. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    As a teacher you're obviously well in the know here. Have you had a chance to read/review what's being proposed in Florida? As we know with many gov't programs something can sound good on the surface but when we get into the weeds of it, along with execution, it turns out very differently. You see this as a benefit for students?
    Almost everything I've read about this effort from both sides sounds good. I wish my state would follow suit. But as we all know, when politics enter the picture things that sound good at the start often get pulled apart from both directions. Right now I firmly believe it is a good thing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

TOP (09-20-2021)

13. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    This is correct ... however, the point I was making (but only in MY mind) was that to do algebraic division, you need to know how fractions work. That's way some state standards allow algebra to be taught san division.
    The number I gave is a fractional value. You can show fractional values either in reduced undivided form (such as 5-7/8ths on a ruler), or as decimal notation. Division is a binomial operator in the Real Math domain, defined by an axiom. You can't set it aside for algebra.
    Yes we did ... now most third graders (where multiplication is supposed to be taught) go all the way up to the 5's ... they magically pick up the rest later.
    Heh. I prefer to refer to that type of magic as 'magick'. Magic is a stage or street act. They tell you they are lying to you. In magick, they try to portray it as the truth.

I mean this in the full context as Aleister Crowley did in his writings.
    Saw that multiple times paying cash and seeing a free show watching the kid give back the correct change.
    Yeah. It's sad. With the Christmas season coming up, these kids will be working in the stores, and can't handle a cash transaction without calling a supervisor.

14. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,030 Times in 8,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

From my personal point of view, Algebra seems like well below the minimum that should get you a high school diploma. I would like to see Calculus taken by all students before they can start college courses.

I mean "would like" not as weasel words, but merely as what I would like to see. I am not emotional enough about it to push it.

15. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

School daze

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.