Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Florida Governor orders schools to drop standards for academic performance

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    We started algebra in 8th grade middle school.

I thought algebra was the most basic math one could take in high school, there was no back tracking to baby math and arithmetic.

My recollection is that it was the trigonometry, advanced algebra and pre-calculus which were high school electives.

But maybe I just wasn't aware that there was a second track for grease monkeys who just wanted to take Auto shop class.
    As I recall, in h.s. the advanced math classes were geometry, trig, calculus, and Algebra II. H.S. was grades 10-12 but classes you took in 9th grade (which was lumped in with 7th and 8th grades and called jr. high) counted towards your graduation credits. That was when I took "baby math." Despite the fact that they went to a small rural h.s., my youngest two were able to take the above in h.s., plus they offered honors English and college mathematics (calculus, trig) for college credit. Both of them got their college math and English requirements out of the way while still in h.s. Parents of course had to pay for the college credit courses, but even so it was a lot cheaper than actual college tuition.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,417 Times in 16,406 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    That's truly insane, I'll also guarantee that they can't do mental arithmetic to save their lives.
    You would be correct....
    Many today are lost without their phones....of course, if you have no idea what a percentage is, even the phone won't help....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

Into the Night (09-20-2021)

4. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Gov. DeSantis Announces End Of ‘Florida Standards Assessment’ In Schools (msn.com)

Will ReTrumplicans administer snake handling, vaccine denial and flat earth appreciation credits instead?

It's so "customizable" not to prove your kids know the three Rs

I actually agree with the Death Santis on this one.

But I am going to enjoy watching all my uptight Republican friends flip flop on this issue. They loved it when governor Bush instituted standardized testing.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-20-2021)

6. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Some of the thread participants here should spend about a week in a HS classroom....they'd sing a different song...
    Though I doubt they'd last a day or two....

7. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I actually agree with the DeSantis on this one.

But I am going to enjoy watching all my uptight Republican friends flip flop on this issue. They loved it when governor Bush instituted the standards.
    Schools need to be constantly changing and evolving...No one is going to "flip flop"....

8. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    As I recall, in h.s. the advanced math classes were geometry, trig, calculus, and Algebra II. H.S. was grades 10-12 but classes you took in 9th grade (which was lumped in with 7th and 8th grades and called jr. high) counted towards your graduation credits. That was when I took "baby math." Despite the fact that they went to a small rural h.s., my youngest two were able to take the above in h.s., plus they offered honors English and college mathematics (calculus, trig) for college credit. Both of them got their college math and English requirements out of the way while still in h.s. Parents of course had to pay for the college credit courses, but even so it was a lot cheaper than actual college tuition.
    In the small rural school where I graduated (and where I’ve taught math for 33+ years) graduation requirements in the 80’s was two maths. They offered Alg I, Alg II and Geometry for college bound students and General Math and Consumer Math for non college bound students. A semester of General Business was also required. I took them all. As an old guy, looking back and seeing how my classmates have fared through the years (most have done quite well) I think everyone should have been required to t that Consumer Math course.

My son just graduated from the same school. Requirements have changed, budgets have been cut, teachers have been RIFed so fewer math classes are taught. Requirements to graduate, per our state, are at least 3 maths with Alg I being the lowest level and all other courses having to be equal to or greater in rigor than Alg I. There is no room in the day for nor enough teachers to teach a General Business or Consumer Math class.

Ours is a small school. My son graduated with 16 others. He an another classmate are freshmen at OU, both in freshman level Calculus. He started with 12 credit hours from concurrent work while in High School. 2 of his other classmates are in college as well and will do fine. Two are in Tech School, one studying law enforcement (wants to be a game warden) and one becoming a certified electrician. The rest will do various other jobs.

If, as their math teacher, I held their feet to the fire and made them all perform in Algebra II and Geometry at a satisfactory level, about 5 of them would fail. I have the option to require less for satisfactory work. Even though this works it is not the best situation for the kids or for the teacher. There need to be more options like there were in the 80’s for fulfilling Mathematics requirements for graduation from high school. I’ll say it again: Not all kids need Algebra. And I’ll add: All kids need to learn how to be a competent consumer.

Kids drop out of high school all the time. It is very difficult for them to be successful when they do. Many give “academic struggles” as their reason for dropping out. Of those who drop out and give “academic struggles” as their reason, something like 80% or more give math as the subject causing that struggle. There has to be a better way to prepare kids for life after high school without giving them an excuse to throw their hands up and quit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

10. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Schools need to be constantly changing and evolving...No one is going to "flip flop"....
    Haha, last week they all would have argued that standardized testing is the only way to assess how the teachers are performing. These two methods are diametrically opposite.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

12. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Haha, last week they all would have argued that standardized testing is the only way to assess how the teachers are performing. These two methods are diametrically opposite.
    I’m all for a certain amount of testing. How much those tests mean to a kids future or to a school’s funding is where there needs to be change … edited to add: and taking into consideration a student’s prospective post high school goals.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

14. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's simply not true you're so out of the loop...lol

15. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In the small rural school where I graduated (and where I’ve taught math for 33+ years) graduation requirements in the 80’s was two maths. They offered Alg I, Alg II and Geometry for college bound students and General Math and Consumer Math for non college bound students. A semester of General Business was also required. I took them all. As an old guy, looking back and seeing how my classmates have fared through the years (most have done quite well) I think everyone should have been required to t that Consumer Math course.

My son just graduated from the same school. Requirements have changed, budgets have been cut, teachers have been RIFed so fewer math classes are taught. Requirements to graduate, per our state, are at least 3 maths with Alg I being the lowest level and all other courses having to be equal to or greater in rigor than Alg I. There is no room in the day for nor enough teachers to teach a General Business or Consumer Math class.

Ours is a small school. My son graduated with 16 others. He an another classmate are freshmen at OU, both in freshman level Calculus. He started with 12 credit hours from concurrent work while in High School. 2 of his other classmates are in college as well and will do fine. Two are in Tech School, one studying law enforcement (wants to be a game warden) and one becoming a certified electrician. The rest will do various other jobs.

If, as their math teacher, I held their feet to the fire and made them all perform in Algebra II and Geometry at a satisfactory level, about 5 of them would fail. I have the option to require less for satisfactory work. Even though this works it is not the best situation for the kids or for the teacher. There need to be more options like there were in the 80’s for fulfilling Mathematics requirements for graduation from high school. I’ll say it again: Not all kids need Algebra. And I’ll add: All kids need to learn how to be a competent consumer.

Kids drop out of high school all the time. It is very difficult for them to be successful when they do. Many give “academic struggles” as their reason for dropping out. Of those who drop out and give “academic struggles” as their reason, something like 80% or more give math as the subject causing that struggle. There has to be a better way to prepare kids for life after high school without giving them an excuse to throw their hands up and quit.
    I like that consumer math idea. Our district rolled that into the required civics class in 9th grade. One quarter was devoted to creating a family budget, learning how to fill out a 1040, how the stock markets work including having to pick three stocks to follow during the quarter and write a paper on how well (or poorly) they did, and why -- which meant reading the financial section of the daily newspaper. It was an Economics 101 Lite, basically. We also had to learn the Missouri and U.S. Constitutions, memorize a bunch of stuff about them, and had to write a letter to one of our congresscritters or Senators about some issue affecting kids/students. Does your district require Civics as well?

Your son -- no way was HE getting out of math lightly. lol Has he chosen a major yet?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

anatta (09-20-2021)

17. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Now that I think about it, that sounds exactly like what we had. Although I distinctly remember starting Allegra in 8th grade. By the time I got to trigonometry, all the kids in that class seemingly had had college aspirations. Aka, grease monkey free-zone.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

19. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's the Republiqan approach to education -- blame the teachers. Poor outcomes are never the fault of lack of funding, poor parenting and involvement, etc. Nope, it's the teachers' fault and test scores prove it.

Now they'll have to come up with a more creative way to blame them.

20. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

machine shops and even car chips require math, but im not sure of algebra.

Truthfully I never used it after school, but my degree was psyche, and lots of biology

I dont disagree: we should follow Germany and have an wide apprentice program in parternship with business for those not wanting to waste their time with liberal arts

21. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

22. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

I’m all for a certain amount of testing. How much those tests mean to a kids future or to a school’s funding is where there needs to be change … edited to add: and taking into consideration a student’s prospective post high school goals.
    long time since school,
    but that's what it was . your school coursework was a certain percentage of your grade and testing was also

23. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Now that I think about it, that sounds exactly like what we had. Although I distinctly remember starting Allegra in 8th grade. By the time I got to trigonometry, all the kids in that class seemingly had had college aspirations. Aka, grease monkey free-zone.
    Well, we need mechanics as much, if not more, than we need another lawyer or English Lit major. lol

Did your school offer shop and/or home ec? Was PE required?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

leaningright (09-20-2021)